Andiamo Naples

....one woman's take on round-the-world... (well, sort of)

05 January 2015 | finally writing, back in the USA
23 October 2014 | The Islands of Eastern Fiji
12 October 2014 | East of Savusavu, Fiji
30 September 2014 | Savusavu, Fiji
21 September 2014 | Lape Village, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga
14 September 2014 | Neiafu, Vava'u in The Kingdom of Tonga
01 September 2014 | safely in Neiafu, Vavua, Tonga
31 August 2014 | hundreds of miles from anywhere
21 August 2014 | on route to uninhabited Suwarrow atoll
06 August 2014 | French Polynesia
28 July 2014
10 July 2014
09 July 2014 | Bora Bora, French Polynesia
26 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
17 June 2014 | departing Anse Amyot, Tuamotus
24 May 2014 | Writing from Tahuata
03 May 2014 | Rikitea, Mangareva
24 April 2014 | En Route to French Polynesia

Toiling in Tahiti

26 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
PHOTO: Papeete Market

"Toiling" might be a stretch - we have managed to squeeze some fun into our week in Tahiti - but don't think life on board resembles that commonly held landlubber vision of us off in paradise in a permanent state of relaxation and hedonistic pleasure. I suspect that folks back home picture us on a perpetual vacation, visiting exotic ports, smoothly and gently sailing along while sipping ice cold tropical drinks garnished with paper parasols. That might hold true at intermittent times (sans the parasols), but the reality is that we spend the bulk of our time doing the same kinds of mundane, tedious, cumbersome, annoying and labor-intensive chores that everyday life demands back home - except now we are doing them in foreign (usually third-world) countries, in unfamiliar languages, with no phone, car, internet or help. With Papeete, Tahiti serving as the capital of French Polynesia, we are stopping here at this hub expressly to focus on these chores, to Get 'Er Done: massive re-provisioning, full-capacity fueling-up, inescapable officialdom.

We arrived in Tahiti after a perfect 38 hour sail from Anse Amyot, Tuamotus: running with our spinnaker all day, moonlit sailing with our white canvas at night. With Tahiti soaring at a height of 8000 feet, we could see this spectacular island, legendary since the days of Captain Cook, beckoning for many hours before making landfall. We set down our anchor adjacent to Marina Taina (and the mega yachts) giving us an unparallel view sandwiched between Tahiti Nui (the large half of the island) and gorgeous Moorea a mere 20 miles away; if one must toil, an incomparable backdrop does help.

On to officialdom. Setting out early the next morning, our first order of business was to begin the process of requesting a visa extension which we need to accommodate the arrival date of Eric's friend, Robert, who is joining us on Andiamo for three months. On misinformation from the marina personnel we burned a couple hours: first with figuring out how to catch a bus to the airport and then being told by immigration once there that, no, we need to make our request to the High Commissioner downtown. Clinging to a crumpled map in the rain (in paradise?), we caught another bus to downtown Papeete and entered the High Commissioner building at 12:15.....fifteen minutes after she had left for the day. ARRRGGGHHHH.

Finding our way back to the bus stop, we were actually pleasantly surprised to find Papeete better than purported in our cruising guides. Small but lovely city parks alive with music, a majestic Presidential Palace, a lovely cathedral, pricey surf shops and windows dressed with elaborate bijoux, delicious street-side baguette sandwiches packed with jambon, fromage, ouefs and crudités; never mind the disconnect of roosters crossing the streets. Adjacent to the main bus stop, we popped into the two-story, open-air Papeete Market. Part Grand Bazaar, part Mall, part Farmer's Market, we scanned the handmade crafts, bought some locally grown produce and worked our way past the crowd assembled watching a World Cup match (homeland France was playing). An ice cream cone to share before our bus ride back helped salvage a frustrating day in paradise.

On take two, the next day we arrived at the High Commission building bright and early. We met with a congenial middle-aged administrator who seemed delighted to expedite the process for adorable French-speaking Eric, but for our missing some documents: proof of medical coverage, a formal request letter, and two passport-sized photos of each of us. This well-meaning administrator said we could get the photos at the Carrefour, a gigantic SuperTarget-like store right near the marina - voila, that sounded easy enough, and we could pick up some produce to boot. Since we needed to return with our documents and photos by 4pm that day, we wasted no time, grabbed a cab and made for Carrefour...where we found they have plenty of produce, ah, but no photo shop. A clerk advised us of another photo shop, called us a cab and we arrived there at 12:15....fifteen minutes after they closed for the bloody, are-you-kidding-me-how-do-you-run-a-viable-business, mid-day break! Thankfully, another clerk recommended a different photo shop....where, you ask? Three blocks from the High Commission office.... right back in downtown Papeete. After our third cab ride and now $90 lighter, we miraculously delivered everything required for our visa extension by 3pm with an hour to spare. Voila. Two days in paradise burned.

