s/v Angel & Workboat 54

A lady sailing her boat & working as a mobile, marine mechanic.

19 June 2015 | The remote backcountry of Florida Bay
07 June 2015 | Ten Thousand Islands
03 June 2015 | Florida Keys
21 December 2014 | Florida Everglads, 10,000 Islands
14 December 2014 | PART I OF II
31 October 2014 | Small Island City
10 October 2014 | Quintana Roo, Mexico
26 September 2014 | Eluethera, Bahamas
27 August 2014 | Bahamas
02 July 2014 | Miami
22 April 2014 | Card Sound, Upper Florida Keys
13 April 2014 | Johnston Key Channel, Florida Keys
11 April 2014 | South Florida

Fish Catches Man

19 June 2015 | The remote backcountry of Florida Bay
Raining Fish
Photo: Neil, his Cape Dory Astrid, and the kayak cruising in Florida Bay (with Angel and Rebecca)

The bow of his yellow kayak effortlessly sliced through the shallows of Florida Bay. Gulls called in the distance. Neil inhaled the brine scented breeze and felt the sun's warmth on the bare skin of his back and shoulders. A white heron glided past on silent wings.

Schools of minnows darted from his approach and spiraled in the translucent water below. Creating their own wakes, a group of ballyhoo arrowed just under the surface, their long, sharp lower jaws hungrily nosing through bits of floating sea grass. Neil paddled in a deep channel, a tidal flat on one side and an uninhabited mangrove isle on the other. An escape into nature was just what he'd needed.

The kayak’s approach startled some of the fish and a few jumped out of the water, landing with plopping splashes. Neil continued paddling, amused by the silvery shapes leaping around him and slapping back into the sea. One of the fish failed to make it. The spear-nosed ballyhoo lodged into Neil’s back instead.

Howling in surprise and pain, Neil nearly dropping the paddle. The fish had situated itself, lawn dart style, in a spot Neil couldn’t reach. Fins uselessly flapping in place, it protruded from his back.

Making a distressed noise, Neil twisted around, first one way, then the other, trying in vain to reach behind him. He entertained the horrifying image of having to flee to the nearest civilized shore with a fish jammed in his back. Then he’d have to find someone to pull it out.

As he struggled to use the paddle in an awkward attempt to dislodge the fish, it wiggled free. Flipping into the water, it darted away, no worse for the wear.
Back stinging, Neil hunched forward and slowly paddled to his sailboat. So much for a relaxing day off work.

For more zany-but-true stories like this one, click here
Comments
Vessel Name: Angel
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 29/31
Hailing Port: Milwaukee
Crew: singlehander
About: Living aboard a traveling sailboat: Balancing work & earning a living with cruising.
Home Page: http://www.rebeccaburg.com
Social:

A Lady & her Boat

Who: singlehander
Port: Milwaukee