Andiamo Naples

....one woman's take on round-the-world... (well, sort of)

05 January 2015 | finally writing, back in the USA
23 October 2014 | The Islands of Eastern Fiji
12 October 2014 | East of Savusavu, Fiji
30 September 2014 | Savusavu, Fiji
21 September 2014 | Lape Village, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga
14 September 2014 | Neiafu, Vava'u in The Kingdom of Tonga
01 September 2014 | safely in Neiafu, Vavua, Tonga
31 August 2014 | hundreds of miles from anywhere
21 August 2014 | on route to uninhabited Suwarrow atoll
06 August 2014 | French Polynesia
28 July 2014
10 July 2014
09 July 2014 | Bora Bora, French Polynesia
26 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
17 June 2014 | departing Anse Amyot, Tuamotus
24 May 2014 | Writing from Tahuata
03 May 2014 | Rikitea, Mangareva
24 April 2014 | En Route to French Polynesia

Acadia - a Natural Treasure

24 August 2011 | Southwest Harbor, Mount Desert Island
Dede
A double delight - After traveling 1998.9 miles (1737 NM), we have finally reached Acadia National Park AND, how special, we are here with our kids!

Katie and Eric met us in Boothbay last Saturday. With the adrenal excitement of the first hours of vacation, they shrug off their fatigue - a combination of Eric's red-eye flight, their 3 plus hour ride up from Beantown and schlepping armfuls of gear and groceries. For our final night here in Boothbay, we enjoy dinner at The Lobster Shack, popular for its Bobby Flay Throw Down distinction, and turn in early as we all look forward to sailing to our farthest northern destination - Downeast Bar Harbor ("Ba Haba").

As we sail northeast over the next two days, the relief of the coast gets increasingly impressive. These higher and rockier elevations, first layered by the velvety dense evergreens (intermittently interrupted by sprawling "cottages") are then topped, at least for these two days, by the clear blue skies. In the water, we spot a few lithe dolphins (darker and smaller than their Florida cousins) and the occasional demure seal. Passing many picture-perfect lighthouses but lacking both a decent camera and photographic acumen, I feel impotent decidedly not snapping perfect pictures. This first night we stop in working-class Rockland - described in the cruising guides as the "real Maine" - which serves us as a convenient, benign midway point, a respite after our sensory-filled day. On day two, the show continues as we sail the tight inside Fox Island Thorofare through the equally picture-perfect perched villages of Vinalhaven, North Haven and Stonington. Katie and I, frigid on the front deck (this is "summah"?), snuggle close as we don't want to miss even one frame of these beautiful sites.

Traveling with, indeed being with, our now twenty-something children has become our parental karmic reward. With long sailing days to ports devoid of night life, they are happy to chill in the evenings playing cards (college beer-drinking games sans the beer and sans David, who is apparently too advanced for such folly). Katie is our go-to grocery girl and shares recipes and cooking techniques with me. Eric's presence on board gives both me and David a welcomed break: I get to formally relinquish my (sub-par) role as first mate and David gains an enthusiastic, legitimate crew member. Eric, intent on one day owning his own sailboat, is eager to glean what knowledge his father is reciprocally eager to impart. The two guys jabber in nautical alphabet-soup code (gps, ais, epirb, and siriusxm) while Eric, reveling in the hands-on experience, mans the helm for hours doggedly dodging the increasingly dense minefield of buoyed "lobstah" pots. (Surely lobster is next up on the endangered list!)

The final approach to Mount Desert Island (MDI), which lays claim to Acadia, resembles a northern BVI - panoramic vistas of island upon islands as far as the eye can see. Acadia National Park is second only to Yellowstone as our nation's most visited, in part due to its reasonable driving distance for the densely populated Northeast but also because of its extensive access by sea. The park can be reached from multiple ports on MDI, each with its own unique character....and we try a few. First Northeast Harbor (small, upscale) then the bustling Bar Harbor (especially with the Caribbean Princess in port), Some Sound (the only true fjord in North America) and Southwest Harbor (expansive harbor with quiet small-town feel ashore).

