Andiamo Naples

....one woman's take on round-the-world... (well, sort of)

05 January 2015 | finally writing, back in the USA
23 October 2014 | The Islands of Eastern Fiji
12 October 2014 | East of Savusavu, Fiji
30 September 2014 | Savusavu, Fiji
21 September 2014 | Lape Village, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga
14 September 2014 | Neiafu, Vava'u in The Kingdom of Tonga
01 September 2014 | safely in Neiafu, Vavua, Tonga
31 August 2014 | hundreds of miles from anywhere
21 August 2014 | on route to uninhabited Suwarrow atoll
06 August 2014 | French Polynesia
28 July 2014
10 July 2014
09 July 2014 | Bora Bora, French Polynesia
26 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
17 June 2014 | departing Anse Amyot, Tuamotus
24 May 2014 | Writing from Tahuata
03 May 2014 | Rikitea, Mangareva
24 April 2014 | En Route to French Polynesia

MOOREA, the beautiful

06 August 2014 | French Polynesia
PHOTO: Haapiti

To set the mood as I sit to write this blog post, I am playing "Moorea", the peppy Gipsy Kings song, through my earphones and clicking through my photos of this island in slideshow mode. An involuntary grin of reminiscence automatically takes over my face.

Of the islands we have visited thus far, Moorea is a chief contender for favorite. The heart-shaped island's natural splendor undersea is well balanced by its amenities and attractions ashore: evocative over-water thatched bungalows, gorgeous bays, great hikes, and plentiful sea life, plus easy ferry service to Papeete and reliable internet!!. The island is stunningly beautiful from both near and far - in my humble opinion, every bit if not more dramatic than Bora Bora. Not surprisingly, Moorea is said to have provided some of the backdrops for the film version of "South Pacific" and, even today, embodies the sailor's vision of Polynesian paradise. We first enjoyed her distinctive outline from our vantage roughly 15 miles away over our many days anchored on the west coast of Tahiti. And now, inside the protection of her reefs, the views of her jagged peaks and dense valleys contrasting with the breaking aqua waters are even more impressive. And there is much to explore....

Moorea has two major and adjacent bays - Cook's and Opunohu - on the north side of island where most cruisers congregate. We dropped our hook in Opunohu Bay and, wasting no time, launched the dinghy and followed the marked dinghy channel through the coral-laced water out to "Stingray City", as it is affectionate called. Here the local tour boats have trained these graceful fish to gather for food. Armed with canned sardines, they will eat out of your hands. I wasn't adventurous enough to try that, hearing that fingers can be bitten, but it was amazing to be in water so shallow we could stand while watching the eager rays climb on the backs of the sardine-holders. Dozens of stingrays swam around us, docile and comfortable with humans. I cautiously touched the back of one ray and was surprised to feel the velvety texture, not unlike a portabella mushroom. Then I turned to see the rather plump black tip sharks mere feet from us circling the ray-feeding activity, apparently awaiting the scraps. Had this endeavor not been created and fostered by the tour industry - where I could cling to at least the illusion of safety in numbers - the presence of this density of large, potentially dangerous sea creatures would have quite unnerved me. .... but, alas, the whole thing was actually wicked cool.

Opunohu Bay also gave us easy access to two great hikes. First we hiked about 5 km up the road ascending Mont Tohiea (3960 ft) to the "Belvedere" lookout. The trek up was mildly strenuous and just long enough to provide a sense of accomplishment and, once there, the vistas down both bays provided further reward for our efforts. Circling back down the road, we veered off to wander through a forested park that contained the many well-preserved archeological stone slabs of the Marea Tetiiroa. One in particular caught our eye for its unusual semi-circular cut-out, so designed for ceremonial archery exercises into the wooded hills. We slowly strolled among the ruins imaging the tribal life here before the explorers from the West arrived.

Fruits of all kinds grow liberally along these verdant slopes and indeed, during our descent, we stopped to sample the homemade jams produced by the agricultural school (le Lycee Agricole de Opunohu) located in this valley. We settled on a purchase of pineapple-papaya preserves to go. On another day we hiked the unpaved Route des Ananas through the pineapple plantations of the Paopao valley. Our hike was pleasant enough, but was greatly enhanced when a young man and his son, with spontaneous, unprompted Polynesian hospitality, stopped their car to point out a hidden trail. With this local knowledge, we retraced our steps, found the cut and climbed up to a dirt plateau for a panorama back onto the organized pineapple fields on the slope, the long views down the converging valleys and expansive Cook's Bay in the distance. It was the big money view we would have surely missed without their refreshing human-to-human happenstance help.

