17 May 2014
16 August 2012
14 August 2012 | HOME
28 July 2012
17 July 2012 | Ocracoke, NC
03 July 2012 | Beaufort, NC
13 June 2012 | Fernandina Beach, Florida
27 May 2012 | Man-O-War Cay, Abacos
20 May 2012 | Marsh Harbour, Abaco
28 April 2012 | George Town, Exuma
10 April 2012 | Black Point, Exumas
31 March 2012 | George Town, Exuma
28 February 2012 | Jumentos Cays & Ragged Islands
13 February 2012 | Long Island, Bahamas
12 February 2012 | The Marina at Emerald Bay, Exumasb
26 January 2012 | Exumas, Bahamas
17 January 2012 | Bahamas!
14 January 2012 | Warderick Wells, Bahamas

Up To Speed

31 March 2012 | George Town, Exuma
by Jen
Since our last post about Long Island we have been places! Our first trip to the Ragged Islands was so delightful that we decided to do it again. This time we traveled with our friends on Joint Venture and Kianda. We had an awesome sail from Thompson Bay to Flamingo Cay where we spent five nights. By day we were fishing the inside reefs because the winds were too thrilling for us to brave the outer ones. By sunset we happy-houred either alongside a campfire or in each other's cockpits. It is a lot of fun to travel in small groups of like-minded people...we all had a great time.

After that we backtracked north to Water Cay for two days of relaxation and our friends worked their way ahead of us to George Town. By then the wind had moderated but we were subject to residual swell that wrapped around the island gently rocking us from side to side, side to side. That sucked. Two nights was about all that we could stand of that and our water tanks were nearing empty so it was time for us as well to be underway to George Town.

We departed Water Cay around 06:30 knowing that we needed to travel at least 5 knots to make high tide at Hog Cay Cut. Now we had had strong winds for about 4-5 days prior but where were they then? Our main flopped because of the wave action and our jib checked out so we had to motor...the entire way. Luckily we did make it through the cut with no issues seeing 5'6" just briefly as we passed the skinniest spot. Knowing from past "experience" that Anastasia likes to continue floating until 5'4" most days. Whew! That was tight! Maxwell remarked that he would love to be in the water to watch us pass.

Once we made the turn toward George Town the wind returned, on the nose! Come on! So we motored, still. Now chugging into short chop. By the time we made it into Elizabeth Harbour we were spent. With only enough energy to make a pizza we settled into the night, happy to be rid of the roll and anchored once again among friends.

The lead shot is with our buds on Kianda & Joint Venture. From left to right: Dave & Jess, Maxwell & Jen, Brad & Sabrina.
Comments
Vessel Name: Anastasia
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Baba Ta Shing 35' (Flying Dutchman Hull #51)
Hailing Port: Gloucester, VA
Crew: Maxwell & Jen
Social:

Team Anastasia

Who: Maxwell & Jen
Port: Gloucester, VA
Sailing Anastasia

Promote Your Page Too
Submit your blog