s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

Los Dolfnos and spinnakers

01 June 2015 | Off the Mosquito Coast
Mark
This morning I forgot to mention all the fun we had with dolphins yesterday! About 5 nm out from Escuda, I spotted a dolphin swimming beside the boat, heading for the bow. I alerted the others, left the helm to Otto, and rushed to the bow. Sure enough, he began playing back and forth in front of the bow. Soon he was joined by at least a dozen of his friends, including some juveniles, and they all played on our dual bow wakes. The four of us all hung out on the tramp or in the bow seats taking pictures and gawking at our finny friends. There was one in particular that would come up just inside the bow and roll onto his side to look up at us. He did it several times in a row. Sometimes they would jump over and under each other just in front of the bow, other times they would line up 4 or 5 abreast and jump the bow wake. For probably half an hour they frolicked for our enjoyment. And then they were gone. Just like that, all gone. Today started out dreary - overcast with a light drizzle. Worse, the boat was lying broadside to the waves. Probably we were hanging to a current as there was really no wind. It was rather uncomfortable and Jana broke down and took a Sturgeron to calm her stomach. After breakfast, we took the two kayaks and the dinghy in to shore. Approaching the shore was quite a trick as we surfed in on rather large waves. I nearly dumped the dinghy twice, but we made it. Bryan & Jana did better in the kayaks. Next we went up the river. Again the kayaks were better, but I got pretty good at sitting on the bow of dink and paddling to either side. Deb did some beach combing and found an old net float and other treasures. Then we faced the challenge of getting OUT through the breakers. The kayaks bobbed over the breaking waves rather nicely - ? a testament to their design or the skill of the paddler? I found an area of fairly uniform depth and pointed the dink out. I waited for a wave, jumped in, pulled to start engine (first time! - GOOD engine!) and roared out through the breakers. I tried to time each set, but one wave broke directly over Deb. Sorry, dear. We all made it safely back to the big boat and stowed the dinghy and kayaks. Then we weighed anchor and headed for Punta Limon, a staging place for our trip to Chagres tomorrow. The wind was still blowing from the SW and we were headed NE, so of course, IT'S A SPINNAKER RUN! We got our huge green and yellow asymmetrical spinnaker up without difficulty and cruised the entire way at between 6 and 8 kts. Actually we topped out at 7.8 kts, but that was with 8 kts apparent wind! We will anchor for the night and get an early start for Chagres in the morning. Hopefully weather will cooperate and we can do another sunny spinnaker run to get the the entrance nice and early. Stay tuned.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009