Ardbeg

01 August 2017
31 July 2017
30 July 2017
27 July 2017
26 July 2017
24 July 2017
23 July 2017
23 July 2017
21 July 2017
20 July 2017
19 July 2017 | Rimouski
18 July 2017
17 July 2017
16 July 2017
15 July 2017
14 July 2017
13 July 2017
12 July 2017
11 July 2017

The Run Home

01 August 2017
We woke up at 530am thinking of a big day to make the run to Kingston. Going outside, we noticed that the dew all over the boat was dyed green. It must have been something to do with the bridge at Prescott that we anchored just on the lee of. Anyway, got the anchor up and headed out before making coffee and breakfast. It was a cool morning and there was a very heavy fog. Little did we know the fog would only get worse instead of burning off. We decided to go anyway and motor by the instruments. The good thing about a heavy fog is that the large vessels stop to wait it out. So the only problem would be small fishing boats and the occasional tourist out on the water. They should be picked up on the radar if they do not have AIS. The current was running at between 1-2 knots against us. We checked where all the big boats were on the AIS and we knew we had a couple to pass before Brockville. The running and steaming lights were on. We soon picked up a boat on radar. It turned out to be a sailboat without AIS. He followed us for some time, I guess assuming we had equipment and he was safer following us. The fog became so thick we could barely see 50 meters. Before we knew it, we were offshore from Brockville. Brockville is complex with obstacles and also the Brockville Narrows. We could see a number of boats in harbour on the AIS. I was worried about attempting the narrows in such heavy fog however nothing was moving so it was a good shot to do. They are so narrow that only one freighter can pass thru at a time. Taylor went up on the bow to look for buoys and islands that are all over the place. The current was strong going thru however we made it without problem until after an hour I got turned in the fog and did not trust the instruments. I did a 360 deg turn to get my bearings back. Now a decision had to be made in the heavy fog. American channel ( big ships) or the smaller Canadian channel thru the 1000 Islands. We opted for the American channel thinking it was better marked and wider. Eventually we passed Jordstat Castle at about 200 meters to the starboard side. It is a large structure on a small island. We could not see it in the fog. We were now less than two hours from the narrow passage at Alexandria Bay NY. I was debating trying that in heavy fog knowing there could be a lot of small boat traffic in that area. As we reached the end of Grenadier Island, the fog began to lift. Soon as it did there were pleasure boats all over the place. Also the large tourist boats going to Boldt Castle began to operate. Each of them is usually loaded with a couple of hundred tourists leaning on the rails looking at the wonders of the 1000 Islands. At the same time we began to hit the currents of the A Bay channel. They were running at about 3-4 knots. I upped the motor to 2500 rpms to make the passage easier. Wake from other boats was everywhere making the water choppy. As the fog had lifted to a sunny day we saw all the beautiful vistas and homes thru the islands. It is really quite a sight for those who have not seen it. Apart from the tour boats that do not seem to understand the rules of the road. With the lifting of the fog at noon, the freighters and passenger ships began to move. Thru the narrows we encountered two passenger ships and two freighters. Easy to manage except for trying to anticipate all the idiots on the water on pontoon boats and sea doos. They do not tend to understand the rules of the road and are difficult to anticipate in the narrow waters when tour boats and freighters are all over the place. We made it under the 1000 Islands bridge just after 100PM and I began to feel like being at home. We had an hour run to Clayton NY and then another hour to Quebec Head (Wolfe Island). It was now a beautiful sunny day with a breeze from the south west. We lined up to make the narrow shallow channel of the Quebec Head. Having been thru there last fall, I knew the depths to be about 20 feet and not to deviate from the channel. There are also 1000 islands just below the surface. This year the water was 27-28 feet deep all along the cut. That is indicative of the historically high water levels of lake Ontario this year. Once thru the cut we aimed the boat toward Kingston and traversed the north shore of Wolfe Island. This is like home to me I have sailed it so many times. We tried to sail for a while however, as with the whole trip up river, the wind was on the nose. So we motored and knew we were less than 3 hours from home. It is no wonder I love Kingston, the water is so beautiful. Taylor and I enjoyed a lunch for the last meal and then I took a shower below, wanting to not smell bad upon arrival. We estimated arrival at about 530 PM. Nothing but pleasure boats in this stretch of water. No tour boats and no freighters. The sun was bright, the water clear and it was a perfect home coming. We soon saw the skyline of Kingston in the distance. Then Taylor was excited to see the campus of Royal Military College. Only one more obstacle, the Wolfe Island Ferry. Our speed had picked up with less current and I was not about to back off on the engine at this point. We decided to spend the night at Kingston Yacht Club as it is near the condo. Also Taylor raced out of that club for a few years. Their dock fingers are too small for my boat but I did not care. We docked at 505 PM and the journey was over. Arrival on August 1st after leaving Kingston on June 17th. I will write a follow up for thoughts on the whole journey after a couple days of getting used to being on land. Dockage meant I took a good belt out of my bottle of Ardbeg on board the whole trip. Tonight was not the time to think of the massive clean up needed to get the boat back in shape for Lake sailing.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ardbeg
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 375
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario
Ardbeg's Photos - Main
Random photos from Portsmouth to Isles de la Madeleine June-Aug 2017
15 Photos
Created 12 June 2017