19 July 2017 | Rimouski
18 July 2017
17 July 2017
16 July 2017
15 July 2017
14 July 2017
13 July 2017
12 July 2017
11 July 2017
10 July 2017
09 July 2017 | Tadoussac
08 July 2017 | Cap a L'Aigle Qc
06 July 2017
03 July 2017 | Bassin Louise Quebec City
02 July 2017 | Quebec Yacht Club
01 July 2017
19 June 2017
19 June 2017
18 June 2017

Refueling the boat and us!

19 July 2017 | Rimouski
Note that it is still not good to post photos as the internet sucks or is non existent. Today started a bit later as we only had to do 30 miles to get to Rimouski. They were announcing bad thunderstorms in the afternoon so we were happy to get to harbour before they hit. The 30 miles in the bank helped a lot. No speed records today. The wind was on our nose and only blowing 10 knots. It was a bit of a bumpy ride and we were able to maintain 5-6 knots motoring. We tried putting up both sails but the angle was too tight. We were going with the tide and not profiting from it. These tides can be crazy sometimes and hard to figure out day to day. They do not do exactly what the chart tables say. We arrived at Rimouski just before 1100am and headed straight to the fuel dock. We took on 82 liters of diesel. That was for 214 miles. So that means that was consumption from Gaspe as we filled up there before departing. The diesel tank holds about 160 liters and we are carrying 40 liters in jerry cans. We quickly tucked Ardbeg into the dock and made a bee line to the restaurant before even showering. We had been four days without showering. I had eggs benedict with smoked salmon and Rob had an omelette.
So next was the showers. After that we headed into the city for provisioning. We will have four days at anchor without hitting a dock, so to speak, so we had to make sure all we needed was bought. Things worked and we made it back to the boat before the storm hit. Rimouski is actually in drought conditions and have had no rain this summer. I guess central Canada has been draining the clouds before they get here. During the storm we defrosted the fridge/freezer as it was icing up. For dinner we will do Cage aux Sports for some junk food. Believe it or not no junk food from Quebec City to Gaspe and back so far. Hopefully the rain will last long enough to get some of the salt off the boat. It gets in everywhere. At Cap Chat we picked up some moths. First bugs of the trip. Here in Rimouski there are house flies, so there is a sticky roll of fly paper hanging in the main salon to ward off unlucky flies. Tomorrow is an easy 13 mile trek to BIC National Park where we will anchor for a day to enjoy the scenery.

Making a Run for It

18 July 2017
Today started as usual at 400am. This is getting to be a broken record! The goal for the day was Matane at 35 miles. We do not have favourable tides so we decided to shorten the hops. It was a nice morning weather wise and we saw whales and seals. For some reason we made great time and were at Matane by 1130am. While going against the tide, we had wind on the beam and put up both sails. That increased the speed over ground to about 7 knots while still motoring as well. I was not keen to stay in Matane so out came the maps. 30 miles up river looked like a well protected cove to anchor in at Metis sur Mer. After some calculating we decided to make a run for it. We continued to make great time and arrived at about 330PM. That bought us 30 miles in the bank. What a pretty spot, and again, we were all alone there. There is a picturesque lighthouse on the point and the bay, which is large. We anchored right at low tide in 12 feet of water and relaxed. Tried some fishing to no avail, with worms or lures. Dinner was steak brochettes and our traditional sliced potatoes, onion and broccoli done in tin foil on the BBQ. The wine was sangria as we were down to the last bottle. (Good job Rimouski is tomorrow to stock up).It was a beautiful evening with lots of photos taken of the sun setting behind the lighthouse. I actually was awake at 900pm to see the first stars. I was surprised that night we were shaken by the catabolic winds from shore. Over 20 knots of wind. Luckily we had deployed both anchors and they did their job.

Cap Chat (Uphill)

17 July 2017
Today started at the usual 400am. Once we got the anchors up and coffee made we were on our way. We had 42 miles to do with only 3 hours of favourable tide. The wind was light on the stern. We flew the jib only and it appeared to give us an extra knot motor sailing. We run at 1900 RPM as the boat seems to like that and the thermostat keeps the engine at 180F all day. We were maintaining about 5.5 knots all morning and kept expecting to lose speed when the tide changed against us. A very weird thing happened. The SOG increased to over boat speed and we were moving along in the low 6 knot range. Neither of us could explain it however we rolled into Cap Chat at lunch time still over 6 SOG against the tide. Wind continued to be very light. Who knows what happened, we prey it will happen again tomorrow where we have between 40-70 miles to do depending on the port we select. Saw more whales, right beside the boat and as usual seals keep popping up in the weirdest places. It was a truly sunny day and not as cold as the day before so chilly weather gear was taken off at docking and the shorts and tee shirt look prevailed. We lounged around for the afternoon, went for a walk around the village and generally tried to catch up on sleep. Dinner of home made spaghetti on the boat tonight. Another 400am start tomorrow.

