s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

Pleasures of the Harbor

05 June 2015 | Portobelo
Mark
First, thanks to Shary for defining our anteater. He was cool - probably in the 20-30# range. We left Chagres yesterday morning. It was overcast and a very light rain fell as we were leaving. It somehow seemed appropriate - the mists rising from the land added tot he mystery of the place. As we worked our way down river, our engine noise offended the wildlife. Birds took flight and the howlers set up a great cacophony - only to be answered by the tribe (is that what a group of them is called?) on the other side of the river. At the mouth, we very carefully followed out "bread crumbs" that we left going in with good watches all around. This time we could see the reef a little better, but it is still a tight passage - literally between a rock and a hard place! Once safely beyond the reefs, we headed for the Atlantic Anchorage for the Panama canal. It must have been a slow day as we only counted about a dozen ships at anchor - we have seen over 100 in the past. For some reason, our AIS was not working so we never got a real count. I looked at the unit and it was flashing away indicating it was receiving signals, but it would not display on the chartplotter - another thing to look at later. The wind was less than 5kts, so we motored, made water and charged batteries. By noon there was a bit of a breeze - still only 7 kts - but we raised sail and at least motor sailed. The sails were full and drawing well even if I still had to listen to the engine. As we approached Portobelo, we noticed what seemed like a lot of boats in the harbor for this time of year. It is a BIG harbor, however, and there was plenty of room. The harbor is deep (50') until you get to the river delta at its source, then it shoals very rapidly. The first time we tried to get too far in. We dropped in 18' of water, but by the time we had 100' of chain out, we were hanging in 6' and might have swung into even shallower water. We picked it up (covered in river mud!!) and reset deeper, dropping in 30' and ending in 19' - very comfortable. Just as we were finishing our set, it started pouring. There had been thunder for a while, but all in the surrounding mountains. The shower only lasted briefly and after drying off, we took dink in to town. We will do the tourist thing today, but yesterday we went to Capt Jacks for internet. We got Terrie's departure pics - thanks! and lots of other email. If any of you have things you simply must send us, send it to the gmail acct now. We can get it this afternoon. Today we will go see the old forts that guarded the entrance, the church of the Black Christ, the old Customs House and the rest of this funky town. We need to buy a few more provisions - mostly veggies and beer, and tomorrow we are off on the last leg to the San Blas. Probably a stop at Linton or Turtle Bay, arriving in Chichime on the 8th. Or at least that is as close to a plan as I am willing to commit ;>)
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009