s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

Hookah Holiday

13 June 2015 | Pugadup
Mark
Friday was a hookah holiday. We made a total of three dives on the reef that our boat is snuggled behind. The hookah ran perfectly and only sipped gas. We probably could have done all three dives on one tank. In the morning, I awakened to a lightening strike less than a mile away. Heavy rain. But then it cleared. The sun came out. While we were all waking up and getting started for the day, a native boat came through the cut in front of our boat and approached us. He had one huge (5# anyway) lobster, a reasonably large one (2#) and a tiny one (<1#). Originally he asked $30, but quickly settled for $20. Jana wanted crab, so he promised to go get us "dos grande congrejo" for $10. He would be back in an hour. Of course, he wasn't; so we went off diving, but when we came back, he was there waiting with two huge crab. He also had another very nice lobster, but Bryan said the $10 was all he had, so the guy took the lobster and left. We still have more than enough. The dive was fantastic. Giant coral heads rising 20' and more off a sandy bottom. Canyons of coral - hard and soft. There was one soft coral 'tree' that must have been 15' tall and 10' wide. Lots of the usual reef fish, but no angel fish and no pelagics. We did see two very large eagle rays swim right in front of us. The swim back in through the cut was a real challenge. Must have been 3+ kt current running against us. Even with four of us swimming, it was a struggle to pull the hookah (and a dive bag with several conch hanging down) against the current. After lunch we did it again, this time going out a different cut and exploring another section of reef. There was quite a surge and visibility wasn't great, but it was still a super dive. This reef featured 'fields' of button coral growing on old reef foundations. They undulated as they stretched for yards and yards. Also large and healthy elkhorn coral. Jana got some great underwater photos. Coming in was again a struggle (One would think the tide would have changed by now, but maybe it isn't tidal?? By the time we were back at the boat, we had recovered from our struggle and everyone was ready to go again. This time we went out the cut in front of the boat and turned right, headed toward the end of the island. This was shallower, averaging 15' instead of 30'. but still had lots of nice coral. For dinner, Bryan and I created a new recipe - ratatouille on the grill. Deb wanted the lobsters baked stuffed, Jana wanted the crab just boiled, but I insisted on a veggie as well. We had eggplant that wasn't getting any younger. Bryan asked about doing it in foil on the grill with tomatoes and onion (which we also have). Well, it lacked zucchini, but that sort of sounded like ratatouille to me, so I chopped everything up added lots of Herbs de Provence and wrapped it n foil. Half an hour later, the crabs were boiled, the lobster was baked and the veggies were done. An incredible feast to end a great day. And between the large body which I cooked and picked and a half of the large tail left over, we should have enough for lobster rolls tomorrow. Just as we were preparing to sit down to eat, I spotted a sailboat motoring along in the dark. I commented on how that is probably not so bad, but arriving ANYWHERE in the San Blas at night is foolish. To make things worse, it appeared he was headed directly toward us. It took us three tries and a couple hours to work inside the reef in mid day. No way anyone could make it inside at night. And outside the depths go from 50' to 3' in a boat length. How can you safely anchor in that? I grabbed the VHF and hailed him on both 72 (the local hailing frequency) and 16 (the universal hailing and distress freq.) No answer. We watched as he apparently anchored without incident. I hope he doesn't swing onto the reef with a wind change. Lord knows what he must have out for scope. He had one of those flashing anchor lights which is mildly obnoxious, but he was far enough away that it wasn't really an issue. As we were eating, we heard a LOW flying plane pass overhead. Looked, but never saw anything. No lights, nothing. It happened three times. Now there is an airstrip at Nargana which is not too far away, but it is not lighted or controlled and NO ONE would go in there at night. Deb was convinced that the two incidents were related and that it was a drug drop to the sailboat, but I suspect there is a less dramatic explanation. Saturday we will stay put, maybe go ashore and explore the island and do another dive on a different section of reef.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009