Arkaydes

14 May 2014 | Tipplers Resort, Sth Stradbroke Island
17 November 2013
03 November 2013 | Whitsusndays
26 August 2013 | Hinchinbrook to Whitsundays
04 August 2013 | Orpheus Island
27 July 2013 | Horseshoe Bay Magnetic Island
24 July 2013 | Enroute to Magnetic Island
13 July 2013 | Double Bay East
06 July 2013 | Stonehaven Beach
17 June 2013 | Stonehaven, The Whitsundays
11 June 2013 | Airlie Beach
06 June 2013 | Cid Harbour Whitsundays
24 May 2013 | Rosslyn Bay
20 May 2013 | Pancake Creek
17 May 2013 | Bundaberg
15 May 2013 | Garry's Anchorage, Great Sandy Straits
13 May 2013 | Maloolaba
13 May 2013 | Tangalooma Moreton Bay
05 May 2013 | Canaipa Passage
03 May 2013 | Tippler's Passage

The Tangalooma Tango

13 May 2013 | Tangalooma Moreton Bay
Val and Rick
After a few hours motor sail we arrived at Tangalooma and sort anchorage inside the wrecks at the northern end of the resort. The current was running very strongly and combined with the wind, made the anchorage untenable for us. The anchorage seems narrower than it was in 2011. We proceeded to the southern end of the resort to anchor in the same area we had seen a cruiser when we first came in. The water was crystal clear with a lovely sandy bottom and while there was any east in the wind, it was quite protected although a little rolly. Another cat joined us later in the afternoon. And then the breeze backed around to the south and south south west. This allowed the small swell to wrap around the point and hit us beam on. Things became uncomfortable especially at tide change and a most uncomfortable night was had by all. The next morning we decided that Tangalooma was not a good place to be and we departed and hour and a half earlier than anticipated for Mooloolaba.

We needed to travel in or beside the major shipping lanes as Moreton Bay is such a shoal infested area and consequently encountered a procession of tankers and container vessels departing Brisbane. We managed to meet most of them on the narrowest crossover, such fun.

Because of our early departure we didn't need a lot of boat speed to reach Maloolaba at a suitable tide. We spent the whole trip headsail reaching with a severely reefed headsail and still going too fast because of the current and following sea, a very frustrating and uncomfortable situation. We arrived in Maloolaba 2 hours early and crossed the bar at the bottom of a rising tide with no problems. We had organised a berth at the Maloolaba Marina intending to stay 1 or 2 nights. The weather had other ideas forcing us to stay 6 nights.
Comments
Vessel Name: Arkaydes
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Pittwater, New South Wales
Crew: Rick, Val and Tiger
About: Tiger has as many legs as Rick and Val combined but will not help sail the boat, he won't even stand the dog watch! He refuses point blank to help out with the Cat!

Who: Rick, Val and Tiger
Port: Pittwater, New South Wales