Mont Louis ( Uphill)

16 July 2017
We woke at 400am and were on the water by 445am. Now begins the long trek home to Kingston. People will remember that we flew from Kingston down river due to currents and very high-water levels. Well now the reverse kicks in. We have to go against what made us fly in the other direction. The other aspect is that we are bette to travel when the tides are in a favourable direction or we will be beating our heads against the wall so to speak. It was cool and serene on the water. We were the only ones out for as far as we could see. The AIS told us there were no boats for 25 miles from us.
The dawn was calm and cold. Long Johns were in order. We put up the main sail to help push us along. We had tide in our favour for 3 hours only. 58 miles to the next port. We then tried to put up the small jib. The problem we found was the angle of sail required us to deviate too far from the straight line so down it came. The main was giving us some push though and we could keep close ( 1 mile) to the straight line going against the tide motoring. We saw boat speed of 5.5 knots at the same time we were seeing 3.6 knots SOG ( spped over ground). Not encouraging and made it hard to climb the ladder up the coast. Plus as the coast rounded, the wind rounded with the coast and stayed on the nose all day. We finally made it 13.5 hours after leaving Riviere au Renard. We anchored at Mont Louis again. We knew it so it was easy to anchor into. Drinks, smoked meat for dinner and straight to bed after the sunset. During the night we had fairly strong catabolic winds however the two anchors deployed performed as they should. We did not move except for bouncing in the head on wind from the mountains. At least we saw our first large whales this day.

Repairs Day

15 July 2017
Most of the day was spent fixing unimportant things on the boat and changing out the large genoa for a smaller jib. We were clearly overpowered in those 20-35 knot winds previously. Thought was the little jib would cut thru the wind and allow tacks to be at less angle. After lunch we went for a drive around Forillon National Park. It was between us and the town of Gaspe. As it is Canada 150 this year and Parks gave out free passes to all National Parks, we figured the place would be jammed. In fact, it seemed empty. I am sure for anyone else; the vistas would be beautiful in the park. For us we just completed 300 miles of the same thing with a view from the water, so it was not very interesting for us. Anyway, we did it. Dinner back on the boat to prepare for a 400am wake up call.

Gaspe & Perce

14 July 2017
So we spent the two days visiting. Percé is beautiful. We said over and over how smart we were not to try to sail around the corner. On Friday, we drove to Percé before lunch. Then we hiked to to the rock as it was low tide. Dangerous walking on the strewn boulders but worth the effort. Percé is the first place we have seen any tourists since we left Quebec City. We had a light lunch on a cliff overlooking the rock. Charming and the food was good. So we headed back to the boat. On the way, we passed a lobster wholesaler, so in we go and walked out with 2 -3 lb each fresh lobster for dinner. So next task was to find white wine to go with the lobsters. Tick that box, always easy in Quebec.

At dinner we decided not to eat them on the boat or the boat would reek of lobster juice for days. So we found a picnic table in from of the marina club house and dug in to our feast. There were two other guys there playing a guitar and trying to sing. We invited them to join us. One was a 65 year old Newfie fisherman who had fished all over the world. Accent, vocabulary and all, he was a riot. We also found out that he was a recipient of the medal of valour in Canada. The highest award a civilian can get. It was for rescuing 6 people off the ice flows in Labrador. The other fellow was also from the Rock (Newfoundland) and an ex soldier. He had been based in Kingston and we knew common people. He was one hell of a guitar player and about 300 lbs with a long pony tail and a biker jacket. A number of tattoos as well. They seemed to have a sizable stock of beer so the discussions went on for some hours. It was really fun to listen to Les tell his life stories. All true, verified by the other Newf.
Vessel Name: Ardbeg
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 375
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario
Ardbeg's Photos - Main
Random photos from Portsmouth to Isles de la Madeleine June-Aug 2017
10 Photos
Created 12 June 2017