Arkaydes

14 May 2014 | Tipplers Resort, Sth Stradbroke Island
17 November 2013
03 November 2013 | Whitsusndays
26 August 2013 | Hinchinbrook to Whitsundays
04 August 2013 | Orpheus Island
27 July 2013 | Horseshoe Bay Magnetic Island
24 July 2013 | Enroute to Magnetic Island
13 July 2013 | Double Bay East
06 July 2013 | Stonehaven Beach
17 June 2013 | Stonehaven, The Whitsundays
11 June 2013 | Airlie Beach
06 June 2013 | Cid Harbour Whitsundays
24 May 2013 | Rosslyn Bay
20 May 2013 | Pancake Creek
17 May 2013 | Bundaberg
15 May 2013 | Garry's Anchorage, Great Sandy Straits
13 May 2013 | Maloolaba
13 May 2013 | Tangalooma Moreton Bay
05 May 2013 | Canaipa Passage
03 May 2013 | Tippler's Passage

The Long Way Home

17 November 2013
Val & Rick
After an early start from Port of Airlie Marina we had a fast trip south to Goldsmith Island, assisted by 3.5 knots of current. The northern side of this island is beautiful, a lovely sandy beach and clear water. We had a walk & swim with our travelling companions from Duet and Montage. The next morning we travelled 20nm to Port Newry, which is 20 miles north of Mackay and a very protected anchorage. Here we stayed for 4 nights until the southerly had passed through.
We enjoyed the sights of Pt Newry including the old resort which was closed many years ago and now managed by National Parks but not as a resort. It is still a great camping area for locals with the nearest town being Seaforth accessed via Victor Creek.
On the Sunday morning our fearless leader and travelling companion, David from Duet decided he needed a Sunday paper so we should make our way to Victor Creek and the general store to obtain same. After a 15 minute bash across Newry Harbour to Victor Creek we asked local fishermen "how far to the store?", the answer being about 2 km, not far at all. We can't give you a lift as the local coppers are around, 6 adults and 2 dogs wouldn't be a good look in the back of the ute. Off we trooped in the warm late morning sun. Another friendly local then advised of a short cut along the beach, unfortunately he neglected to inform us about the creek crossing the beach and with the incoming tide we had to wade through waist high water to get to the town.
Eventually we arrived at downtown Seaforth very hot and more than a little bothered. Newspapers were purchased along with several icecreams and the trek back to the dinghies started. The first sign out of town informed us it was only 4.2 km to the boat ramp! Never trust a local Queenslander with directions. The trip back to the boats in the dinghies resembled a surf lifesaving RIB carnival as the incoming tide against wind and swell proved to be an extremely rough passage, definitely exciting. One lunch time we had a lovely barbecue ashore in the remains of an old beachside bar.
Unfortunately our travelling companions were only travelling as far as the Sunshine Coast and were happy to cover 20-30 miles per leg, far too slow for us as we wanted to be back in Pittwater by December so regretfully we parted company. We left Pt Newry at 5am to travel to Rosslyn Bay Yeppoon a journey of 180 miles which took us 28 hours. We caught a northern blue fin tuna off Prudhoe Island, very exciting. We spent 3 days in the marina at Rosslyn Bay before departing to Fishermans Beach on Great Keppel Island, what a beautiful spot. We walked along the beach and checked out the now backpackers resort.
Next stop was Pancake Creek, a 9 hour trip and then on to Bundaberg in 10-15 knots of NE breeze, an 8 hour run. Next morning we departed Bundaberg at 6am for Hervey Bay, arriving at the marina in Urangan at 1pm. Here we stayed for 2 nights to sit out strong north westers followed by a huge southerly. Our next stop was South West Cliffs midway along Fraser Island. Another early start next day to negotiate Sheridan Flats on the high tide and the rest of the Great Sandy Straits with the intention of stopping at Snapper Creek in Tin Can Bay. There being no reasonable places to anchor, we moved back out to Pelican Bay at Inskip Point, the departure point for Wide Bay Bar. The following morning, Nov 2nd we crossed Wide Bay Bar on the high tide with 19 other boats on route to Mooloolaba. The bar was very well behaved.
Five nights were spent at the marina in Mooloolaba sitting out yet more SE winds. Mooloolaba is a lovely spot and on our last night we ate at a great restaurant called "Fish on Parkyn", the fish was superb.
Our next leg was another big one departing Mooloolaba at 6am and arriving at Yamba at 9am the following day. We enjoyed a few knots of current and consequently had to slow the boat down to enable us to arrive at Yamba on a rising tide with some light. We had good winds overnight and current, sailed through the night with a reefed main, the only complaint being it was an extremely dark night. The highlight of this leg was that we were joined by a pod of dolphins at 3am and the phosphorescents outlined the dolphins and their high speed antics beside the boat, truly an amazing sight.
Arkaydes has been antifouled in Yamba, had a new port prop installed, prop speed applied to legs and props and a new cover for the back wall of the cockpit made by Scooter Sails. We have found the marina staff and tradesmen of Yamba Marina to be extremely friendly and obliging and would recommend them to anyone.
We have been in Yamba 9 days and hope to have favourable weather to travel south in the next few days.
Comments
Vessel Name: Arkaydes
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 380 Catamaran
Hailing Port: Pittwater, New South Wales
Crew: Rick, Val and Tiger
About: Tiger has as many legs as Rick and Val combined but will not help sail the boat, he won't even stand the dog watch! He refuses point blank to help out with the Cat!

Who: Rick, Val and Tiger
Port: Pittwater, New South Wales