Arctic Tern

10 September 2014 | Mars Hill, NC
30 July 2014 | Lantana to Sarasota, FL
28 June 2014 | Mars Hill, NC
09 June 2014 | Lenox,Massachusetts
24 May 2014 | Mars Hill,NC
22 May 2014 | Bradenton, Florida
04 May 2014 | Bradenton, Florida
27 April 2014 | Grand Bahama Bank in 12 feet
25 April 2014 | Nassau, Bahamas
24 April 2014 | Warderick Wells
16 April 2014 | Conception Island
03 April 2014 | Luperon
29 March 2014 | Samana, Dominica Republic
28 March 2014 | Los Haitises national Park
27 March 2014 | Haitises National Park
26 March 2014 | Los Haitises National Park, DR
25 March 2014 | Samana, Dominican Republic
24 March 2014 | Samana, Dominica Republic
06 March 2014 | Bahia Almodovar

Rolling in Rodney Bay

07 May 2012 | Rodney Bay, St. Lucia
Devi
There was very little wind last night and the boats in the Rodney Bay anchorage turned sideways to the swell. We were sitting under a cell of low pressure and it was pouring buckets. The rolling started at dusk and we foolishly decided that we did not want to move to the north end of the anchorage where we might get some relief from the sideways rolling. The intense rolling last for about four hours and it got so bad that Hunter suggested that we pick up the anchor and go to sea and sail around all night. We heaved side to side and we heard things banging around that we have never heard before. We stuffed lockers with rags and pillows to keep bottles from breaking and damp the noise. We were worried about the weight of the dingy with the motor and gas can on the davits so during a lull (ha!) we donned our rain jackets and dropped the dingy and hoisted the motor and gas can. Shortly after that we began a slow turn towards shore where bounced gently with the swell on our stern.
The events of last night inspired me to share the Arctic Tern scale of rolling at Anchor. This was published in the Caribbean Compass a few months ago. For the record we experienced a full 10 on the scale.

1. Rock a bye Baby: Gentle movement that is comfortable and might even rock you to sleep. Don’t leave your wine glass untended.
2. Pesky: Periodic rolls that cause unmanned objects to unexpectedly fall onto cabin sole. A pesky roll can wake you up at night, but usually not keep you awake.
3. Annoying: Bottles start clinking. Objects roll off of un-fiddled spaces. You to walk into walls and lurch. Annoying rolls will wake you and might require minor changes to sleeping arrangements.
4. REALLY BAD: It is really noisy with stuff rattling and clinking. Unsecured objects become missiles. Sleeping arrangements must be re-arranged to across the boat or bodies need to be chocked. Misery and whining is permitted.
5. Untenable: this is a gunnel to gunnel roll and if you can go somewhere else you should. Either move the boat or leave the boat. Forget about cooking or reading. If you cannot escape just take drugs and go to sleep.
Comments
Vessel Name: Arctic Tern
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 45
Hailing Port: Valdez, Alaska
Crew: Hunter & Devi Sharp
About: Devi's evil twin- skippy

Migration of the Arctic Tern

Who: Hunter & Devi Sharp
Port: Valdez, Alaska