Extreme Togetherness

Vessel Name: Andante
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38 Cutter
Hailing Port: Cannon Beach, Oregon, U.S.A.
Crew: Jessica & Dennis
19 July 2009 | Pacific Ocean- approaching Crescent City, Ca.
19 July 2009 | Northwest Pacific Ocean
23 June 2009 | Cannon Beach, Oregon / La Paz, Mexico
Recent Blog Posts
31 July 2009

Crescent City to San Diego

The photo above is of Eldon and Brad on board s/v Halycon somewhere off the California coast on one of the nicer days we had.

19 July 2009 | Pacific Ocean- approaching Crescent City, Ca.

Typical NW Pacific Sailing Conditions

This is a good example of the normal sea conditions for the Pacific northwest in September. My brother Eldon, on his Choy Lee 40, s/v Halcyon, left Winchester Bay, Oregon and had plotted an intercept course meet up with us offshore. The plan was to "buddy boat" together to San Diego.

19 July 2009 | Northwest Pacific Ocean

Rainer & I head South Sept. 2008

Jessica and I are currently in Cannon Beach at our litttle beach bungalow. We've been back from Mexico for a little over a month and expect to be here until at least October because of the hurricane season.

23 June 2009 | Cannon Beach, Oregon / La Paz, Mexico

Once upon a time.....

Well, I have to start this off somewhere! Jessica and I left "Andante" on the hard ( dry storage in the boatyard) in La Paz for the hurricane season about two weeks ago. That would be us in the picture taken in La Paz along the malecon (promenade).

Rainer & I head South Sept. 2008

19 July 2009 | Northwest Pacific Ocean
Dennis
Jessica and I are currently in Cannon Beach at our litttle beach bungalow. We've been back from Mexico for a little over a month and expect to be here until at least October because of the hurricane season.

I suppose I should begin at the beginning as the saying goes...

......Rainer (that would be him in the picture) and I left Astoria, Oregon in early September of last year all loaded up with supplies for a non-stop trip from Astoria to San Diego. "Andante" is a 1990 Island Packet 38 cutter that I had the great fortune of being able to purchase new in 1990 (along with 15 years of payments, unfortunately). I've already logged about 17,000 nm under her keel prior to this trip, but that is another story.
Rainer is a family friend with the time and ability to crew with me going south. Jessica had other committments with the Cannon Beach Farmers Market until the 5th of October and had agreed to meet us in San Diego. Smart woman! She did not have to deal with all the nasty things mother nature can throw at you on the west coast of the Pacific Ocean, especially late in the summer and on this particular part of the northern coast.

Rainer and I sailed across the Columbia River bar with no problems, gained a little sea room, and turned left. The prevaling nearshore winds up here are predominalely northwest and have a tendency to start blowing around noon and build in strength until late in the evening. Sometimes, it starts to blow and does not let up for 2 or 3 days, often with gale force winds and seas to match. And then there is the other side of the coin, FOG! Generally with no wind, and we motored. Of course, we also got fog and wind which is exciting. We settled into the routine of watchstanding, eating, and sleeping.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups