17 May 2014
16 August 2012
14 August 2012 | HOME
28 July 2012
17 July 2012 | Ocracoke, NC
03 July 2012 | Beaufort, NC
13 June 2012 | Fernandina Beach, Florida
27 May 2012 | Man-O-War Cay, Abacos
20 May 2012 | Marsh Harbour, Abaco
28 April 2012 | George Town, Exuma
10 April 2012 | Black Point, Exumas
31 March 2012 | George Town, Exuma
28 February 2012 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
13 February 2012 | Long Island, Bahamas
12 February 2012 | The Marina at Emerald Bay, Exumasb
26 January 2012 | Exumas, Bahamas
17 January 2012 | Bahamas!
14 January 2012 | Warderick Wells, Bahamas

An Emerald In The Rough

12 February 2012 | The Marina at Emerald Bay, Exumasb
by Jen
There is a myth that I must dispel! Many, many cruisers seem to think that the Marina at Emerald Bay is a dangerous place to go. Rumors have spread like wildfire from the tongues of those who have not even attempted an approach of the entrance! Yes, it can be a little rough in the right/wrong conditions but still manageable. We entered the channel on Superbowl Sunday in a strong easterly wind with moderate seas and passed into the harbour with ease. You have to be alert and quick on the helm but what prudent Skipper wouldn't be in such conditions?

Now once inside...it is beautiful and high class. You are met in your slip by a friendly dock hand happy to catch lines, tie you up and orient you with all of the FREE services! There are many freebies that come with the $1/ft slip and perhaps the most enjoyed is the free laundry. The showers are hotel-like, the captain's lounge is like Ernest Hemmingway's living room and the wi-fi is strong.

There is surge that causes your boat to jump about in the slip and we couldn't seem to get Anastasia's lines tight enough to keep her still. But thanks to s/v Interlude we learned how to stop this pesky problem. We simply ran a spring line from our primary winch out of the aft hawsepipe to a cleat on the dock and winched it in very tight, thus eliminating any movement. After this adjustment our time there was ideal.

So, go there! And keep this gem in business. If you hear any nasty talk tell them that they are sadly mistaken.
http://www.marinaemeraldbay.com/

**UPDATE**
When I first posted this I did not state that the $1/ft rate is a special, non-utility rate available to everyone. Water & electricity (which we do not need) are extra. Also, there is a 40' minimum and a %10 gratuity (which you will be happy to pay). For our 35' boat we paid $44/night and stayed two nights. For us it was a delightful treat that we are sure to indulge in the next time we pass by.
Comments
Vessel Name: Anastasia
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Baba Ta Shing 35' (Flying Dutchman Hull #51)
Hailing Port: Gloucester, VA
Crew: Maxwell & Jen
Social:

Team Anastasia

Who: Maxwell & Jen
Port: Gloucester, VA
Sailing Anastasia

Promote Your Page Too
Submit your blog