17 May 2014
16 August 2012
14 August 2012 | HOME
28 July 2012
17 July 2012 | Ocracoke, NC
03 July 2012 | Beaufort, NC
13 June 2012 | Fernandina Beach, Florida
27 May 2012 | Man-O-War Cay, Abacos
20 May 2012 | Marsh Harbour, Abaco
28 April 2012 | George Town, Exuma
10 April 2012 | Black Point, Exumas
31 March 2012 | George Town, Exuma
28 February 2012 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
13 February 2012 | Long Island, Bahamas
12 February 2012 | The Marina at Emerald Bay, Exumasb
26 January 2012 | Exumas, Bahamas
17 January 2012 | Bahamas!
14 January 2012 | Warderick Wells, Bahamas

Sorry For The Delay...

08 June 2011 | Davis Creek Marina, Mathews, VA
by Jen
The photo above was taken while in Fernandina Beach, FL.

I must apologize for the vagueness of our whereabouts over the past month or so. For the explanation, I must rewind to a few months back. We made a decision while still in Long Island Bahamas that we would be home in the Chesapeake Bay by May 20th. The reason for this early homecoming was a TOP SECRET surprise. My Mother (Jen's) was to be graduating from Virginia Commonwealth University with a Master's Degree in Occupational Therapy on that date. Not only was this a big deal of itself alone, but VCU is my alma mater, AND no one thought we'd make it home in time. TWO good reasons to do just that!

From the time we were in the Berry Islands I led my family members astray and probably my readers too. At the end of April we left the Berry Islands and made a very successful passage to the FL/GA line, ultimately arriving in Fernandina Beach, FL. It took us 3 days & 2 nights where we filled our freezer to the brim with mahi mahi and thus put our rod away for the season.

Once safely anchored off of the Fernandina Harbour Marina we cleared US customs* and arranged to have Anastasia surveyed. Just under a month until we had to be home...plenty of time to hit all of our favorite spots on the coast as we headed north.

Fernandina Beach sucked a whole week out of us! There goes our leisurely saunt op the coast. Looks like time for another offshore jump. We left FL bound for NC. Anchor down, after another 3 days & 2 nights, in Wrightsville Beach, NC. We made it so far that it afforded us more time to relax, again for another 4-5 days.



This is waiting for the bridge to open, leaving Wrightsville Beach, NC.


From there we made our way via the ICW onto Swansboro, Beaufort and then our favorite: Oriental, NC where we stayed two nights at the free dock in town. From Oriental we pushed to a nowhere spot on the ICW, north of Bellehaven, and onto Elizabeth City the next day. Here we also found a free dock just on the other side of the draw bridge at a food service business. The only catch is that you dine at one of the local restaurants they supply. That was easy. From there, we motored up the Dismal Swamp spending the night at the free dock, just south of the Deep Creek lock in Chesapeake. The next day we made it to Hampton and from there we arrived in the sweet spot of home.



This photo was taken just before casting our lines from the free dock in Chesapeake, VA.


I cannot tell you the tally of miles beneath Anastasia's keel from this season but it was a lot! Hopefully, we will get those stats at some time.

*While in Puerto Rico we obtained Frequent Boater Cards for an "easy check-in" with US Customs. This card can be used in the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Florida. It was indeed easy and fast requiring no more than a phone call. I highly recommend this option for any cruiser traveling back and forth from the Bahamas to Florida and the other places mentioned above.
Comments
Vessel Name: Anastasia
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Baba Ta Shing 35' (Flying Dutchman Hull #51)
Hailing Port: Gloucester, VA
Crew: Maxwell & Jen
Social:

Team Anastasia

Who: Maxwell & Jen
Port: Gloucester, VA
Sailing Anastasia

Promote Your Page Too
Submit your blog