17 May 2014
16 August 2012
14 August 2012 | HOME
28 July 2012
17 July 2012 | Ocracoke, NC
03 July 2012 | Beaufort, NC
13 June 2012 | Fernandina Beach, Florida
27 May 2012 | Man-O-War Cay, Abacos
20 May 2012 | Marsh Harbour, Abaco
28 April 2012 | George Town, Exuma
10 April 2012 | Black Point, Exumas
31 March 2012 | George Town, Exuma
28 February 2012 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
13 February 2012 | Long Island, Bahamas
12 February 2012 | The Marina at Emerald Bay, Exumasb
26 January 2012 | Exumas, Bahamas
17 January 2012 | Bahamas!
14 January 2012 | Warderick Wells, Bahamas

Loving Long Island

30 March 2011 | Calabash Bay, Long Island
by Jen
Over the past week we have been hanging out in Long Island. Last year, this was one of our favorite places and it continues to be. Some Cruisers never make it south of George Town and are really missing out on some of the best places in the Bahamas.

This year, we have been on the west coast of the island mostly in Thompson Bay. Another thing that we have really enjoyed is being so far south, so late in the season. Really, there is still a TON of time left in the season but many people start heading north after the Cruiser's Regatta held in early March. So there are just enough boats around...not too crowded.

Long Island Breeze Resort is in Thompson Bay and offers some nice services to boaters. It was especially great for us since this was the first island we had been to in a while that offered anything at all. We were able to do some much-needed laundry, check email and even get a hamburger at their restaurant. Across the street there is a nice grocery and down the road is a well-stocked marine store. If you need to go further just stick out your thumb. Long Islanders are happy to give you a ride as far as they are going. It never fails to add color to your day.

Long Island Petroleum is also in the harbor selling diesel, gas and water. Unfortunately, the water was high at $0.30/per gallon...and we were almost dry so we had to jug it and pay up! We have learned that our 5 gallon jugs will hold 6.5 gallons if tilted the right way and filled to the brim! Less trips back and forth!

Two nights ago we were surprised and delighted to see our friends on Glass Slipper pulling into the anchorage. They had been on another island with guests and we weren't sure when we'd reconnect. That night we hosted a happy hour with them and our new friends on Cara Mia and Jessie Marie. Eight adults are about the max that Anastasia's cockpit will hold and we had a blast. Snug as bugs.

Yesterday we sailed with Glass Slipper north to Calabash Bay. We started of with a full main and full jib but after a few hours the winds dropped off almost completely. So we pulled in the jib and started to motor. Traveling at 5 knots is a good trolling speed so the fishing line went in. Even though the path from Thompson Bay to Calabash is through shallow water we thought, "What the heck...lets try!" Most of the time in shallow water we will only catch Barracuda, which are really smelly and can carry Ciguatera. This time we caught a 25" Mutton Snapper! Awesome fish! Huge! And what a fighter! I got to reel him in while Maxwell took the helm and this little guy was not giving easy.


(The toes are in there for scale ☺)

Needless to say we were all stoked about dinner! Cyndi had taken a cooking class in Antigua where they stuffed the snapper with a crabmeat stuffing and baked it whole so she was thrilled to put her new skills to practice. She and Maxwell scaled and gutted the fish only to find later that she'd have to cut off the head too because it was too large for the oven. An amazing meal...gourmet indeed!

Our plan from here is to sail up to Conception, riding a SE wind tomorrow. Hopefully next time we will be posting photos of our catch from that trip! Is this turning into an Angler's blog?
Comments
Vessel Name: Anastasia
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Baba Ta Shing 35' (Flying Dutchman Hull #51)
Hailing Port: Gloucester, VA
Crew: Maxwell & Jen
Social:

Team Anastasia

Who: Maxwell & Jen
Port: Gloucester, VA
Sailing Anastasia

Promote Your Page Too
Submit your blog