If the two hikes were not enough to get our unaccustomed muscles pumping, we also rented bicycles from the nearby Hilton Resort. On our pricey "comfort" cruisers - which were NOT - we struggled with the pot-holed roads and constant stream of aggressive drivers speeding past. We had deliberately decided against renting scooters as we had heard of many unfortunate accidents, but bikes also seemed not the way to see Moorea; at least not on this busy side of the island. I will not hold this against Moorea - I still think her inviting, intriguing and gorgeous - but we will just save our bicycle rental dollars for quieter islands. Nonetheless, while the ride was not pastoral or relaxing, my water-logged legs and lungs still very much welcomed the exercise. Before returning the bikes, we took a quick quarter-mile detour to Usine de Jus de Fruits de Moorea, the Rotui fruit juice factory. Sampling their chilled non-alcoholic (and alcoholic) juices in the showroom made for refreshing compensation for our tiring day.

And then there was Haapiti. On the southwest side of Moorea, miles from the popular and busy cruiser-centric bays, we made the cut through the frothy pass in an attempt to keep our two 25-year-olds happy. Eric - and now Robert - have become keenly focused on surfing Polynesian waves wherever possible....and Haapiti is a classic. With shallow waters and many "bommies" (coral heads) in this anchorage, we had to drop our hook quite close to the small handful of boats already set. Eric and Robert were happy to see the red catamaran arrive with an South African family who have three avid teenage surfers on board - guys they had already befriended in Tahiti. The boys ventured over to the pounding waves and had only marginal success with the just-a-bit-too large reef breaks, but - no worries - they especially enjoyed the repeat company of their spirited Cape Town friends as they shared celebratory beers each evening. David and I took a short walk ashore to the "village" finding not much more than a picturesque church (Eglise de la Sainte Famille) and a small magasin, but ironically, also freshly paved roads. Smooth roads, no traffic, miles of sunshine - THIS is where we should have ridden the bikes! Ultimately, keeping our "kids" happy proved a winning strategy as we found the exquisite backdrop of this quiet "surfer-anchorage" exceedingly striking, even by our new Moorea-elevated standards.

In the days since we left Haapiti, I now catch myself humming the Gipsy Kings song often; The upbeat rendition - along with the alluring images of beautiful Moorea - are stuck in my head. It's not a bad thing.
Comments
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 40 Catamaran - Robertson & Caine design
Hailing Port: Naples, FL, USA
Crew: David, Dede & Eric
About:
Catalyzed by my husband David's unexpected early retirement and cemented by our 25-year-old son Eric 's eagerness to (pay his way and) join us, I find myself a reluctant but willing third-shift circumnavigator....well not really. [...]
Extra: "When we stop struggling we float" ... from The Book of Awakening
Social:
Andiamo's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 27 January 2014
Happy 56th Birthday, Captain Dave. Remember these sailing moments?
11 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
A glimpse at the challenges of provisioning and stowing.
21 Photos
Created 1 December 2013
Captain David and Eric spend 6 days covering much sea
27 Photos
Created 25 October 2011
Eric arrives on his 23rd birthday; Dede leaves for home
33 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
In the ICW with stops at Southport, NC and Georgetown, SC, as well as motoring through The Ditch
18 Photos
Created 15 October 2011
Hatteras, Ocracoke, Oriental (ICW) and Cape Lookout, sailing to Wrightsville Beach
33 Photos
Created 9 October 2011
Norfolk, The Great Dismal Swamp, Elizabeth City, Manteo
25 Photos
Created 5 October 2011
New Jersey Coast, Cape May, Annapolis, St. Michaels and Oxford and the southern Chesapeake
43 Photos
Created 30 September 2011
Sailing down "memory lane" - Long Island Sound - we visit with Uncle Paul & Aunt Ann and Marty & Linda as we anchor in Black Rock Harbor; then on to NYC
31 Photos
Created 18 September 2011
What an awesome time cycling around Nantucket and hitting different ports on The Vineyard!
26 Photos
Created 13 September 2011
Highlights: visit w/ LAURA's family AND celebrating our 30th anniversary at the OCEAN HOUSE
27 Photos
Created 5 September 2011
After 1998.9 miles, we begin our return home from Bar Harbor. With Katie & Eric still with us we also makes plans for Hurricane Irene
21 Photos
Created 28 August 2011
Katie & Eric join us to explore our country's second most visited park
34 Photos
Created 23 August 2011
Boothbay - Visiting with Cousin Fran & Family; Katie & Eric arrive!
30 Photos
Created 19 August 2011
Starting out at Kittery Point and heading to Booth Bay Harbor
23 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Captain Dave and Reluctant First Mate Dede begin THE GREAT SAILING ADVENTURE from Stonington, CT
25 Photos
Created 8 August 2011
Captain Dave and First Mate Mike sail from Virgina Beach to Stonington, CT. Dede Finally shows up!
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2011
Captain Dave, who is later joined by temporary First Mate Todd, sails from Naples to Virgina Beach
8 Photos
Created 27 July 2011