Andiamo Naples

....one woman's take on round-the-world... (well, sort of)

05 January 2015 | finally writing, back in the USA
23 October 2014 | The Islands of Eastern Fiji
12 October 2014 | East of Savusavu, Fiji
30 September 2014 | Savusavu, Fiji
21 September 2014 | Lape Village, Vava'u, The Kingdom of Tonga
14 September 2014 | Neiafu, Vava'u in The Kingdom of Tonga
01 September 2014 | safely in Neiafu, Vavua, Tonga
31 August 2014 | hundreds of miles from anywhere
21 August 2014 | on route to uninhabited Suwarrow atoll
06 August 2014 | French Polynesia
28 July 2014
10 July 2014
09 July 2014 | Bora Bora, French Polynesia
26 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
17 June 2014 | departing Anse Amyot, Tuamotus
24 May 2014 | Writing from Tahuata
03 May 2014 | Rikitea, Mangareva
24 April 2014 | En Route to French Polynesia

The Cook Islands - Choosing Suwarrow

21 August 2014 | on route to uninhabited Suwarrow atoll
I can clearly picture that mug which sat squarely in the corner of my old desk back home (when I had one) serving double-duty as a pencil cup and a glib reminder that "The Key to Life is Plan B". Parked as we were in Bora Bora day-upon-day awaiting a weather window for our Cook Islands' passage, Eric, our resident weather guru and itinerary planner, fueled by frustration finally found a way to invoke that maxim. If the weather south of us was going to be persistently, consistently disturbed, let's go north!

Still, given the geography of the Cook Islands that decision is not made glibly at all. To this point, our South Pacific itinerary had been pretty pat, as evidenced by our propensity to bump into the same consortium of boats in each port as we all marched through the Marquesas, Tuamotus, and Society Islands more or less as a cruising season-driven pack, visiting many ports in each island chain along the way. But now it is decision time as the 15 Cook Islands cover a total land area of just 93 square miles spread over 750,000 square miles of vast ocean - microdot islands in a sea the size of Western Europe. Loosely clumped, they are referred to as the Southern and Northern Cooks but they are still so widely dispersed, most cruisers mindful of the time constraints in continuing westward prior to cyclone season, have time to visit only one. Add in the fact that just a handful of The Cooks having passable anchorages, our choices were already few.

Our original Plan A - a basically straight line course from Bora Bora towards Tonga - had us setting our sights on the road more traveled route to Aitutaki and/or Palmerston in the Southern Cooks. But with these dogged weather conditions south, Eric posed the alternative of heading more NORTH to Suwarrow(the most southern of the Northern Cooks)hopefully keeping this disorganized array of fronts below us.

However, Plan B introduced its own issues. First, we would be committing to significantly longer passages both up to Suwarow and then back down to Tonga, turning 3 day legs into 5 to 6, probably the primary reason we had at first dismissed this choice (and you know how much I love passages!). But better 6 days of fair skies and possibly favorable, sailable winds than 3 of junk, right? Furthermore, off-the-beaten-path Suwarrow is not an official port of entry which would mean seeking special permission to stop there. So, while still in Bora Bora with reliable internet, we researched, located and completed the official Cooks Islands 5-page form to request entry directly to Suwarrow. Fingers crossed.

As we awaited word back. we wondered in retrospect why Suwarrow had not always been our first choice as this uninhabited atoll has long had a near mythical pull for sailors going back to the legendary figure, Tom Neale. David, years ago while still an armchair explorer, remembers enjoying the Cruising World article about this native New Zealander, a modern day Robinson Crusoe, who became so fascinated with Suwarrow that he chose to maroon himself on Anchorage Island - the largest island in Suwarrow atoll. Living alone over 16 years (1953 to 1977, in three separate stints) on this uninhabited island which can only be reached by private vessel - far off the shipping routes - Neale is known to have welcomed and charmed the rare sailors that found their way there, establishing a nautical custom that to this day is irresistible to seafarers. Perhaps in recognition of this allure, the Cook Island government has now made this atoll (11 miles across) a national park and nature reserve and it remains uninhabited except for a seasonal park ranger who serves as much as the island's caretaker and host carrying on Neale's tradition as he/she does a government official.

Receiving a thumbs up from the Cook Islands officials we finally departed Bora Bora last Saturday and we should arrive early morning tomorrow, Friday. It has been a mostly dry, irritatingly slow, lumpy and somewhat frustrating 6 days, as we are still experiencing some repercussions from the multiple competing weather systems well south of us. Yet as a bonus for the tedium of moving at barely jog speed, the guys have hooked numerous mahi-mahi providing meals for days. Overall, it has been an "easy" passage which has allowed plenty of time for us to pass around our free downloaded copy of Tom Neale's, "An Island to Oneself"; his autobiographical account of his first two stays on Suwarrow.

