s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

Wind and wildlife

15 July 2014 | Off Long Island
Mark
Well, as promised, our wind returned. Initially ~15 from S, building to 20-25 SW. Seas, of course, built as well but only from 2' to eventually 5', not bad at all. We were able to sail with main alone at 7-8 kts. Dave really wanted to go over the drop off of Hudson canyon so we angled in toward shore for a while and then gybed and headed across the canyon. At that angle we were able to run out gennie as well as our speed increased to 8-9 with frequent 10s. We were cooking. As evening approached, we were seeing an occasional 20 kts apparent (which meant nearly 30 real) and so Dave decided we should drop the main and sail with just gennie which we were going to do for the night anyways. That dropped us back to 6-7 kts but also made the ride much more comfortable for sleeping overnight. We are able to pick up NOAA weather broadcasts now and through the early evening there were multiple broadcasts about severe weather with thunderstorms packing 1" hail and winds in excess of 40 mph. Initially this was for the Chesapeake (glad we decided not to stop there!) and then up along Long Island. Fortunately, we have been traveling 75-100 nm off shore and none of the storms made it that far out to sea. We saw some spectacular light shows in the distance, but nothing that even came close to threatening us. Another benefit of traveling this far off shore is that all of shipping traffic is closer to shore. At one point, the AIS showed 21 ships between us and the coast, but none within sight (8-10 nm). It is clear we are not in the tropics any more and that we have left the Gulf Stream. The water temp is down to 72* There was too much wind to stop and swim yesterday anyway, but it certainly would not have been as pleasant as before. I need to wear my jacket at night, not for rain, but because it is COLD! I had forgotten how cold it could get at night on the ocean this far North and did not really come prepared. (Of course, I don't own a sweatshirt or even chamois shirt in Panama so I couldn't have packed one if I had thought of it!) Glad I have the waterproof Columbia wind breaker Deb bought me. We have, however, seen more wildlife. Yesterday morning a small pod of dolphin came and swam off our bows briefly. These were big 6-8' Atlantic bottlenose dolphin, not the small ones we have in the Caribbean. It was nice to see them. We also had more fish activity. For nearly 15 minutes we watched a bill fish of some type (?sword, marlin? probably not sail) chase one of Dave's lures. He hit it several times, but never got hooked. Not long after that, he hooked a nice yellow fin tuna on the other lure. This one was probably 5-10 # and made a great dinner for the 5 of us with just a bit left over. I did it seared, half with coffee and half with the Pusser's Creole spice mix Dave got in BVI. Leftover beans & rice and a veggie stir fry rounded out a very fine meal. We should make Block Island today to spend a night at anchor and refill on diesel and water. How long we stay depends on the weather, but from there it is only two more days to NH.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009