Andiamo Naples

....one woman's take on round-the-world... (well, sort of)

05 January 2015 | finally writing, back in the USA
23 October 2014 | The Islands of Eastern Fiji
12 October 2014 | East of Savusavu, Fiji
30 September 2014 | Savusavu, Fiji
21 September 2014 | Lape Village, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga
14 September 2014 | Neiafu, Vava'u in The Kingdom of Tonga
01 September 2014 | safely in Neiafu, Vavua, Tonga
31 August 2014 | hundreds of miles from anywhere
21 August 2014 | on route to uninhabited Suwarrow atoll
06 August 2014 | French Polynesia
28 July 2014
10 July 2014
09 July 2014 | Bora Bora, French Polynesia
26 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
17 June 2014 | departing Anse Amyot, Tuamotus
24 May 2014 | Writing from Tahuata
03 May 2014 | Rikitea, Mangareva
24 April 2014 | En Route to French Polynesia

The Last Ditch

14 October 2011 | Georgetown, SC
With me heading home in 3 days, I am thinking a lot about my-last-this and my-last-that of this summer cruising stint. What is it about "lasts" that impart their poignancy? What is it that raises our expectations and gives them their added weight? I find it interesting that while typically a "last" is obvious, acknowledged and planned, it is sometimes only in hindsight that the finality of an experience is recognize. Such was the case with my "last" coastal sail of this long summer journey which, unbeknown to me at the time, already came and went over a week ago. But while this sail only gained "last" status in retrospect, at some mysterious level, we recognized its exceptionality at the time. You see, our sail from Cape Lookout some 70 miles to Wrightsville Beach, NC, on that brilliant sunny mild day, was quite spectacular - the kind of experience that makes one drop everything and take notice. There was a certain magnetic quality about that day - a rare alchemy of the seas, the wind, the air and our solitude. Eleven miles offshore, without land or another boat in sight, I could not help but be enthralled by the clear blue ocean waters as we closely grazed the gulf steam. The wind was pumping over 20 knots - but at our backs - creating large gently following seas, significant enough to warrant a certain level of alertness but manageable enough to lose oneself in the undulating rhythm. For hours upon hours, barely exchanging a word between us as if to not break the spell, we breathed in this captivating day seemingly designed solely for our unique pleasure. With elevated significance in the memory archives as a "last", I will long remember this exhilarating day.......especially in contrast to spending my "last" week in The Ditch.

There could be no more polar opposite to wide open, blue water "outside" sailing than the mark-to-mark motoring down the narrow, swampy mud-colored "inside" IntraCoastal Waterway - so straight, brown and deep here along NC and SC, that it has been given this moniker, "The Ditch". The Captain naturally much prefers the coastal route - where the views are better, the air fresher and the auto-piloting easier - but with no suitable inlets along this long stretch of the coast, overnight sailing (yikes!) would be necessary. With the weather unfavorable and the wife unwilling, The Good Captain, dutifully dumping his desires, deliberately decides on The Ditch. It is clearly the safer route and for that I am grateful, but to spend my "last" week in The Ditch seems so anti-climatic - so dull, so brown, so long.

Day after day, deep in The Ditch, for miles upon miles (I mean hundreds), with that trapped, "no exit" feeling, we alternately motor by densely clustered condos behind Myrtle Beach, quiet canal front homes with their astoundingly long piers extending over the marshes, a few random ramshackle fisheries, and then seemingly limitless stretches of desolate swamp thick with Spanish moss. We inch along negotiating currents, fixed and swing bridges and the occasional barge. In bleak weather befitting the scenery, I intermittently take over the hand-steering necessary in this narrow canal but it is David who does the bulk of the monotonous, tedious time at the helm. Each day, all week, we check the weather and consider going outside but it is never to be. Ultimately, we resign ourselves to marching down the ICW - first Southport, NC, then a couple nights literally anchored in the swamp and then finally two days in Georgetown, SC. I must admit, we found Southport and Georgetown, both heavily reliant on their ICW business, certainly welcoming if less than exciting. In the drizzle in Southport we were delighted to obtain a free city dock (complete with power) and the Harborside Boardwalk in Georgetown made for easy access to shops, restaurants and cycling. And even while anchoring alone in the swamp is not quite how I pictured spending my "last" week on board, being so absolutely submerged in nature is indeed an unmatched, surreal experience that I carry home with me.