On to provisioning. Carrefour is great. I especially like how we bump into so many yachtie friends when we are there (I wish I had worn the clean shorts, but I knew I would be sweating all day). The walk from Carrefour to the dinghy dock is what sounds like an ideal 1/2 mile. But try pushing three shopping carts (we each had one) with $1500 worth of groceries on sloped, uneven, bumpy macadam sidewalks. (I officially have no need for a gym membership). Oh, and then the joy of loading them onto a dinghy, off a dinghy - don't crush those chips, please! - and finding a place to stow them. Yes, I am sweating; good thing I didn't wear the clean shorts. Voila. Six trips, three days, I think we have enough food for now.

On to laundry. We have been managing without a washer-dryer by hand washing our mostly quick-dry, limited wardrobes. But with Katie & Ben coming, it is time for a good overhaul of our linens: sheets, towels, blankets, pillows. I decide it is worth the $15 a load to wash and dry(paradise is expensive) these items now that I am in this "hub" at a marina. I grab my laundry bags, a money belt full of coins and a Kindle in my backpack. Two of the four machines are out of order. One of the two dryers works. I wash two loads, one doesn't spin properly, a bizillion coins later, I re-spin and get 'er done. However, half way through the dryer cycle - et voila - power outage. Soaked blankets sit looking at me. It's Saturday. The guy who runs this enterprise does not answer his cell phone. We drag the heavy, wet haul back to the boat, rig some lines bow to mast and hang the heap to dry. Luckily it is a nice dry, sunny day in paradise.

On to fuel. In Papeete, cruisers can obtain paperwork for duty-free fuel reducing the cost by a whopping 40%. Utilizing our divide-and-conquer strategy, while David and I were on round six at the Carrefour, Eric walked a good 5 miles to secure our paperwork (no need to make free also easy). Awesome, we are now all set as planned to fuel-up Sunday morning and then shove off for Huahine where Katie & Ben will meet us. Not so fast. Apparently, no duty-free fuel on le weekend (are-you-kidding-me-how-do-you-run-a-viable-business). We rework our itinerary, skipping a stop in Moorea, and decide to stay until Monday to make our fueling-up happen.

Deep breathe. No worries; flexibility works best in paradise. Eric squeezes in an extra day of surfing the reef break right near the marina while we catch-up on internet chores. Oh, and Casa Bianca has a great 2-for-1 happy hour. With our weeklong slog-fest behind us (for now), we have a relaxing final night here in Tahiti Nui. Satisfied with our accomplishments, we take in the very welcomed cooler evening, the cheap (by Polynesian prices) draft beers and the extra crispy thin crust pizza all in the comfortable company of our increasingly familiar cruising friends. A perfect counterpoint to Toil.
Comments
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 40 Catamaran - Robertson & Caine design
Hailing Port: Naples, FL, USA
Crew: David, Dede & Eric
About:
Catalyzed by my husband David's unexpected early retirement and cemented by our 25-year-old son Eric 's eagerness to (pay his way and) join us, I find myself a reluctant but willing third-shift circumnavigator....well not really. [...]
Extra: "When we stop struggling we float" ... from The Book of Awakening
Social:
Andiamo's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 27 January 2014
Happy 56th Birthday, Captain Dave. Remember these sailing moments?
11 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
A glimpse at the challenges of provisioning and stowing.
21 Photos
Created 1 December 2013
Captain David and Eric spend 6 days covering much sea
27 Photos
Created 25 October 2011
Eric arrives on his 23rd birthday; Dede leaves for home
33 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
In the ICW with stops at Southport, NC and Georgetown, SC, as well as motoring through The Ditch
18 Photos
Created 15 October 2011
Hatteras, Ocracoke, Oriental (ICW) and Cape Lookout, sailing to Wrightsville Beach
33 Photos
Created 9 October 2011
Norfolk, The Great Dismal Swamp, Elizabeth City, Manteo
25 Photos
Created 5 October 2011
New Jersey Coast, Cape May, Annapolis, St. Michaels and Oxford and the southern Chesapeake
43 Photos
Created 30 September 2011
Sailing down "memory lane" - Long Island Sound - we visit with Uncle Paul & Aunt Ann and Marty & Linda as we anchor in Black Rock Harbor; then on to NYC
31 Photos
Created 18 September 2011
What an awesome time cycling around Nantucket and hitting different ports on The Vineyard!
26 Photos
Created 13 September 2011
Highlights: visit w/ LAURA's family AND celebrating our 30th anniversary at the OCEAN HOUSE
27 Photos
Created 5 September 2011
After 1998.9 miles, we begin our return home from Bar Harbor. With Katie & Eric still with us we also makes plans for Hurricane Irene
21 Photos
Created 28 August 2011
Katie & Eric join us to explore our country's second most visited park
34 Photos
Created 23 August 2011
Boothbay - Visiting with Cousin Fran & Family; Katie & Eric arrive!
30 Photos
Created 19 August 2011
Starting out at Kittery Point and heading to Booth Bay Harbor
23 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Captain Dave and Reluctant First Mate Dede begin THE GREAT SAILING ADVENTURE from Stonington, CT
25 Photos
Created 8 August 2011
Captain Dave and First Mate Mike sail from Virgina Beach to Stonington, CT. Dede Finally shows up!
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2011
Captain Dave, who is later joined by temporary First Mate Todd, sails from Naples to Virgina Beach
8 Photos
Created 27 July 2011