April Fool

Vessel Name: April fool
Vessel Make/Model: Pearson 38
Hailing Port: Annapolis MD
04 April 2014 | Little Alligator River NC
23 March 2014 | Thunderbolt GA
21 March 2014 | Georgia
21 March 2014 | St. Augustine Florida
15 November 2013
13 November 2013 | Delegal Creek
10 November 2013
07 November 2013 | Charleston
04 November 2013 | Graham Creek SC
01 November 2013 | Southport NC
26 October 2013 | Dowry Creek Marina off the Pungo River NC ICW M131.8
22 October 2013 | Portsmouth
Recent Blog Posts
04 April 2014 | Little Alligator River NC

Almost home

At the rate we are moving we should be home next Wed. or Thurs. The last three days have been wonderful--sunny, 80 degrees and calm. The wind is picking up tonight though, SW 11 with 20-23 gusts but we are in a well protected anchorage on the Little Alligator River. Tomorrow we will be crossing the Albermarle [...]

23 March 2014 | Thunderbolt GA

On to Savannah

We left Cumberland Island after waiting for the fog to lift, headed for St.Simon's Island. We stopped there on our way south; it is beautiful with many large live oaks. And we liked the Coastal Kitchen near our marina--great food, especially the shrimp and grits. And the marina delivers great muffins [...]

21 March 2014 | Georgia

Cumberland Island National Seaashore

We spent our first night on a mooring in Fernandina Beach FL after a cool cloudy trip from St Augustine. It was a long day but we wanted to make it to Cumberland Island National Seashore early the next day. We made good progress with only one bridge opening and a favorable current most of the time. We got to the Cumberland Island anchorage at 10:30 a.m. on Wed. and soon took the dinghy to a park dock. We spent several hours on Cumberland Island, walking trails to the ocean and to ruins of a mansion built in the late 1800's by a Carnegie. Most of the island is now part of the park. We saw wild horses and turkeys and many shore birds. The only way to get there is by boat; a ferry runs from St. Mary's GA. It was cloudy and cool but no wind so it was not a bad day for exploring. Definitely worth a return trip--there was much more to see.

21 March 2014 | St. Augustine Florida

Traveling North

Tues., 3/18/14: We are leaving today to make our return trek to Annapolis. We have had a wonderful time but are ready to get on our way again. We did go south as far as Vero Beach in early February, looking for some warm weather. And it was much warmer than St. Augustine. We made stops in Daytona Beach, [...]

18 November 2013

Fernandina Beach-St. Augustine

When we got up this a.m., we had a nice surprise, muffins and a newspaper

15 November 2013

St. Simon's Island

When we left the marina (located on Skidaway Island) the wind was not as strong but there was a 3 knot current to deal with. We made it out of the slip all right, thanks to a permanent slip holder who guided us out. Not so with our friends--they hit another sailboat, but fortunately the damage wasn't [...]

Catching Up

01 November 2013 | Southport NC
Partly cloudy, windy but warm and balmy
We are on Day 15. We have had good weather although it was cold for a few days early in the trip. We stayed warm at night with our propane heater. Since it was sunny during the day we were quite comfortable. And we were prepared with warm clothes. We especially enjoyed the leg down the Dismal Swamp Canal, as well has other canal and creeks. Our first night after leaving Portsmouth was at the Dismal Swamp Visitors Center. There were 13 boats rafted 2 or 3 across against the side of the canal. It took some maneuvering but everyone was very cooperative. We made many new friends while doing this, and we have seen many again as we continued the trip. The canal has two locks, one filling and one emptying. It takes about an hour to do this as you wait in the lock chamber--another chance to chat with other boaters. We thought the canal was one of the most interesting legs of our trip--very colorful vegetation. Our next stop was Elizabeth City NC where we tied up at the town dock. Very friendly and hospitable town; town people had a happy hour for boaters. The next day we motorsailed across the Albermarle Sound. This is supposed to be one of the harder legs of the trip, but we were fine. The weather was windy but we had the wind with us. We anchored that night at a protected anchorage on the Alligator River--beautiful sunset and brilliant stars. We left early the next morning for the Dowry Creek Marina off the the Pungo River; this leg was down the Alligator River/Pungo River Canal to the Pungo River. The weather was again cool but sunny. We saw several bald eagles, and two does swam across the canal behind our boat. It was good to spend the night in a marina so we could have electricity, take showers and do laundry. Early start again the next day with sunny weather. We had gone about ten miles when our engine died. Dick thought he knew what the problem was so tried to fix it. No luck, so we dropped the anchor so Puts 'n Calls, who are traveling with us, could tie up with us so Don could help. It took almost an hour and one/half but they got it fixed. We were on the Neuse River which is very wide so we weren't in a lot of traffic. We arrived at our anchorage for the night at 4:30 even with the delay. Another good anchorage with a nice sunset--red sky at night, sailors delight. The next day started out cloudy but soon became warm and sunny. We didn't need our cool weather clothes anymore. We proceeded down the Neuse River to Adams Creek to Morehead City where we stayed at a marina for the night. We really liked Adams Creek where we saw bald eagles, egrets, herons, and dolphins. Morehead City was quiet, no good restaurants near us. We did find a good pizzeria-- the pizza was great--especially since we were craving pizza. Had a short trip the next day, so had a later start--9:15. This point the ICW goes between the mainland and the barrier islands where there are many beach towns. There were many recreational fishing boats and people clamming. It was interesting to see the many houses on the mainland and houses and condos on the beach. We spent the night at Casper's Marina in Swansboro-- a lovely little coastal town. We had a great dinner at The Ice House, wahoo for Dick. First time we had seen wahoo on a menu. Dick and Don had a beer at a beer and wine shop while sitting on their porch overlooking the waterfront. People are friendly everywhere; talked to some kayakers there and saw them again at dinner. Left Swansboro at 9 headed for anchorage off Topsail Beach. Everyday brings something different; boats ahead of us were going aground where there was shoaling in the middle of the channel. We had no problems since the lead boats were on the radio guiding us through the trouble spots. We had many dolphins swimming along with us, and again there were many fishermen. We thought from the charts that it would be tricking getting into the anchorage and that there was only room for a couple of boats. We had no problem, and there were six boats plus the two of us. We were close enough to the ocean that we went to bed with the sound of the ocean. The next day we had two bridge openings to make so we had a 7:30 departure. The bridges were 5 miles apart; one opened on hour and half hour, the other only on the hour. Thanks to a current we easily made the first bridge, and then had an hour to the next bridge. We arrived in Southport, NC on the Cape Fear River at 3:15, and settled in to our marina. Southport is a quaint little town with many historical homes and huge live oaks. Southport has the most large live oaks of any southern town. We had to watch out for the many acorns that were falling off the trees. It was Halloween so the streets were full of trick or treaters. We had a lay day today so did laundry and boat projects. On to Myrtle Beach tomorrow.







Comments

About & Links