Myself a person who loves my alone time, I am still dumbstruck by such a radical lifestyle choice. Neale claims that while he chose to live in solitude he was never lonely, focused - almost to obsession - on whipping the island into habitable shape. Wikipedia calls Thomas Francis Neale a "bushcraft and survival enthusiast" and there is no doubt, as he details in his account, he needed maximum competency in the skills of self-reliance. However, in essence what I took away is that Neale chose to "make a go of it", taking on this ultimate personal responsibility, returning three times to live on the island (even leaving behind a wife and family) so as to achieve what he wanted most - true independence. While clearly on a much reduced level, is this not what also draws men like my husband (and my son) to sail his own little vessel around the planet.....and to pay homage to the likes of Tom Neale along the way?

Legends aside, I remain a bit tentative about our Suwarrow detour. Anchoring here has a reputation for poor holding which has landed many a yacht on its unforgiving reef; these tales made all the more real as a boat sadly met this demise just last week during a 40-knot gusting squall. As a weighty reminder we are sure to see the wreck as we approach in the morning. Oh, and the lagoon is notorious for its prolific shark population. Let's see how Plan B works out.

P. S. This Author's Suggestion: Just for giggles, Google or Wiki "Suwarrow" and see where we are headed.....Also check out the short 4 minute you-tube video with a montage of photos of Tom Neale living in Suwarrow. Sorry I cannot provide the links as I am remotely posting from somewhere in the Pacific Ocean.
Comments
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Make/Model: Leopard 40 Catamaran - Robertson & Caine design
Hailing Port: Naples, FL, USA
Crew: David, Dede & Eric
About:
Catalyzed by my husband David's unexpected early retirement and cemented by our 25-year-old son Eric 's eagerness to (pay his way and) join us, I find myself a reluctant but willing third-shift circumnavigator....well not really. [...]
Extra: "When we stop struggling we float" ... from The Book of Awakening
Social:
Andiamo's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 27 January 2014
Happy 56th Birthday, Captain Dave. Remember these sailing moments?
11 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
A glimpse at the challenges of provisioning and stowing.
21 Photos
Created 1 December 2013
Captain David and Eric spend 6 days covering much sea
27 Photos
Created 25 October 2011
Eric arrives on his 23rd birthday; Dede leaves for home
33 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
In the ICW with stops at Southport, NC and Georgetown, SC, as well as motoring through The Ditch
18 Photos
Created 15 October 2011
Hatteras, Ocracoke, Oriental (ICW) and Cape Lookout, sailing to Wrightsville Beach
33 Photos
Created 9 October 2011
Norfolk, The Great Dismal Swamp, Elizabeth City, Manteo
25 Photos
Created 5 October 2011
New Jersey Coast, Cape May, Annapolis, St. Michaels and Oxford and the southern Chesapeake
43 Photos
Created 30 September 2011
Sailing down "memory lane" - Long Island Sound - we visit with Uncle Paul & Aunt Ann and Marty & Linda as we anchor in Black Rock Harbor; then on to NYC
31 Photos
Created 18 September 2011
What an awesome time cycling around Nantucket and hitting different ports on The Vineyard!
26 Photos
Created 13 September 2011
Highlights: visit w/ LAURA's family AND celebrating our 30th anniversary at the OCEAN HOUSE
27 Photos
Created 5 September 2011
After 1998.9 miles, we begin our return home from Bar Harbor. With Katie & Eric still with us we also makes plans for Hurricane Irene
21 Photos
Created 28 August 2011
Katie & Eric join us to explore our country's second most visited park
34 Photos
Created 23 August 2011
Boothbay - Visiting with Cousin Fran & Family; Katie & Eric arrive!
30 Photos
Created 19 August 2011
Starting out at Kittery Point and heading to Booth Bay Harbor
23 Photos
Created 14 August 2011
Captain Dave and Reluctant First Mate Dede begin THE GREAT SAILING ADVENTURE from Stonington, CT
25 Photos
Created 8 August 2011
Captain Dave and First Mate Mike sail from Virgina Beach to Stonington, CT. Dede Finally shows up!
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2011
Captain Dave, who is later joined by temporary First Mate Todd, sails from Naples to Virgina Beach
8 Photos
Created 27 July 2011