Sail-about the World

Hallberg-Rassy 53 "Arielle" with her crew Bassam and Rachael Hammoudeh sailing adventures.

05 October 2018 | West Coast of Sweden
03 September 2017 | Oxford, MD: Flatty Cove
30 May 2017 | Annapolis to Bermuda and back
28 May 2017 | Annapolis, MD, USA
17 May 2017 | Bermuda
17 May 2017 | Bermuda
11 May 2017 | Navy Yard, Bermuda
08 May 2017 | St. George's Harbor
06 May 2017 | Bermuda St George
06 May 2017 | Bermuda, St. George's
02 May 2017 | Only 113 NM from Bermuda
30 April 2017 | North Atlantic Ocean
29 April 2017 | Fishing Bay
28 April 2017 | Cove Pt.
28 April 2017 | Cove Pt
18 March 2017 | Annapolis Landing Marina
13 March 2017 | Annapolis, MD
23 February 2017 | Annapolis to Maine USA
07 February 2017 | Highlights of our 2016 Maine Cruise
21 January 2014 | Chesapeake Bay

The Off-Shore Route from Annapolis to Maine

23 February 2017 | Annapolis to Maine USA
We had spent most of the past three years since October 2013 upgrading and outfitting our sailboat for a long range cruising dream. We needed a break to actually use and enjoy our boat. So it was time to actually do some cruising as our reward for all the effort we had invested on what at times seemed an endless never ending to do list of boat things.

As Annapolis sailors we had a limited vacation time window of three to four weeks for this summer cruise. This limited our off shore options available. We thought about a cruise to Bermuda as one option. It would fit nicely in a three week vacation time frame in July. The prospect of being truly off shore crossing the Atlantic towards Bermuda was too ambitious for our inexperienced crew and newly installed boat systems.

We began to look northward since south towards Caribbean could not be done in our small time frame. The idea of a Northeast sail to Nova Scotia began to look possible. The distance and time frame works for our four week vacation duration. The challenge would be weather and fog in July in Nova Scotia. Best time for Nova Scotia is August and September rather than early summer. We finally settled on a compromise idea of an off shore route to Mount Desert Island, Maine. It would provide the distance challenge without needing to check in into a foreign port.

The overall distance from Annapolis to Northeast Harbor, Mount Desert Island is approximately 650 nautical miles. A week or less passage would be a good boat and crew experience to have. Cruise planning started in earnest once the destination was selected.

The out bound leg was divided into three portions. The first portion was Annapolis to rounding Cape May, then second would be Cape May to rounding Nantucket Shoals, then third would be Nantucket Shoals to Northeast Harbor, Maine.

Annapolis to rounding Cape May:
We planned for a 14 to 18 hours for this portion. The key planning factors were what time to leave Back Creek, what time we would exit the CD canal, what the tidal currents would be doing in CD and Delaware Bay, and finally what time would we be rounding Cape May. Delaware River is a funnel that starts narrow and widens as we continue South bond. It turns out that the most critical factor is slack or favorable tide as we exited the CD canal into Delaware River. Having opposing tide current in upper Chesapeake and lower Delaware only reduced our over speed by a knot. The situation we wanted to avoid was strong tidal current and opposing wind creating rough sea conditions in the upper Delaware River. The tide tables indicated that 12 noon to 1 PM would be the ideal time to exit the CD canal and turn south the Delaware River.
Cape May to rounding Nantucket Shoals:
Once we rounded Cape May we would be heading Northeast off shore towards Nantucket Shoals. We selected the Nantucket Shoals NOAA Data Lighted Buoy 44008 (40 30.310 N, 69 14.288 W) as the waypoint to keep to port. This is approximately 30 nautical miles from the shoals providing a safe distance in 200 plus deep water. This buoy also marks the entrance to traffic separation zone for commercial traffic heading to or from New York.

Nantucket Shoals to Northeast Harbor:
Once we reached the Data Bouy we turned North midway between Cape Cod bay to our port and Georges Bank to our starboard. This third portion of the planned route would be sufficiently off shore in the Gulf of Maine to avoid most navigation concerns until approaching Mount Desert Island.

