Ardbeg

01 August 2017
31 July 2017
30 July 2017
27 July 2017
26 July 2017
24 July 2017
23 July 2017
23 July 2017
21 July 2017
20 July 2017
19 July 2017 | Rimouski
18 July 2017
17 July 2017
16 July 2017
15 July 2017
14 July 2017
13 July 2017
12 July 2017
11 July 2017

Day 2

19 June 2017
June 18, 2017 Sunday.
We stated the motor just before 600 HR. Mostly sunny and calm morning. We headed back to the Seaway and the runway into the American Locks. Each drop was about 36-38 feet. Arrived at the first lock and were promptly greeted and led in to the lock. We were told the previous day to arrive early to miss the commercial traffic, which has priority. At Canadian Locks, the dock crew throw you two lines and you hang on. At the American Locks, they have movable bollards that go up and down with the water level. Very cool and easy to use. See photo. Between locks it was about 2 N miles and we did the same thing at Snell Lock. As Snell Lock opened we were at the mercy of the warnings from the Seaway on currents coming from Cornwall Dam due to huge water release to relieve the water level on Lake Ontario. Never sensed any danger and not more current that the 1000 Islands. Anyway, we slid thru the two Indian Reservations, (Canadian and USA) quickly at about 10 knots SOG. There were a few miles to do before arriving at Lac St Francis. In the lake, we were surprised by the shallowness outside of the marked channel and stayed close. Certainly, sailing the west end of the lake would be treacherous with my 7-foot keel. It was hot, 30 deg C + and a wind picked up form the south. 10-18 knots. Thunder storms threatened but managed to miss us. We arrived at Valleyfield just after 1300 HR and missed the bridge lift scheduled at 1300PM. Next lift would be at 1500HR. So, we circled above the bridge for over an hour. A freighter showed up so the bridge had to lift. We talked to the Bridge Master and she gave us the option to go before the freighter or after, based upon safety. No choice for us, as soon as we got the green light, full speed ahead thru Valleyfield Bridge. Now it was a race to beat the freighter to the next lift Bridge, St Louis 4 nautical miles downstream. With the current, we were doing 8 Kn SOG so the freighter did not catch us and we did the same game going thru the 2nd bridge at full speed. In the runway to the Beauharnois Locks, we met and crossed an up bound ship as well as being chased by the downstream ship. We arrived at locks in first however a pleasure boat must give way to a commercial boat so we watched the downstream freighter crawl into the 1st lock. Meanwhile we could not find where to tie up for pleasure ships. Signed pointed in two different directions and the English was weak. We finally tied up with a 20-knot wind on my stern. We banged in. I found the phone to call lock master. Very rude and refused to speak English. So, we waited and waited. With our AIS we could see small boats coming up stream to the lock so we figured we would get on soon. Watched the signal lights to turn green then heard an announcement, only in French, to advance. It was a rough departure with the 20 knot tail wind and limited space. The Seaway is a Federal Government organization and we should be served in both languages. (Make a note for MP). Beauharnois is two large locks, close together both with 40 foot drops. We hung on for dear life during the first decent. The second went better. When the gates opened there was Lac St Louis and Montreal in front of us. I know this water, having sailed it for 10 years. Lac St Louis is currently 1.8 meters above chart datum. That pretty much covers my keel. To get out of the Seaway, we still had the shallow Windmill Point channel to navigate. Again with 20 knot wind pushing us from Port side. We made it thru OK although my heart did flutter when I saw 8 feet on the depth finder. As our destination, Pointe Claire Yacht Club ( I am member) was closed for the night, I decided to anchor at Dowker Island on the lee side out of the wind/rain as much as possible. Once anchored, showers were in order after the first beer. A decision was made to shower on the transom so the executive homes along the shore were treated to two nude guys on the transom showering. Lucky them! We were both so tired from the strenuous day sandwiches were for dinner. With beer and wine of course. We were treated to a very good fire works display from Baie d'Urfé. We both hit our beds quickly and did not wake for the storms during the night. Distanced covered Sunday 53 nautical miles with 5 major Seaway locks and two lift bridges to handle.

600HR photo heading back to Seaway from anchorage.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ardbeg
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 375
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario
Ardbeg's Photos - Main
Random photos from Portsmouth to Isles de la Madeleine June-Aug 2017
15 Photos
Created 12 June 2017