s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

Plan B

11 July 2014 | In the Gulf Stream
Mark
Our original plan, upon leaving West Palm, was to head to the Chesapeake and then spend a few days "exploring the Chesapeake." No one had really examined what "explore the Chesapeake" meant - we would have plenty of time at sea to do that before arriving. As Dave & I poured over the charts and cruising guide a few things became apparent: traveling at night was not really an option, if we wanted to go ashore in a town it meant paying for a marina with few exceptions as there we few anchorages that would allow dinghy access to town, and a loop up through Chesapeake Bay, through the C&D canal, and back down the Delaware River would take a week even without a layover day to do some exploring on shore. All in all it did not seem to make sense for this delivery. So..... Our current plan is to head directly for Block Island, about 650 nm away. We will be in the Gulf Stream most of the way so we should make good time. As we get closer, we will decide if we want to detour to see the Statue of Liberty and New York harbor before coming up Long Island Sound or just continue off shore to Block. Everyone thought this was the best plan. Yesterday was a great day. There was little wind until about noon so me motored, making 9+ kts thanks to the boost from the stream. By noon, the sea breeze built in - amazing considering we are at least 60nm off shore - and we were able to sail. at nearly the same speed. During the night, the wind faded again and we were also beset by squalls. Around 2:30 AM, Dave & Sharon got me up to help drop the main as we were getting a squall with 20+ kt winds. We got it down without incident and I went back to bed. My watch came @ 4:00 and it rained off and on throughout but with no wind. I tried without much success to dodge a couple of areas of rain. This morning it is still raining and still windless. Hopefully the rain will end and the wind will return by noon again today. The GRIB files predict light winds for the next couple days and then much stronger winds - 2okts from SW, a perfect direction - for several days. Should make for a rapid trip as we can motor in the stream during the light air and have winds to carry us once we lose the stream. The down side of this plan is we will not be close enough to shore for any cell phone contact until we reach Block Island - or NYC if we go there.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009