Andiamo Naples

....one woman's take on round-the-world... (well, sort of)

05 January 2015 | finally writing, back in the USA
23 October 2014 | The Islands of Eastern Fiji
12 October 2014 | East of Savusavu, Fiji
30 September 2014 | Savusavu, Fiji
21 September 2014 | Lape Village, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga
14 September 2014 | Neiafu, Vava'u in The Kingdom of Tonga
01 September 2014 | safely in Neiafu, Vavua, Tonga
31 August 2014 | hundreds of miles from anywhere
21 August 2014 | on route to uninhabited Suwarrow atoll
06 August 2014 | French Polynesia
28 July 2014
10 July 2014
09 July 2014 | Bora Bora, French Polynesia
26 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
17 June 2014 | departing Anse Amyot, Tuamotus
24 May 2014 | Writing from Tahuata
03 May 2014 | Rikitea, Mangareva
24 April 2014 | En Route to French Polynesia

NEW ZEALAND: Lasting Impressions

05 January 2015 | finally writing, back in the USA
Please forgive the much overdo and inadequate blogpost on our memorable experience of New Zealand. Recognizing my shortcomings in doing our trip justice, I write this to merely go on record to capture my impressions and share some photos (see my facebook albums).

The first humans to settle New Zealand - the Maori, migrating from Polynesia over 700 years ago - named their new land Aotearoa -" land of the long white cloud". There can be no mystery why. I spent five and a half weeks in this (two) island nation and was granted a mere handful of days that featured sun. But in wild New Zealand, where one can experience all four seasons in one day, we learned that she is equally striking in a drizzle or a downpour (some claim more so), and despite gloomy weather, this is sure to go down as one of our best trips ever. With us largely off the internet-grid this past year, we whole-heartedly thank Ann and Nick, David's sister and brother-in-law, who did the detailed planning for our joint multi-week exploration of the South Island. And what an exploration it was.

Sure, sailing nearly halfway around the globe this year certainly has made for memorable "adventure travel", but this excursion - at last - felt like VACATION! I was finally traveling off the boat and blessed with comfortable lodging, long, hot showers (and even baths!), daily hikes, laundry facilities on demand, and meals cooked and cleaned up by others. I didn't even mind the 7 beds, 3 rental cars and 2 plane rides necessary to accomplish our ambitious itinerary. Nor the need for dressing in layers or raincoats or clunky hikers, which was actually a refreshing break from a solid year of sweating in the Tropics. Frankly, just being in a car was an incredible treat, even if it meant riding on the "wrong" side of the curvy, narrow, shoulderless, rain-slickened, mountainous roads (which were both challenging and nauseating enough to warrant an all 8-eyes-forward, team approach to driving). It was all perfect. Craggy, sea-sprayed, seal-dotted rocky coasts, majestic snow-dusted mountains, verdant sheep-packed pastures, dense ferny "Middle Earth" forests, forging rivers, turquoise lakes and instantaneous rain-induced waterfalls. All of it perfect. While the terrain is often reminiscent of our own Pacific Northwest, with a national population of only 4.5 million people - equivalent to that of the state of Kentucky - we widely-dispersed tourists gain a sense of having this stunning, unspoiled ("unspoilt" in Kiwi) landscape to our very selves. (Yes, this is a land where there truly are "more sheep than people"). Additionally, because of New Zealand's geographical isolation, it was one of the last land masses to be settled by humans and, as such, has developed a unique biodiversity found nowhere else on the planet. So, even if anchored by our (somewhat) common English language, in remote New Zealand one cannot help but feel FAR AWAY from home: perhaps never more so than standing on the wind-whipped shores at the bottom of the South Island, somewhere below 45 degrees latitude, knowing there was nothing out there between you and Antarctica! Dorothy, you are not in Kansas (or Kentucky) anymore.

Our South Island journey looked like this: Auckland-Dunedin-Otago Peninsula-Catlins Coast-Riverton -Te Anau-Fiordland-Milford Sound-Queenstown-Central Otago - Arrowtown - Nelson-Picton - Marlborough Sound- Blenheim -Kaikoura - Christchurch.....Phew! From the Royal Albatross Centre at the extremes of the Otago Peninsula, to the allure of cold, misty dramatic Milford Sound, to the crazed, bungee-jumping vibrancy of Queenstown, to the long, coastal trek through Abel Tasman National Park, to our leisure wine samplings in Central Otago and famous Marlborough Sound, and finally, to sobering strolls along the slowly rebuilding streets of earthquake-shattered Christchurch - we ate, we drank, we hiked, we drove, we packed and unpacked. We laughed, and gawked and marveled. We snapped hundreds of photos in a feeble attempt to capture and share our visual delight. Along the way we had the pleasure of meeting entertaining, quirky innkeepers, free and easy backpackers, relaxed, friendly Kiwis proud of their country and eager to help, and dozens of young adults (mostly UKer's) here on temporary visas striving to balance work with travel while awaiting a crack at citizenship. Though this Floridian hailing from the Sunshine State could never, over the long haul, stand the gloom of this high-latitude living, it is nonetheless easy to see how the beauty and wide-open opportunity of New Zealand draw so many each year in the hopes of making this their new home.

