Arctic Tern

10 September 2014 | Mars Hill, NC
30 July 2014 | Lantana to Sarasota, FL
28 June 2014 | Mars Hill, NC
09 June 2014 | Lenox,Massachusetts
24 May 2014 | Mars Hill,NC
22 May 2014 | Bradenton, Florida
04 May 2014 | Bradenton, Florida
27 April 2014 | Grand Bahama Bank in 12 feet
25 April 2014 | Nassau, Bahamas
24 April 2014 | Warderick Wells
16 April 2014 | Conception Island
03 April 2014 | Luperon
29 March 2014 | Samana, Dominica Republic
28 March 2014 | Los Haitises national Park
27 March 2014 | Haitises National Park
26 March 2014 | Los Haitises National Park, DR
25 March 2014 | Samana, Dominican Republic
24 March 2014 | Samana, Dominica Republic
06 March 2014 | Bahia Almodovar

The Pitons

22 February 2010 | Harmony Beach, base of Petit piton
Devi
As you approach St. Lucia from the south two large cone shaped volcanic plugs rise from the azure and emerald sea. These spectacular features, Gros Piton and Petit Piton, are often used as an icon for St. Lucia; even the national beer is named Piton. The Pitons are part of a World Heritage site that also includes a coral reef and several other volcanic features. The Pitons begged to be hiked. Okay, for some of us the 2, 619" Gros Ption and the 2,461" Petit Piton were too much to resist.
On Saturday we (ourselves and Ann and Steve on Receta) engaged a guide (necessary because of the protected status) to join us in a hike of the Gros Piton. The hike starts at 600 feet in elevation and in two hours we climbed to 2,619 feet. The four mile trail gets a lot of use and is in very good condition. The rapid ascent is made by steep trail and in some places, very large steps. The climb was defiantly an aerobic workout. As we climbed the vegetation became luxuriant; the trees were festooned with epiphytes and vines. The views were magnificent. The Petit Piton beckoned us.
By the end of the walk downhill our quads were a bit quivery and knees a bit achy, but a few Advil and the fresh tuna that Chuck and Barb on Tusen Takk caught on the way north to St. Lucia gave us the fortitude to hike the Petit Piton on Sunday.
Petit Piton is the shorter than it larger sister by 158 feet but defiantly a more challenging hike. The trail is steep and much of two miles is done in "four wheel drive", hands grabbing on to roots and in places hanging onto the ropes that are setup to help the climber. This is not a hike for the fearful of heights. There are narrow ledges and places were you grab a rope to ascend a nearly vertical piece of rock. The views from the top were even more spectacular than the Gros Piton. This Photo is taken on the south side of Petit Piton with Gros Piton in the foreground and St. Vincent barely visible in the distance.

I am sitting in the cockpit trying to write this and have had four major interruptions. A ship with cargo bound to Haiti sunk somewhere in the south end of St. Lucia and one of the containers was towed ashore in the Harmony Beach area, where we are lying on a mooring. The fishing boats towed the container towards shore but after an hour of looting the container started floating right at us. We dropped the mooring, moved, and picked up another mooring... well the story goes on for a while, so I thin I will just end here and post the saga of cargo container later.
Comments
Vessel Name: Arctic Tern
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 45
Hailing Port: Valdez, Alaska
Crew: Hunter & Devi Sharp
About: Devi's evil twin- skippy

Migration of the Arctic Tern

Who: Hunter & Devi Sharp
Port: Valdez, Alaska