s/v Always & All Ways

22 April 2022 | Bocas del Toro
12 March 2020
08 April 2018 | Escudo de Veraguas
06 April 2018 | Narranja Abajo
04 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
02 April 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
30 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
26 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
22 March 2018 | Shelter Bay Marina
21 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
20 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
19 March 2018 | Rio Chagres
18 March 2018 | Punta Limon
17 March 2018 | Euero, on the Mosquito coast of Panama
16 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
15 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
14 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
13 March 2018 | Escuda de Veraguas
12 March 2018 | Zapatilla Cays

The Ways of the World (or at least Panama)

30 July 2009 | Discovery Bay, Bocas del Toro, Panama
Mark
Monday, 3 August. We have two projects going on at the same time and the contrasts between them are interesting. In Discovery Bay we are building our house. The "general contractor" is a dropped-out pot smoking gringo who, with his crew of 5-6 Indians has been building houses here for nearly 20 years. The work they do is great - all native hard wood, incredibly over-built, solid and beautiful. Originally, he and his crew would build a house (typically ~1600 s.f.) in 180 working days. Now, that time varied some as Panama has more holidays than any other country in the world and then there are the "I drank too much on Sunday" holidays as well. Since we contracted to have our house built, he has started 6 more houses in the same area. And two years later, out house is still not done, but it is close. With so many projects going on, he has lost control of the processes at times and scheduling has fallen apart. Fortunately we are nearly done and most of what is left is subcontractors. But that too is a problem. The plumber (also the tile layer) promised to come each day last week before finally showing up on Friday. We, of course, were there waiting for him each day. The plumbing job looks good and what he has done for tile so far looks beautiful. If he will only show up, he could finish in 3-4 days. Other subs have not been so good. The "native" (he is Black, not Indian) who did the initial electrical was terrible and did very poor work. The gringo that they hired to replace him was not much better - perhaps competent when sober, he unfortunately never was. I redid the entire job myself. Augustino, the finish carpenter, is an artist. His work is gorgeous, he shows up when he says he will, and his work will truly make our house a showplace. We will be delighted when we move into our house, but 2 years and 100% over-run on costs is a bit hard to take. In contrast, we just contracted to build a dock on our island. We are dealing with two natives (both Black) who speak very good English and have an incredible work ethic. To build the dock required cutting out mangroves from about 40' of shore line. They were maybe 15-20' deep, so maybe 800 s.f. We agreed on a price of $40 to cut the mangroves. Samuel would do that while Rollando went to see about getting the posts. Typical of dealings down here, I had to give him $20 for gas to go by panga (native dug out canoe with outboard motor) to see about the poles. I cannot get the name of them straight, something like "muralli", but with more syllables, but they are "guaranteed to last 100 years in the water." We'll see. We first talked about the project on Tuesday. By Wednesday noon, the mangroves were all cut. Samuel brought his 4 sons (they were supposed to be in school, but it was raining that morning) and even the 8 year old was wielding a machete like a pro. By Friday, Rollando had a contract on the posts, $7.50 each and he needed 32. Please give the land owner a little in advance ($100) and the rest when all delivered. Oh, and $20 more dollars for gas to bring them to the island. By Sunday, 10 posts were not only cut and delivered, but set in the ground, nicely squared and leveled. By the next Friday (the time delay mostly due to my absence) we had a contract with a cutter for the nisporo for the dock itself - at a price, delivered, that was 2/3 what I was paying for the house, not delivered. Yes, a little advance ($100 of 1000) to buy gas and oil for the chain saw, nothing else until delivered. It will take less than a week for 1100 b.f. milled by chainsaw up in the jungle and carried out then delivered by boat (probably more $$ for gas). The stuff is so heavy, it sinks in water and so hard you need to drill it before you can drive a nail, but the insects can't chew it either. For the labor to build the dock, we agreed on a fixed price of $1000, $100 up front, the rest when done (maybe a bit more when all the posts are set) All up cost for 80' of dock ('L' 40 x 40) less than $2500 and it should be done in less than a month at the rate they are going. Oh, and in contrast to the two above examples, there is the true gringo way of doing things. Red Frog Beach development collected $250,000-500,000 per lot from many gringos for villas at "pre-construction" prices and then quietly folded and disappeared into the night.
Comments
Vessel Name: Always & All Ways
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43
Hailing Port: Hancock, NH, USA
Crew: Mark & Deb Parker
About: Mark, an ER doc, retired 10/08 to become a sea gypsy. Deb, an educator, has been retired since 5/07 and was equally anxious to leave the cold of New England far behind
Extra: We now have a hurricane season home in Bocas del Toro, Panama. We still plan on spending many months cruising every year.
Always & All Ways's Photos - Main
In the Spring of 2016, we sailed from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to Cuba and back with stops at the Albuquerque Cays, Providencia, and the Cayman Islands. We cruised the South coast of Cuba some and then left the boat for some inland excursions.
20 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Cruise of Albuquerque Cays and Providencia, Columbia
19 Photos
Created 12 June 2013
Pictures from our 2012 cruise from Bocas del Toro, Panama, to the Bay Islands of Honduras and back. Posted each time we have internet
2 Photos | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 28 March 2012
Pictures of our home at Discovery Bay, Isla Solarte, Bocas del Toro, Panama. More (older) can be found in Discovery Bay album.
49 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2010
Pictures of our recent trip to the San Blas Islands of Panama with friends Ron & Cynde
58 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 29 April 2010
Pics from the month we spent at some of the out of the way places in the Bahamas, May 2009.
39 Photos
Created 22 June 2009
Birds, animals, etc. that we have seen along the way
14 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures of some of the improvements we have made over the past few months
37 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from Rio Dulce
20 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
Pictures from our travels
29 Photos
Created 11 April 2009