s/v Angel & Workboat 54

A lady sailing her boat & working as a mobile, marine mechanic.

19 June 2015 | The remote backcountry of Florida Bay
07 June 2015 | Ten Thousand Islands
03 June 2015 | Florida Keys
21 December 2014 | Florida Everglads, 10,000 Islands
14 December 2014 | PART I OF II
31 October 2014 | Small Island City
10 October 2014 | Quintana Roo, Mexico
26 September 2014 | Eluethera, Bahamas
27 August 2014 | Bahamas
02 July 2014 | Miami
22 April 2014 | Card Sound, Upper Florida Keys
13 April 2014 | Johnston Key Channel, Florida Keys
11 April 2014 | South Florida

Oddball Repairs

13 April 2014 | Johnston Key Channel, Florida Keys
The calm after a rainstorm
Photo above: s/v Astrid after the sun set.

The blog post: Angel on a short sail with Neil on s/v Astrid (Neil is my partner in our mobile marine repair work & a sailing enthusiast)

Astrid needed no coaxing to duck into a channel behind the keys for a break. The wide, sheltered dogleg of Johnston Key Channel was easy to see and sail into. The channel entrance is 8 to 10 feet, and deepens from there. As if the diesel's cracked engine mount wasn't enough, Angel's tiller steering became less functional. She was slow to respond and the tiller had an unusual, spongy feel. Hastily finding a spot along the channel's edge, I dropped anchor over white sand in eight feet of water. The bottom consisted of patchy sea grass, sand and hard bottom with sponges.
Birdie, Angel's resident parrot, hung out in the cockpit to sing, take a wing-flapping bath, and study our new surrounds. The little conure was protected from outdoor hazards by a light mesh screen. After tucking Astrid in, Neil paddled over to Angel.
"I think my water tank has a leak," he said, explaining how his freshwater pump was only pumping air. "And the junction box cover fell off my solar panel, but I still have it." I offered to share Angel's water and help with his panel. Then I showed Neil the base of Angel's tiller, where the layers of wood were delaminated at the butt end's attachment points. I'd installed that tiller eleven years ago and kept it varnished and covered, yet water had wicked into the bolt holes and weakened it over time. The day's rough sail had revealed its unseen weakness. I'd have to dig out the epoxy and some clamps to repair this one.
"The way things are breaking, it looks like we'll be here for a while," Neil said with an unconcerned shrug. Sheltered and surrounded by shimmering, translucent waters and an unspoiled horizon dotted with mangrove isles, Johnston Key Channel was a pleasant place to be.
Comments
Vessel Name: Angel
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 29/31
Hailing Port: Milwaukee
Crew: singlehander
About: Living aboard a traveling sailboat: Balancing work & earning a living with cruising.
Home Page: http://www.rebeccaburg.com
Social:

A Lady & her Boat

Who: singlehander
Port: Milwaukee