So after 10 weeks on board and countless thrilling adventures, I am ending this week here in The Ditch - with more of a whimper than a bang. Not quite how I thought it would wrap. Yet, harnessing the added potency of "lasts", I do find myself indeed relishing each fleeting ray of sun, counting each stroke of my peddling bike and savoring each stroll through these simple, ordinary towns. Somehow, I am even able to take the intermittent periods of rain in stride - a breakthrough from earlier this summer - I just will not let it spoil my swan song. My "last" week? No, not what you would call exciting - no exhilarating sails, no banging in the surf, no world-class yachting capitals, no meticulously preserved, pristine beaches. But ultimately, the slow, relatively lackluster ICW route, by granting a calm, peaceful, leisure final week, was not so dull after all. Uninspiring as it may appear, The Ditch has served as my personal halfway house, a kind of step-down unit, providing a relaxed venue and a valuable respite in which to reflect and regroup as I transition to my life on land, as I re-enter my life back home. As I turn that key in my front door, I am curious to see - fresh from my time in The Ditch - whether life in Naples will seem more like getting back into the Groove or returning to a Rut.
Comments
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 40 Catamaran - Robertson & Caine design
Hailing Port: Naples, FL, USA
Crew: David, Dede & Eric
About:
Catalyzed by my husband David's unexpected early retirement and cemented by our 25-year-old son Eric 's eagerness to (pay his way and) join us, I find myself a reluctant but willing third-shift circumnavigator....well not really. [...]
Extra: "When we stop struggling we float" ... from The Book of Awakening
Social:
Andiamo's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 27 January 2014
Happy 56th Birthday, Captain Dave. Remember these sailing moments?
11 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
A glimpse at the challenges of provisioning and stowing.
21 Photos
Created 1 December 2013
Captain David and Eric spend 6 days covering much sea
27 Photos
Created 25 October 2011
Eric arrives on his 23rd birthday; Dede leaves for home
33 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
In the ICW with stops at Southport, NC and Georgetown, SC, as well as motoring through The Ditch
18 Photos
Created 15 October 2011
Hatteras, Ocracoke, Oriental (ICW) and Cape Lookout, sailing to Wrightsville Beach
33 Photos
Created 9 October 2011
Norfolk, The Great Dismal Swamp, Elizabeth City, Manteo
25 Photos
Created 5 October 2011
New Jersey Coast, Cape May, Annapolis, St. Michaels and Oxford and the southern Chesapeake
43 Photos
Created 30 September 2011
Sailing down "memory lane" - Long Island Sound - we visit with Uncle Paul & Aunt Ann and Marty & Linda as we anchor in Black Rock Harbor; then on to NYC
31 Photos
Created 18 September 2011
What an awesome time cycling around Nantucket and hitting different ports on The Vineyard!
26 Photos
Created 13 September 2011
Highlights: visit w/ LAURA's family AND celebrating our 30th anniversary at the OCEAN HOUSE
27 Photos
Created 5 September 2011
After 1998.9 miles, we begin our return home from Bar Harbor. With Katie & Eric still with us we also makes plans for Hurricane Irene
21 Photos
Created 28 August 2011
Katie & Eric join us to explore our country's second most visited park
34 Photos
Created 23 August 2011
Boothbay - Visiting with Cousin Fran & Family; Katie & Eric arrive!
30 Photos
Created 19 August 2011
Starting out at Kittery Point and heading to Booth Bay Harbor
23 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Captain Dave and Reluctant First Mate Dede begin THE GREAT SAILING ADVENTURE from Stonington, CT
25 Photos
Created 8 August 2011
Captain Dave and First Mate Mike sail from Virgina Beach to Stonington, CT. Dede Finally shows up!
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2011
Captain Dave, who is later joined by temporary First Mate Todd, sails from Naples to Virgina Beach
8 Photos
Created 27 July 2011