s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

Great 'Stormy' Day.

27 June 2013 | Albuquerque Cays, Columbia
Mark
The grib files had been showing Wednesday as a pretty much wash-out day for several days now, but the day dawned just like all the rest - windy, cloudy, and sun. The latest grib file still showed deterioration by noon. That being the case and the morning being decent, we elected to go on a long hookah in the morning figuring we may not get an afternoon dive. And it was great. There was plenty of light even down to 50' and the hookah pulled easily enough despite the wind (still high teens). We did our usual swim around a mini-atoll starting into the wind so the end of the cive would be easier and it was great. At one point we had wandered so far from the original atoll following arms that reached out that Dave went up to the surface to see where we were. Of course, the tug of the hookah told us which way to swim anyway, but he was amazed how far a field we had wandered. Lots of great fish and curious angels, but none that came up and kissed me like before. After the dive, on our way back to the boat, we stopped by Misty Blue. He was thinking that part of the problem he was having with his outboard was dirty gas, so he wondered if we could spare some. I said, "Of course." and filled his 1 gallon jug from our spares and took it back to him. As we were just getting everything out of the dinghy, a squall came by with heavy rain. It lasted a few minutes and was followed by sunny blue skies. Deb did a bit of laundry and we had lunch and the sky still looked decent so we went out on an afternoon dive. This one ended up being even longer. In addition to curious French angels (the grey ones) we found a pair of curious Queen angels (the beautiful blue and yellow ones). They were not quite as bold, but kept circling around and coming back as I just hung there. Deb saw a Spanish lobster walking across open sand (something you usually only see at night) and successfully grabbed him, took him up to the catch bag hanging on hookah, and eventually had him for dinner. The rest of us had blackened wahoo. When we got back to the boat after the afternoon dive and were cleaning off the hookah, I started it up and began hosing off the area around the recoil starter and the air pump as always. I hit the front of the engine and it died just like you had turned off a switch. And it refuse to restart. We eventually found that the wire that ran from the oil level sensor to an epoxy encase relay had broken. We also frayed the rope on the starter trying to start it, so pulled the engine out of the pan, replaced the recoil starter (Dave had brought a new one) and repaired the epoxy relay lead. There was no way to reattach to oil level sensor as the wire broke right at the fitting, but it had to either be grounded when OK or grounded when not OK. We can try both and use whichever works. The new recoil starter jammed on the first pull. We tore it apart again, examined the unit and found that were the original had 1/4" steel arms to engage the engine, this one had plastic and the torque was deforming them and causing htem to jam in the out position. Had the motor started, they probably would have sheered off. We ended up using the old recoil unit with the new start rope. It worked, but the engine didn't start. We tried un-grounding the relay (though logic suggests that a safety switch should fail in the off mode if disconnected) and it started! So much for logic in small engine design! By then it was 6:30 and the engine was hot from running until the float bowl was empty (something we always do to prevent varnish build up on the jets), so we quit for the night, had mojitos and then dinner. We will put the engine back in the pan and reattach lines, etc. Thursday morning. At least we know the hookah runs again. Maybe Thursday will be the stormy day we were supposed to get today, but if not, we are ready to dive.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009