Going South for Winter

25 March 2014 | Loggerhead Marina, Stuart FL
20 March 2014 | Ocean Reef Yacht Club, Bahamas
11 March 2014 | Ocean Reef Yacht Club, Lucaya, Grand Bahama
15 April 2013 | Stoney Creek, Ontario
18 March 2013 | Legacy harbour Marina, Fort Myers
02 March 2013 | Ft Lauderdale Marina, Ft Lauderdale
06 February 2013 | Sombrero Resort & Marina, Marathon
16 January 2013 | Sombrero Resort & Marina, Marathon Florida
05 December 2012 | Melbourne City Marina, Melbourne Florida
24 November 2012 | Halifax Harbour Marina, Daytona Beach
21 November 2012 | Fernandina Harbor Marina, Amelia Island
21 November 2012 | Morningstar Marinas Golden Isles, St Simons Georgia
17 November 2012 | Isle of Hope Marina, Savannah
15 November 2012 | Beaufort , South Carolina
12 November 2012 | Harbourwalk Marina, Georgetown SC MM403
10 November 2012 | Barefoot Marina, Myrtle Beach SC
07 November 2012 | Swan Point Marina, Sneeds Ferry NC
05 November 2012 | Morehead City Yacht Basin
05 November 2012 | Dowry Creek Marina Belhaven NC
03 November 2012 | Alligator River Marina, Columbia NC

New York, New York

07 August 2012 | Lincoln Harbour Marina, Wekawken NJ
After a very peaceful night in Kingston NY, with none of the forecasted storms materializing, we were off the dock by 7:00AM on our way to New York City.
It was a picture perfect day on the water, sun shining with no humidity & the high winds of the day before had gone to wherever high winds go when they are finished.
We all enjoyed the Hudson River scenery, beautiful old mansions high on the hilside, neat lighthouses sitting on rocks in the middle of the river & before we knew it West Point Military Academy came into view & then very soon after the George Washington Bridge.
Our trusty GPS brought us right to the entrance to Lincoln Harbor Marina in Wehawken NJ, directly across the Hudson River from the Empire State Building & right at the spot where the Miracle on the Hudson occurred ( US Airlways Plane that crashlanded in the Hudson River) & we were securely tied with the fuel tanks filled & the holding tank emptied by 3:30PM.
We treated ourselves to dinner at The ChartHouse Restuarant & again it did not disappoint. Pricy but yummy roast beef with enough leftovers for dinner tonight.
Today we all took the ferry over to the city, hopped the bus & went to the bottom of Manhattan to the 911 Memorial. Tourism is not suffering in New York City !!! The streets were the usual hustle & bustle of New York but this is high vacation season & it showed. We did not have time to wait in line for tickets to view the gardens but at least John & Shirley got an idea of the magnitude & scope of what actually happened here on September 11, 2001. The whole of the memorial is still a work in progress with approx 3000 people working every day on the construction of the Memorial Towers & surrounding grounds.
So, we all voted to return to the boat & enjoy the rest of our time here with cold libations on the flybridge of the boat, watching the activities on the river. At any given time there are at least five ferries running at full speed back & forth across the river, plus the recreational boats & the helicopters that are always buzzing overhead. No marina on this area of the Hudson River can avoid the swells that come from the ferries so as a result it is always a rocking & rolling experience & requiring a tight hold on your wine glass :)
Tomorrow morning will be another early departure to get us out of the Harbor before the heavy ferry traffic starts.
It is approximately 95 miles to Atlantic City and this is our planned destination tomorrow if the forecast holds. After todays off day we will be ready to hit the waterways tomorrow again.

Comments
Vessel Name: Apres Sail
Vessel Make/Model: 40 Mariner Orient Trawler
Hailing Port: Mimico Cruising Club Toronto
Crew: Frank & Eleanor Langley
About: Ok, we're tired of being cold in the winter so thought we would try something new. Hopefully we can make the play/work combo sucessful. Won't know until we try it.!
Home Page: www.sailblogs.com/apressail

On Our Way South

Who: Frank & Eleanor Langley
Port: Mimico Cruising Club Toronto