s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

Crossing the Great Bahama Bank

01 June 2009 | In the Berry's.
Mark
Sunday, 31 May. Yes, I'm compulsive, but the day before crossing the Banks, we sailed over the shallowest section (before the Cat Cay waypoint on the Explorer Chartbook) and then back to the anchorage on the E side of Cat checking depths so that I wouldn't have to worry in the dark. All was fine and we anchored as soon as depths fell to 6'. At 4:30 AM (still very dark!) we arose and readied to leave. By 5:00 we were underway. It sure was nice having Radar as well as AIS to warn us of any on coming traffic or storms. The sky was overcast with thunder echoing around in the distance. Fortunately, we didn't get any storms until after daylight. By then we could see them coming and prepare. The wind was crazy - 2 to 26 kts. from every point of the compass as the storms approached and passed. Raise sail, reef, shake out reef, double reef, drop sails, raise them again. We got our exercise. Motors on, motors off. We needed to maintain at least 5 kts. to reach Chub before dark, so anytime our SOG fell below that for more than a few minutes we started at least one engine. Most of the time we could sail and often at well over 5 kts. - you just have to be brave enough to ride the storm winds as each one passes and smart enough to reef before things get too exciting. Anyway, we arrived at Chub Cay ahead of schedule and had anchor down and secured (as yet another thunderstorm hit) by 7:00 PM, still reasonable light. It was a long day, but everything went well and now we can do day hops. Monday, 1 June. Still lots of thunderstorms this AM. Due to light and visibility issues, we anchored sort of in the open where we knew we couldn't possibly hit anything but it was not a real protected anchorage. Since we will be coming back to Chub to pick up Dottie & Larry, we decided to move on today and find a secluded anchorage along Frazer Hog Cay, about 5 nm away. The route takes us from 10' to 450' to off soundings briefly, back to 20', and eventually up a narrow natural channel that is 12-15' deep with 2' shoals on both sides. Dottie said there way good trolling along this route, but either she lies or my jinx is back. We trailed both a soft smelly plastic fish and a flashy yellow/green skirt lure and got no action at all. We did have a great sail, however, as the sun broke through and it was delightful. We also found a beautiful anchorage. At the end of this long channel, the water just sort of peters out. Everything for miles around is shoal. In some ways it reminded me of the N end of Turneff where you could anchor in what looked like the middle of nowhere but be protected by the reef. We wandered around a bit, checking depths and anchored I a great spot well off from land. The water is once again gin clear and there are lots of starfish (but no conch). Speaking of starfish, at dollar harbor, Deb found a Jewish starfish, yup an honest to God star of David - six legs. I didn't have the camera so you will have to take our word for it, but we counted them several times. We will probably spend a couple days here, exploring by dinghy, and then wander about the rest of the Berry's until we return to Chub for Dottie & Larry at the end of the week. Weather is supposed to improve gradually as a trough between here and Florida dissipates. Right now (8:00 AM) the air is 80*, water 81* wind light, sky cloudy with breaks of sun. Not a bad way to start the day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009