Our final days in New Zealand found us saying goodbye to Ann and Nick and returning to Andiamo anchored up in the equally beautiful Bay of Islands in the North Island - her resting place through the cyclone season. Eric will live aboard and serve as boat caretaker as David and I return to Naples over the coming months. Unfortunately, in our final days, the dreary, rainy weather persisted, damping our plans to visit famous 90-mile beach and swanky Waiheke Island, leaving me wishing we had seen more of this compelling Northland. Yet, between breaks in patching leaky windows, securing the boat, endless sessions in the laundromat and the stress of packing to finally head home, we did managed quick jaunts to the historic towns of Russell and Kerikeri as well as strolls around holiday-oriented, seaside Paihia. With fingers-crossed, we also drove Eric's newly purchased $1000 car (yes, it is as grungy as you would imagine) to see the ancient, giant Kaori trees; we cooked up copious amounts of green-lipped mussels in a garlic-wine sauce; and we had a bittersweet, final potluck on the dock with our growing collection of sailing friends. In closure, we had a chance to meet some of Eric's new NZ friends, both locals and others - like him - from overseas here for a stint. Yes, my sun-deprived body gladly departed Andiamo eager to return home to family, friends and warmth, but after an awesome stay in wild New Zealand, I was deeply comforted and just a tad jealous to now know firsthand that Eric was sure to have an amazing next 4 months as a temporary Kiwi.
Comments
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 40 Catamaran - Robertson & Caine design
Hailing Port: Naples, FL, USA
Crew: David, Dede & Eric
About:
Catalyzed by my husband David's unexpected early retirement and cemented by our 25-year-old son Eric 's eagerness to (pay his way and) join us, I find myself a reluctant but willing third-shift circumnavigator....well not really. [...]
Extra: "When we stop struggling we float" ... from The Book of Awakening
Social:
Andiamo's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 27 January 2014
Happy 56th Birthday, Captain Dave. Remember these sailing moments?
11 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
A glimpse at the challenges of provisioning and stowing.
21 Photos
Created 1 December 2013
Captain David and Eric spend 6 days covering much sea
27 Photos
Created 25 October 2011
Eric arrives on his 23rd birthday; Dede leaves for home
33 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
In the ICW with stops at Southport, NC and Georgetown, SC, as well as motoring through The Ditch
18 Photos
Created 15 October 2011
Hatteras, Ocracoke, Oriental (ICW) and Cape Lookout, sailing to Wrightsville Beach
33 Photos
Created 9 October 2011
Norfolk, The Great Dismal Swamp, Elizabeth City, Manteo
25 Photos
Created 5 October 2011
New Jersey Coast, Cape May, Annapolis, St. Michaels and Oxford and the southern Chesapeake
43 Photos
Created 30 September 2011
Sailing down "memory lane" - Long Island Sound - we visit with Uncle Paul & Aunt Ann and Marty & Linda as we anchor in Black Rock Harbor; then on to NYC
31 Photos
Created 18 September 2011
What an awesome time cycling around Nantucket and hitting different ports on The Vineyard!
26 Photos
Created 13 September 2011
Highlights: visit w/ LAURA's family AND celebrating our 30th anniversary at the OCEAN HOUSE
27 Photos
Created 5 September 2011
After 1998.9 miles, we begin our return home from Bar Harbor. With Katie & Eric still with us we also makes plans for Hurricane Irene
21 Photos
Created 28 August 2011
Katie & Eric join us to explore our country's second most visited park
34 Photos
Created 23 August 2011
Boothbay - Visiting with Cousin Fran & Family; Katie & Eric arrive!
30 Photos
Created 19 August 2011
Starting out at Kittery Point and heading to Booth Bay Harbor
23 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Captain Dave and Reluctant First Mate Dede begin THE GREAT SAILING ADVENTURE from Stonington, CT
25 Photos
Created 8 August 2011
Captain Dave and First Mate Mike sail from Virgina Beach to Stonington, CT. Dede Finally shows up!
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2011
Captain Dave, who is later joined by temporary First Mate Todd, sails from Naples to Virgina Beach
8 Photos
Created 27 July 2011