S/V Puddle Pirate goes cruising

Ankley's family adventure, cruising with kids.

30 January 2016 | Mushroom Rock
12 January 2016 | San Carlos
29 January 2015 | La Cruz
21 December 2014 | San Diego
22 October 2014 | San Diego
12 June 2014 | Washington
04 May 2014 | 150 miles off the Island of Guadalupe
15 April 2014 | Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
08 April 2014 | La Paz
10 March 2014 | La Cruz
09 February 2014 | La Cruz
26 January 2014 | La Paz
03 January 2014 | San Carlos, Mexico
21 December 2013 | San Carlos, Mexico
09 September 2013 | Everett
03 July 2013 | Everett
10 June 2013 | Washington, USA
16 May 2013 | Santa Rosalia
29 April 2013 | Island Coranodo's
22 April 2013 | Puerto Escondido

Go, Not GOO, Huge Difference! (Captain Ron)

24 March 2013 | La Paz, Mexico
Tamberlyn
The last time I posted we were waiting for our water heater to arrive from the states. We were staying out of La Paz to save money and experience more of the cruising lifestyle, not the sitting at anchor for weeks on end type. To recap we had to leave Mushroom rock because the girls flipped the dingy while rinsing it out on the beach. Well sand got in the engine and this caused the engine to stop working. So we decided to head back to La Paz and fix the motor. Not to fear, we have a back up engine but it is a 15 horse power. Way too fast for the girls to handle by them self, but it makes for a fast fun ride. As soon as we arrived in La Paz we dropped the fast motor on the dingy and we were ready to go. Because it was Sunday, no stores were open to pick up parts for the other outboard motor. We settled in for the night and decided to head out first thing in the morning, so we thought.

Monday morning we called the marine store to see if our water heater had arrived on schedule. It had not arrived; in fact it was not even in Mexico. For some reason it was held up at the border and wouldn’t arrive until the end of the week. Oh well there went our plans for a quick fix and then out cruising. So Lew set his sights on fixing the outboard. After a few days running around town looking for the right size bolt for the carburetor we finally got one and fixed the outboard. In the interim, Lew came down with a very bad chest cold and infection. We are not having great luck with leaving La Paz anytime soon. I called S/V Seamentress, a cruiser turn boat doctor who makes boat calls for all the cruisers located in the La Paz bay. She said “Lew you need to get some rest and receive an antibiotic shot every day for 6 days along with pills.” Oh good I finely get to give Lew a shot in his ass, not just one shot but 6 shots in his ass. The down side was he was out of commission for the install of the water heater when it finally arrived.

While Lew was resting up, I called Will at Tex Mex services to come take a look at our auto helm. I wanted to see it there was any last thing that could be done before we pronounced it dead. Will came out to our boat and he took a close look at all the systems. Will had some good news; our auto helm can be revived. I welcomed good news after all the mishaps we were having. But if it wasn’t for the water heater arriving late and Lew getting sick we would have left La Paz without an auto helm.

After a week of convalescents at anchor we finally left La Paz and pulled back into Mushroom rock. Water heater working, small outboard working and the auto helm resurrected and working again. I am starting to believe that everything happens for a reason. Lew getting sick while we were safe at anchor in La Paz with good medical available was better then last year when he got sick in the deserted islands of the Sea Of Cortez. Then having the extra time to investigate the auto helm and have it repaired was just the luck we needed. Our favorite crew member was back and better than ever. It all worked out for the good. Tomorrow we plan on heading up into the Sea and starting our journey back to San Carlos. We have two months to explore and cruise before our travel visa runs out. All systems are working and we are good to go. I am excited to finally cut the La Paz bungee cord for good.
Comments
Vessel Name: Puddle Pirate
Vessel Make/Model: 44 ft. Gulfstar ketch
Hailing Port: Hidden Harbor, WA
Crew: Lew, Tamberlyn andAubryanna Rose
About: Lew and Tamberlyn lived in Tulalip, WA with their 3 youngest kids. Lew retired from Boeing in June 2011, then we cut the dock lines for good and went cruising full time. Their oldest daughter Crystal and son Fernando will keep to the land and visit in the winters.
Extra: Warm sunshine is what we seek! Oh Lew is always on a hunt for good pizza.
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/directory_name/mistress2
Social:
Puddle Pirate's Photos - Count down to cruising (Main)
5 Photos
Created 29 January 2015
Banderas Bay
11 Photos
Created 9 February 2014
Puddle Pirate gets her bottom fixed and painted
5 Photos
Created 26 January 2014
Taken in Hawaii in the 80's
11 Photos
Created 16 May 2013
2013 Mexico season
9 Photos
Created 13 February 2013
12 Photos
Created 1 May 2012
12 Photos
Created 1 May 2012
5 Photos
Created 1 May 2012
13 Photos
Created 1 May 2012
55 Photos
Created 1 May 2012
42 Photos
Created 27 April 2012