sv Andiamo III

Let's Go! Welcome to the Reynolds Family sailing blog. We are a family of four setting sail from Olympia, WA to experience the adventure of a lifetime!

17 February 2012 | Costa Del Sol, El Salvador
01 January 2012 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Nayarit, Mexico
13 November 2011 | La Cruz De Huanacaxle
08 November 2011 | La Cruz Anchorage
04 July 2011 | Marina La Cruz, Mexico
04 July 2011 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Mexico
20 February 2011 | Yelapa, Jalisco, Mexico
11 January 2011 | La Cruz de Huanacaxtle, Nayarit Mexico
07 December 2010 | Bahia De Los Muertos
04 December 2010 | Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur
20 November 2010 | Sea of Cortez
05 November 2010 | Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur
28 October 2010 | Bahia Tortugas, Baja, Mexico
23 October 2010 | USS Midway, San Diego, CA
20 October 2010 | Glorietta Bay, Coronado, CA
17 October 2010 | Shelter Island, San Diego, CA
14 October 2010 | San Diego, CA
13 October 2010 | San Diego, CA
11 October 2010 | San Diego, CA
03 October 2010 | Two Harbors, Catalina Island, CA

Another day in the yard

28 June 2010 | Cap Sante Marine, Anacortes, WA
Eugene
Another day in the boat yard. At least today we made some progress. Our new drive shaft and refurbished prop showed up ($$$$$). We got the drive shaft and new cutlass bearing installed and readied the engine for alignment. We also installed the new shaft seal. The cutlass bearing needs to sit in the epoxy over night so that tomorrow we can install the propeller and align the engine. With any luck, we'll be back in the water by tomorrow afternoon. It has been a long, expensive week; but we hope it has been worth it. Our friend Susan stopped by today on her way to Seattle. It was nice to see her.

Tami fell in love with making wood look better. After sanding and oiling the boom gallows, she decided there were several other areas of the boat that needed attention. She sanded and cleaned the cockpit and cockpit table. It looks fantastic! We also cleaned the hull and removed the old registration stickers. Yesterday, we ran the new furling line from the head sail furler back to the cockpit. At least we have been making progress.

It is funny how smells and sounds remind us of places we have lived. Today as we were walking around the boat yard we missed our home port. We missed visiting with friends, and remembering how you couldn't walk very far without seeing a friendly face and being greeted by some of Toby's friends too - Joey, Gunner, Ruby, Salty, Cooper, Franzel, Rasha, Tucker, and Sailor. But today we missed the sounds of the port cranes and the logs being moved about. We missed the sound of the 5 o'clock whistle, Yaba daba dooo! But most of all we miss the "stinky low tide" and "burnt toast" of the nearby coffee roasting company. The smells and sounds that at one time woke us up early and bothered us, now are the signs that the Home Port on the stern of Andiamo III is really the place we call "HOME". We love Olympia, WA and would not object to returning here someday. It is such a great place to live and cruise!

But, anyway, we digress...We have been in Anacortes now a week. Our friend Susan told us to send her a postcard from anywhere we spent a week or more. So, today, we mailed her a postcard from Anacortes - kinda lame, but we didn't want to let her down.

With any luck, we will get the propeller installed tomorrow and be back in the water by the afternoon. We are all ready to be on our way and to get cruising once again. But when it is all said and done, we will have a new drive shaft, new engine mounts, new cutlass bearing, new coupler, re-conditioned propeller, new furling line, a clean cockpit, and numerous other improvements.

We miss our friends back in Olympia and our friends from work. We pray they are all doing well.
Comments
Vessel Name: Andiamo III
Vessel Make/Model: 1982 Hans Christian 43T
Hailing Port: Olympia, WA
Crew: Eugene, Tami, Christian, & Abigayle Reynolds along with Toby (the dog), Stripe (the gecko), and Spike (the fish)
About:
We are a family of four from Olympia, WA living on our sailboat. Currently in Banderas Bay, Mexico waiting out hurricane season. Who knows where we will end up? We are taking an enormous risk, both physically and financially. [...]
Extra: “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” –Mark Twain

sv Andiamo III

Who: Eugene, Tami, Christian, & Abigayle Reynolds along with Toby (the dog), Stripe (the gecko), and Spike (the fish)
Port: Olympia, WA
Click for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Forecast