s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

Another windy, lazy day.

25 April 2009 | Anchored, off Elliot Key, Biscayne Bay
Mark
Saturday, April 25. Wind blew ~20 kts all day. Otherwise, it was sunny and nice. I got the head fixed without problem using the 'sausage' epoxy Deb had gotten me - worked great. Next I decided to try my hand at gel coat repair. We have a variety of dings acquired over the years of chartering that are only cosmetic, but are cosmetic. So I got out the Everlast gel coat patch, actually read the directions, and had at it. It is not quite as straight forward as described. For shallow repairs, it is pretty easy. You spread it on, wait for it to set then scrape it smooth. If your timing and technique are good, it doesn't even need sanding. deeper repairs are problematic as it skins over and does not harden readily inside. I found two options: build it up with multiple shallow repairs, or blob it on and let it fully harden and then sand it later. (The crew @ TMM had a third technique - blob it on and leave it!) Interestingly, I found that some of their blobs sanded out quite decently. While grinding some of the gel coat, I managed to get a fleck of fiberglass lodged in my eye. It wouldn't blink out and seemed fairly firmly imbedded, so I went looking in the med kit for ophthane to numb it so I could dig it out. When I couldn't find any, I remembered that ophthane needs refrigeration and thus was not an option in the kit. Oh well, a bit of teeth gritting and a wet Q-tip got it out. After treating the eye with Tobradex, I rewarded my bravery with a beer and a rest in the hammock. Later, I rebuilt the winch that serves the traveler as it had been sticking. It looked like it had never been serviced. Works good as new now, but I just added five new projects - rebuilding all the other winches. Pappy (author of the Keys Cruising Guide) was right, this place is popular on the weekends. Even with the strong winds, the anchorage really filled up. Beyond the park boundaries, there were several kite boarders. The area around Sand Key Cut was loaded with day boat fishermen. Fortunately, the anchorage spreads quite a way along Elliot Key, so even though there are now some 20 or so boats anchored for the night, it really is not crowded. No one in danger of swinging into someone else and everyone with at least reasonable privacy. It certainly has been a show, however, laying in the hammock (reward for finishing the winch of course) and watching the boats come in and decide how shallow they can go and where to put the hook down. There are all types from a young couple with a 3 year old camping in what looks like an open boat with a tent on the bow to a mega yacht anchored well out beyond the madness. Power to sail about 3:1, only one other sail cat but a power cat too. Very different from the week days. Wind too strong to try barbecuing so I am making pork curry for dinner.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009