Arctic Tern

10 September 2014 | Mars Hill, NC
30 July 2014 | Lantana to Sarasota, FL
28 June 2014 | Mars Hill, NC
09 June 2014 | Lenox,Massachusetts
24 May 2014 | Mars Hill,NC
22 May 2014 | Bradenton, Florida
04 May 2014 | Bradenton, Florida
27 April 2014 | Grand Bahama Bank in 12 feet
25 April 2014 | Nassau, Bahamas
24 April 2014 | Warderick Wells
16 April 2014 | Conception Island
03 April 2014 | Luperon
29 March 2014 | Samana, Dominica Republic
28 March 2014 | Los Haitises national Park
27 March 2014 | Haitises National Park
26 March 2014 | Los Haitises National Park, DR
25 March 2014 | Samana, Dominican Republic
24 March 2014 | Samana, Dominica Republic
06 March 2014 | Bahia Almodovar

Steel drums and Angostura Bitters

04 September 2007 | Trinidad
Devi
We spent the today in the pursuit of tourism. We visited a steel drum "factory" and toured the Angostura Bitters and Rum factory.

The drum factory was a small business that afforded us an up close and personal view of the art and science of making steel drums. Trinidad is known for steel or pan drums, but this tradition started only after World War II when oil drums became available. The drum process starts with an oil drum that is cut to size. A larger drum yields a deeper note. A five pound hammer is used to beat the top of the drum into a concave shape. The drum is then tempered and chromed. A professional tuner will hammer deeper concave shapes to create notes and fine tune the drum. The drum is then ready for a steel band.

We also visited the Angostura Bitters and Fernando Rum factory. Rum factories are always fun and educational. Here is a bit of trivia. Most rum is aged in oak barrels that were first used for bourbon. Apparently bourbon must be aged in new oak casks so the used casks are dismantled and shipped to rum distilleries throughout the Caribbean.

Angostura Bitters formula was first compounded in 1824 by Dr. Johann Siegert, Surgeon-General in the army of the great liberator of South America, Sim�n Bolivar. Dr. Seigert's headquarters were in the port of Angostura, Venezuela, a city now known as Ciudad Bolivar. The doctor experimented for four years before finding the exact formula he was after to improve the appetites and well-being of his troops. Sailors putting into the port discovered the bitters and bought bottles to carry away with them. Soon the fame of "Angostura" bitters spread around the world.

The formula for the "bitters" is a big secret that is held by five individuals. The botanicals, (plant material) are combined in the "Secret Room" and then go through a grinder before the mix arrives into the factory. The plants materials are "shampooed" in alcohol and allowed to age for a few months. Angostura Bitters are said to be very good for upset stomachs and other ailments as well as a spice added to drinks and many foods.

Of course the tour ended with free samples of rum.
Comments
Vessel Name: Arctic Tern
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 45
Hailing Port: Valdez, Alaska
Crew: Hunter & Devi Sharp
About: Devi's evil twin- skippy

Migration of the Arctic Tern

Who: Hunter & Devi Sharp
Port: Valdez, Alaska