Adventures on Amelie

27 May 2008 | Brunswick, Georgia
30 April 2008 | Lee Stocking Island
13 April 2008 | Emerald Bay Marina
22 March 2008 | Staniel Cay
10 March 2008 | Staniel Cay
24 February 2008 | Nassau
26 January 2008 | 24 35.623'N
14 January 2008 | Nassau, Bahamas
10 January 2008 | Chub Cay
03 January 2008 | Bahamas
30 December 2007 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL
21 December 2007 | St. Augustine, FL
07 December 2007 | Charleston, SC
28 November 2007 | Charleston, SC

April Update

13 April 2008 | Emerald Bay Marina
Tracy
Hello from Emerald Bay Marina. We have been enjoying the 4 Seasons pool, free laundry, and amazing showers. We've also met a lot of great cruisers here.

Before Emerald Bay, we spent some time in Georgetown. We were really disappointed in Georgetown after all the hype from other cruisers. It was very dirty, so dirty that I didn't want the water to touch me. There were hundreds of boats all crammed into this harbor where no one I'm sure, used their holding tanks. The cruisers were very territorial and it just felt like a Senior Citzens center with all the planning and unspoken rules. We were in Georgetown about 5 days because of a weather front moving through.

There were some good things about Georgetown too. They had amazing hiking trails all over Stocking Island. Bailey was hiking around like she'd been doing it for years, and Zack was totally is his element. I uploaded some pictures of the great views we had from the top. I also had an opportunity to have a huge stingray try to nibble my feet. I was so scared, I'm such a weiner. The stingray was huge, but apparently they are used to being fed by beach goers and very friendly. I just stood in the water and it would swim right up to my ankles and hover on my feet trying to gumm up some food, and then it would swim away. It was really cool, I'm amazed I did that.

Zack got attacked by a poodle on Volleyball Beach. It was heart breaking because Zack wouldn't fight back. He'll run after a raccoon and eat it, but he would never hurt someone's pet. So, he just took it until Jeff was able to push the poodle off of him. He's feelings were so hurt, he just crawled under a picnic table and laid down. He had little tufts of fur on his back pulled loose from that nasty little creature.

Bailey learned to play frisbee on the beach. As soon as we beached the dingy she ran up and started trying to play with 3 women in their twenties. They were very good sports and taught Bailey how to throw and catch the frisbee. Eventually she did mingle with the other 6 year olds.

Zack had to go to the vet in Georgetown because he's had a terrible ear infection. The vet put him on an antibiotic, gave us a topical antibiotic, and ear cleaning solution. He seems to be cured, but his hearing loss is really substantial now. It's really hard to walk him anywhere besides a beach because he runs ahead and can't hear voice commands. We're afraid he may get hurt because he can't hear us warn him of danger. The afternoon he got out of the vet office I took him to shore to potty, and let Bailey play on the beach. He was so out of it from his first dose of medicine it was pretty comical. We were walking back to the dinghy and an older couple was getting out of theirs, the lady was already on the dock. Zack walked in front of the lady and looked in the dinghy where the man was still sitting like he was going to jump in. I told him that wasn't his dinghy, but before I could finish he had his front paws up on the boat. I tried to get his attention again, but he just crawled in and sat down just staring into space. I practically had to drag him off their dinghy. It was like he had no idea where he was or what he was supposed to be doing. The next day though, he was back to himself.

We also have a funny picture of Zack in the kayak. We were sitting inside one afternoon and heard him barking outside. We walked out and he was in the kayak. The wind had blown it close enough for him to jump on to it, but then it blew back way too far for him to get back. He must've thought the kayak was magic and it would just take hime to shore if he could only just jump in it. Silly dog!

That's all for now. We're headed to Lee's Stocking Island in about an hour. We won't have internet again for awhile. Love everyone, miss everyone.

Comments
Vessel Name: Amelie
Vessel Make/Model: 2004 Prout Catamaran
Hailing Port: Jackson, WY
Crew: Jeff Miller, Tracy Weber, Bailey Weber, and Zack the dog
About: Jeff is the only one of us with real sailing experience. I did take some lessons when we moved on to the boat, but really I'm a beginner. Bailey of course is only 5 so her main duty is to entertain, and Zack is our resident snuggle puppy.
Extra: We set out with the goal of being able to sail for 3 to 5 years. Of course that depends on expenses, etc. We are home schooling Bailey with Calvert while we're underway and just trying to take life day by day.

Adventures on Amelie

Who: Jeff Miller, Tracy Weber, Bailey Weber, and Zack the dog
Port: Jackson, WY