Sailing Adventures

06 February 2011 | Jekyll Island, GA
05 February 2011 | Savannah, GA
19 November 2010 | Georgetown, SC
11 November 2010 | Bald Head Island, NC
10 November 2010 | The Atlantic
08 November 2010 | Beaufort, NC
07 November 2010
06 November 2010 | Portsmouth, VA
11 October 2010 | Norfolk, VA
09 October 2010 | Henry's Creek, VA
09 October 2010 | annapolis, maryland
08 October 2010 | Running the Delaware
08 October 2010 | Cape May
04 October 2010 | Atlantic City, N.J.
01 October 2010 | Port Washington, NY
30 September 2010 | Port Washington, NY
28 September 2010 | Montauk, NY
22 September 2010 | Falmouth, Mass
14 September 2010 | Falmouth, Mass

waiting on weather

30 September 2010 | Port Washington, NY
Diana/howling winds
Yesterday was a beautiful motoring day. The wind was just too light to raise sail and what little there was of it was coming right at us. It took 11 hours to reach our port - not bad, we averaged 8 kts. Long Island sound was virtually empty until we got close to the city - which was quite a surprise to see as I was looking through binocs. at the mansions around Oyster Bay (where Fitzgerald stayed while he wrote The Great Gatsby) and turned to look straight ahead at a buoy only to see row after row of skyscrapers lined up like tin soldiers. They were 17 miles away.
The marina was full of boats ducking in to avoid the storm which was working it's way up the eastern seaboard. There are a lot of boats her that are going south so we all sit and wait on weather. Overnight the rain and winds began. Surprise is swaying with an occasional bob but generally holding pretty steady. By mid-morning the rain had stopped leaving only seas beaten about by the wind. We decided to forgo a day rocking like a baby in a cradle and took the train into the city. This time it was only a 45 min. ride. Back on the boat we monitor the weather and make navigational plans to go through NY harbor and infamous Hell Gate either tomorrow or the next day - weather depending.
Comments
Vessel Name: Surprise
Vessel Make/Model: Bruckmann 50
Hailing Port: Houston, Texas
Crew: Keith and Diana Anderson
About: Empty nesters trying to get in some serious adventure before grandkids hit.

Who: Keith and Diana Anderson
Port: Houston, Texas