Annecam

26 March 2021
20 March 2021
29 August 2019 | Burnett River, Burnett Heads, Queensland, Australia.
23 August 2019 | Burnett River, Burnett Heads, Queensland, Australia.
01 August 2019 | Burnett River, Burnett Heads, Queensland, Australia.
29 July 2019 | Burnett River, Burnett Heads, Queensland, Australia.
25 July 2019 | Burnett River, Burnett Heads, Queensland, Australia.
11 July 2019 | Burnett River, Burnett Heads, Queensland, Australia.
17 June 2019 | Burnett River, Burnett Heads, Queensland, Australia.
06 June 2019 | Burnett River, Burnett Heads, Queensland, Australia.
30 May 2019 | Burnett River, Burnett Heads, Queensland, Australia.
23 May 2019 | Burnett River, Burnett Heads, Queensland, Australia.
19 May 2019 | Lady Musgrave Island, Queensland, Australia.
28 February 2019 | Burnett Heads, Queensland, Australia.
14 February 2019 | Burnett Heads, Queensland, Australia.
22 November 2018 | Burnett River, Burnett Heads, Queensland, Australia.
04 November 2018 | Burnett River, Burnett Heads, Queensland, Australia.
25 October 2018 | Burnett River, Burnett Heads, Queensland, Australia.
20 October 2018 | Burnett River, Burnett Heads, Queensland, Australia.
18 August 2018 | Burnett River, Burnett Heads, Queensland, Australia.

On this day

09 March 2017 | Sailors Bay, North Bridge, Middle Harbour, NSW
Cam "H"
We find it hard to believe that on this day twelve months ago, we were on passage from Puerto Rico to Cartagena Columbia, we had planned to head straight to Colon, Panama to transit the Panama Canal but the wind and the seas quickly had us looking at our second option and that was Columbia. We were about half way between our departure port and our destination port, the weather had dished up a rather nasty Caribbean Low Pressure system that was about to give us a taste of what Mother Nature could dish out. We had just had two very easy days of light winds and flat seas but on this day the barometer was falling at an alarming rate, the wind was strengthening from the 10 to 15 knots we had for the first two days and was now a steady 38 knots with the odd gust smacking us at over 60. This was fast turning into the passage from hell, we had reduced our sails down to less than 10%, Annecam was running off the breaking waves like a freight train and was holding course like she was on rails. This was fine until the first of five rogue waves picked us up and threw Annecam down into the trough and rolling us over putting our spreaders and rig into the water, these rogue waves were coming at us from ninety degrees to the prevailing seas and for the life of me to this day I still can’t figure out what the hell was generating these crazy inconsistent waves. The good news from this situation was that we came out the other side after another two days without a scratch except for a very sick laptop computer that leapt off the navigation table and flew across the cabin to come to a smashing stop on the wall of the rear head. The seas were still giving us a wild ride right to the safe water mark at the southern entrance to the Port of Cartagena.
This day we would set our all-time record for miles sailed in 24 hours, a record we hope to never be in the same circumstances to break, we sailed 241 nautical miles in the 24 hours with almost no sails. That is an average of just over 10 knots, sure we have had much higher speeds but not for a full 24 hours.
We were not alone out there in the middle of the Caribbean Sea, we had to dodge several commercial cargo ships, the Cape Breton, Megacore Philomena, Gas Diana and the SV Xing all came within one nautical mile of us while we were battling the seas. There were several more ships that passed but further away, we had enough on our plate as it was without the added extra element of big cargo ships that seemed to be lining us up.
The video is one that some of you would already have watched, it is the video that I managed to be in the right place at the right time to capture one of the knock downs and this one was the gentlest of them all. I had just turned the GoPro on and was at the top of the companionway about to step out into the cockpit when this wave came through.
The photo is a screen shot taken off the video showing the gentle knock down, take note of the solar panels touching the water and have a look at where one of our fenders finished up, I thought that I was going to have to stab it to get it out.
I’ve said it before and I will say it again, life isn’t measured by the number of breaths you take, it is measured by the number of moments that take your breath away.

Comments
Vessel Name: Annecam
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria 46
Hailing Port: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Crew: Campbell & Annette Hair
About: Cam has had a long love for the ocean, over 40 years on and off various boats. Annie would love smooth seas and to never to see another winter.
Extra: Rig heavy, reef early, and pray often; for God does not promise us an easy passage, but He does promise a safe anchorage.
Home Page: https://my.yb.tl/annecam/map-only/
Social:
Annecam's Photos - Main
7 Photos
Created 15 November 2014
Up on the rock
17 Photos
Created 29 October 2014
The last few days cruising 2014
11 Photos
Created 29 October 2014
Greece, Italy & Sicily
41 Photos
Created 29 January 2014
Greece
96 Photos
Created 25 January 2014
Croatia, Montenegro and Greece
71 Photos
Created 13 January 2014
Annecams last month in Croatia
37 Photos
Created 12 January 2014
Floating around Croatia
25 Photos
Created 11 January 2014
On the Dalmatian coast
29 Photos
Created 5 May 2013
Back in Sukosan, Croatia
15 Photos
Created 3 April 2013
67 Photos
Created 27 September 2012
A few photos of the inside of Annecam
21 Photos
Created 19 September 2012
An amazing waterway
6 Photos
Created 17 September 2012
She sails beautifully
42 Photos
Created 17 September 2012
14 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
6 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
7 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
9 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
6 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
Day 1 Croatia
13 Photos
Created 16 September 2012
https://my.yb.tl/annecam/