6 AM July 6:
With best of intentions to be underway by 5 AM we finally were leaving our slip in Back Creek by 6 AM. Conditions were benign with a cool morning temperature and very light variable wind. We headed towards the Bay Bridge and entrance of the CD canal in upper Bay. The Chesapeake Bay was quiet with little traffic for a Wednesday. We made excellent time motoring up the Bay and through the CD canal exiting as planned just after noon. With the favorable tide in Delaware River we received a speed boost transiting towards Cape May. Weather and sea conditions remained very calm and mostly benign as forecast predicted allowing us to motor-sail this portion of the trip.

We rounded Cape May and the Delaware Bay as the sun was setting behind us. The Atlantic was calm and winds light as we watched a magical sunset pointing northeast towards the Nantucket Shoals Data Buoy waypoint.

July 7:
We were expecting easterly or southeasterly winds to materialize any time now. However, light and variable winds continued the second day as the Jersey shore began to fade from our view on the horizon. Even though we were disappointed with less than ideal sailing conditions, we were also very grateful for the calm and gentle conditions for or maiden off shore trip. We passed the Nantucket Shoal Data Buoy just past midnight. We were pleasantly surprised to have very light commercial traffic as we passed New York. Our memorable moment was dolphins playing in our bow wave for 30 minutes. Nothing can prepare you for the sheer joy this experience can provide and its lasting effect.

July 8:
Our heading was mostly north as we moved past Cape Cod on our port. The weather began to change on the third day. One of the weather models during planning had predicted 15-20 knots north-northeasterly winds while the other three computer models predicted more favorable northwesterly winds. As the early morning light began to reveal the dark Atlantic ahead of us, dense fog accompanied by rain greeted us. Then lumpy waves arrived to the party to add challenge to our character building day. By mid-morning, we were double reefed hard and bashing into the seas steering as close to our planned route as we can. We had hoped the wind would veer and we would see what the other weather models had predicted. Conditions did not abate until midnight.

July 9:
The morning fog welcomed calmer conditions. We were grateful for it even though favorable sailing winds had not materialized. By mid-morning the fog lifted and we began to our approach to Mount Desert Island. We entered Northeast Harbor at noon of that day. Passage time was a respectable 3.5 days.

Our Lessons Learned
• Having AIS receiver to communicate with all commercial and fishing traffic was essential for safety and crew piece of mind. This can't be over emphasized. It is very comforting to be able to hail vessels by name and discuss crossing plans.
• Having one of four computer weather models indicate none favorable weather is too high of a risk for off shore sailing. Had we waited for the weather window the following week, we would have had a wonderful sail all the way.
• The off shore route could have been modified to transit the Cape Cod Canal rather than round the Nantucket Shoals if weather window is less than ideal to allow a stopover if needed for weather to change.
• Gore-Tex foul weather gear was essential. Don't forget about water proof gloves, sea boots and waterproof socks. Keeping feet and hands dry and warm is critical.

Key Way Points Used for route planning:
Rounding Cape May to turn NE
(38 50.360 N, 74 35.151 W)

Rounding Nantucket Shoals to turn N
(40 25.481 N, 69 1.996 W)

Great Duck Island Light approaching Mount Desert Island
(44 8.512 N, 68 14.756 W)
Comments
Vessel Name: Arielle
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg-Rassy HR53
Hailing Port: Annapolis, MD
Crew: Bassam & Rachael Hammoudeh
About: Sail-About adventures on the good ship Arielle.
Arielle's Photos - Main
July 2018
41 Photos
Created 5 October 2018
Summer 2018 cruise
28 Photos
Created 5 October 2018
5 Photos
Created 3 September 2017
3 Photos
Created 3 September 2017
Americ's Cub Village
21 Photos
Created 11 May 2017
2 Photos
Created 8 May 2017
28 Photos
Created 8 May 2017
11 Photos
Created 6 May 2017
Installing 600 Watt of thin film panels on top of bimini.
5 Photos
Created 18 March 2017
17 Photos
Created 13 March 2017
Annapolis to Mount Desert Island Maine.
18 Photos
Created 13 March 2017