17 May 2014
16 August 2012
14 August 2012 | HOME
28 July 2012
17 July 2012 | Ocracoke, NC
03 July 2012 | Beaufort, NC
13 June 2012 | Fernandina Beach, Florida
27 May 2012 | Man-O-War Cay, Abacos
20 May 2012 | Marsh Harbour, Abaco
28 April 2012 | George Town, Exuma
10 April 2012 | Black Point, Exumas
31 March 2012 | George Town, Exuma
28 February 2012 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
13 February 2012 | Long Island, Bahamas
12 February 2012 | The Marina at Emerald Bay, Exumasb
26 January 2012 | Exumas, Bahamas
17 January 2012 | Bahamas!
14 January 2012 | Warderick Wells, Bahamas

St. Martin-Simpson Bay Lagoon

08 January 2011 | St. Martin (French Side)
by Jen & Maxwell
Since our last post we have moved across the lagoon to the French side. Clearing customs here was the easiest yet. The officials are SO kind and very helpful. No triplicate paper forms to fill out just a quick computer form and you are done! And, it is cheaper too! $8 USD! The past week has kept us mostly aboard with high winds through the anchorage. When we have gone ashore we found that the two sides are indeed very different. The French are really laid back and focus on the pleasures of life. Food, drink and relaxing are high priorities. Because of the nature of the island and the anchorage we are in, we can still visit the Dutch side whenever we want as well. Over the week & 1/2 we have been here we have found out what you can get where and often visit both sides in a day.

One cool thing, (that I am sure would get annoying over time), is that the airport is so nearby, departing flights take off over our heads all day. Super cool! Most air traffic ceases around 8PM so it is not too bad on the noise.

The only ways into the lagoon is through one of the two draw bridges. The Dutch bridge is most popular and opens three times a day and caters to the mega yachts with it's depth. The draw of spectators is entertaining too. St. Martin Yacht Club offers a happy hour during the 5:30 entrance lift and the deck is packed. Watching these huge, huge yacht squeeze through is amazing. Check out the SmugMug pics.

We may linger here for another week or so, maybe get a package from the states as it seems to be relatively easy. We have been told that this is the last "big city" of the Caribbean as we head south. One great thing is that we are seeing many more Cruisers! And, have enjoyed many evening get-togethers with our new friends. We have been told that we are a bit ahead of the normal Cruising wave headed south so we do not mind pulling back on the reins for awhile.

Just posted some new photos!
Comments
Vessel Name: Anastasia
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Baba Ta Shing 35' (Flying Dutchman Hull #51)
Hailing Port: Gloucester, VA
Crew: Maxwell & Jen
Social:

Team Anastasia

Who: Maxwell & Jen
Port: Gloucester, VA
Sailing Anastasia

Promote Your Page Too
Submit your blog