17 May 2014
16 August 2012
14 August 2012 | HOME
28 July 2012
17 July 2012 | Ocracoke, NC
03 July 2012 | Beaufort, NC
13 June 2012 | Fernandina Beach, Florida
27 May 2012 | Man-O-War Cay, Abacos
20 May 2012 | Marsh Harbour, Abaco
28 April 2012 | George Town, Exuma
10 April 2012 | Black Point, Exumas
31 March 2012 | George Town, Exuma
28 February 2012 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
13 February 2012 | Long Island, Bahamas
12 February 2012 | The Marina at Emerald Bay, Exumasb
26 January 2012 | Exumas, Bahamas
17 January 2012 | Bahamas!
14 January 2012 | Warderick Wells, Bahamas

Guadeloupe

12 February 2011 | Deshaies, Guadeloupe
by Jen
Guadeloupe is a beautiful island. Aside from the wind being very fluky, (as mentioned in the previous entry) the anchorages are a sight to behold. The are not the best we have had in the Caribbean so far...but there is fair holding and attractive scenery. Ashore really feels like another country. Guadeloupe is a French island and they really speak French primarily (not like St. Martin). All of the signage is in French and people say Bonjour, not Hello! There is a boutique in town that acts as a customs office. It was funny because the woman there spoke very limited English...we assumed that she was fluent in many languages because she comes in contact with so many foreigners...but that was not the case at all. It seems that people appreciate you trying to make an effort at French and then will switch to English, if they can of course.

We took a hike up the Deshaies river here in town. Our guidebook said that it was difficult but we assumed that they were being conservative in the description. In fairness, we do not fit the normal cruising profile...we are younger than most. So we thought, "lets set out to conquer the beast." First of all, there was no trail like there was supposed to be and along the river bank the forest was thick. There were no markers, the rocks were slippery and we found ourselves in over our heads. The hike conquered us...

We did manage to get some amazing photos. Check them out in the Guadeloupe gallery @ SmugMug. The foliage is amazing! There is so much rain here annually that the island is lush with growth everywhere. Even in town.

A happy treat (that we have finally indulged ourselves in this morning) is the boat-side morning delivery of fresh pastries. HEAVENS! We bought 4 croissants and they are sent from the angel bakeries of Heaven above! Pure delight!

Today, we are planning another (less intense) hike with some other Americans we have met in the anchorage. And on Monday, we have rented a car (pure treat) to tour the island.
Comments
Vessel Name: Anastasia
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Baba Ta Shing 35' (Flying Dutchman Hull #51)
Hailing Port: Gloucester, VA
Crew: Maxwell & Jen
Social:

Team Anastasia

Who: Maxwell & Jen
Port: Gloucester, VA
Sailing Anastasia

Promote Your Page Too
Submit your blog