The Big Adventure

03 May 2023 | JFK, NY
29 May 2022 | Pecs, Hungary
28 May 2022 | Novi Sad, Serbia
27 May 2022 | Belgrade, Serbia
26 May 2022 | Serbia
25 May 2022 | Vidin, Bulgaria
24 May 2022 | Rousse, Bulgaria
23 May 2022 | Transit
22 May 2022 | Istanbul, Turkey
21 May 2022 | Istanbul,Turkey
20 May 2022 | Enroute to Turkey
14 October 2019 | Mid air
13 October 2019 | Santiago de Compostela, Spain
12 October 2019 | Amenal, Spain
11 October 2019 | Arzua, Spain
10 October 2019 | Melide, Spain
09 October 2019 | Palas de Rei, Spain
08 October 2019 | Portomarin, Spain
07 October 2019 | Sarria, Spain
06 October 2019 | Triacastela, Spain

The day didn’t go as planned

24 April 2014 | Village Cay Marina, Roadtown, Tortola BVI
Andi, aka Bilge Queen
We got up early Wednesday with big plans for hiking Virgin Gorda and snorkeling the reefs. We also figured it would be a good time to connect via wifi, before connectivity got bogged down with multiple users. When we checked our email we had an abrupt change in plans. Mike needed to fly back to Wyoming ASAP to be with a dear friend who lost his brother. The wifi connectivity lasted just long enough to make all the arrangements, so we set sail back to Tortola. We weren’t able to get a slip at Nanny Cay, but when we arrived, Village Cay in Roadtown was able to accommodate us. Mike made sure the boat was in good shape before departing on the morning ferry. I’m staying on the boat to start working on preparations for the passage home. I can walk to the grocery store from here, so I’ll get a head start on cooking and freezing meals for the passage. That was the plan… Of course the air conditioning system started having issues a few hours after Mike left. Isn’t that always the case, as most military spouses well know, the gremlins surface when the guys are gone. I got out the books and deciphered the error code, a high refrigerant pressure alarm. Now to work out a fix. Thinking that the intake might be blocked, I turned the system off and let it sit, hoping that the block might clear on its own once the inward flow stopped. After a couple of hours I turned the system back on. The system started cycling, water was coming out the side like it should, so I thought I was back in business. Went ashore for a much needed haircut, and came back to the same problem. Armed with a new do, I was determined not to let this get the better of me. I turned the stopcock to the air conditioning thru hull off, then disassembled the strainer mechanism. I cleaned out all the particulate matter from the strainer and flushed the gunk out of the system. When I had it reasonably clear, I reassembled everything. I opened the stopcock just a tad before closing the strainer to make sure I had water flow, and sure enough, I did. I finished up, turned on the system. Once again the air conditioning is cycling and water is coming out the side where it should. Hopefully I got it this time. I feel very fortunate to have friends who coached me via the electrons through the process.
Comments
Vessel Name: Free Spirit
Vessel Make/Model: Saga 43
Hailing Port: Palm Harbor, FL
Crew: Andrea & Mike Berndt

Who: Andrea & Mike Berndt
Port: Palm Harbor, FL