We use Bar Harbor as our gateway to explore Acadia on foot. Hampered a bit as I am traveling with gimpy (still injured Eric), wimpy (crappy sneakers Katie) and skimpy (are-we-done-yet Dave), we eschew the plethora of trail offerings and choose the "hiking-lite" flat shore path. It is a stunning stroll along the cliffs but turns into a tease, terminating after a short one mile and looping us into the effervescence of downtown. Juxtaposed against the majestic backdrop of Cadillac Mountain rising 1530 ft. from sea level, the diverse crowd of outdoorsy, Maine-gy, preppy and cruise-ship types all commingle in the souvenir shops, outdoor outfitters, beer & lobster joints and internet cafes. We too snap some obligatory vacation shots but are happy to leave the fray behind and return to the boat.

Once again bundled up against the cold sea air and recognizing that we are leaving our northernmost point, we turn with some poignancy southward to begin our very slow return to Naples. As we sail away, the hordes of people spread by tour bus appear as colorful push-pins along this jagged coast. We are glad to take in Acadia, this natural treasure, from the vantage this cruising family deems it's most beautiful - from the sea.

Tonight we rest in Southwest Harbor. As I write, Eric naps, David restrings the trampoline, and Katie nestles and reads. I have that sense of completeness and wholeness that comes when the house, I mean boat, is both quiet and full of life. I feel a mild embarrassment that, a midst all of this natural splendor, it is this moment, with us relaxing together in parallel, each in our own unique way, that is my most resonant. A family communicating with no need to talk, sharing with no need to touch, nurturing with no need to do; a natural treasure in its own right.
Comments
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 40 Catamaran - Robertson & Caine design
Hailing Port: Naples, FL, USA
Crew: David, Dede & Eric
About:
Catalyzed by my husband David's unexpected early retirement and cemented by our 25-year-old son Eric 's eagerness to (pay his way and) join us, I find myself a reluctant but willing third-shift circumnavigator....well not really. [...]
Extra: "When we stop struggling we float" ... from The Book of Awakening
Social:
Andiamo's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 27 January 2014
Happy 56th Birthday, Captain Dave. Remember these sailing moments?
11 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
A glimpse at the challenges of provisioning and stowing.
21 Photos
Created 1 December 2013
Captain David and Eric spend 6 days covering much sea
27 Photos
Created 25 October 2011
Eric arrives on his 23rd birthday; Dede leaves for home
33 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
In the ICW with stops at Southport, NC and Georgetown, SC, as well as motoring through The Ditch
18 Photos
Created 15 October 2011
Hatteras, Ocracoke, Oriental (ICW) and Cape Lookout, sailing to Wrightsville Beach
33 Photos
Created 9 October 2011
Norfolk, The Great Dismal Swamp, Elizabeth City, Manteo
25 Photos
Created 5 October 2011
New Jersey Coast, Cape May, Annapolis, St. Michaels and Oxford and the southern Chesapeake
43 Photos
Created 30 September 2011
Sailing down "memory lane" - Long Island Sound - we visit with Uncle Paul & Aunt Ann and Marty & Linda as we anchor in Black Rock Harbor; then on to NYC
31 Photos
Created 18 September 2011
What an awesome time cycling around Nantucket and hitting different ports on The Vineyard!
26 Photos
Created 13 September 2011
Highlights: visit w/ LAURA's family AND celebrating our 30th anniversary at the OCEAN HOUSE
27 Photos
Created 5 September 2011
After 1998.9 miles, we begin our return home from Bar Harbor. With Katie & Eric still with us we also makes plans for Hurricane Irene
21 Photos
Created 28 August 2011
Katie & Eric join us to explore our country's second most visited park
34 Photos
Created 23 August 2011
Boothbay - Visiting with Cousin Fran & Family; Katie & Eric arrive!
30 Photos
Created 19 August 2011
Starting out at Kittery Point and heading to Booth Bay Harbor
23 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Captain Dave and Reluctant First Mate Dede begin THE GREAT SAILING ADVENTURE from Stonington, CT
25 Photos
Created 8 August 2011
Captain Dave and First Mate Mike sail from Virgina Beach to Stonington, CT. Dede Finally shows up!
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2011
Captain Dave, who is later joined by temporary First Mate Todd, sails from Naples to Virgina Beach
8 Photos
Created 27 July 2011