Arluk III

Vessel Name: Arluk III (Arluk the Inuit Eskimo name for Orca or killer whale)
Vessel Make/Model: Cabot 36
Hailing Port: Vancouver, British Columbia
Crew: Wayne Peters and Cyndie Koning
01 February 2017
29 January 2017 | Dock 7
25 January 2017 | Marina mazatlan
29 December 2015
27 December 2015
16 December 2015
13 December 2015 | Topolobampo
13 December 2015 | Copper canyon
13 December 2015 | On the train to copper canyon
08 December 2015 | Topolobampo
30 November 2015
28 November 2015
28 November 2015
24 November 2015 | La Paz, Mexico
09 November 2014 | Cabo San Lucas
25 October 2014 | San Diego
08 October 2014 | San Diego South Bay
04 October 2014 | Santa Barbara California
Recent Blog Posts
01 February 2017

Loving this beautiful city

Guadalajara has it all. Beautiful parks, an obvious appreciation for historical buildings, and a vibrant Mexican culture. The food is pretty interesting too! Much different than Mazatlan in every way. Tomorrrow we'll take the bus back to the boat.

29 January 2017 | Dock 7

Sunset

We're off to Guadalajara by bus for a few days. Dinner at one of our marina restaurants offered a spectacular sunset!

25 January 2017 | Marina mazatlan

A year and a bit later!

Hi everyone,

06 January 2016

A new year and so many new friends

Finally we have some internet-this is the first time I've tried to post something from the laptop on the boat. Life is so good in Mazatlan-we love the city and especially the people. Somehow cruising makes it possible to connect with people quickly. We know how to get about the town on the bus and where to eat great food and find great local ingredients. We've started to figure out where the good live music is and we're planning to go on the art walk on Friday. This is such a supportive friendly place to be. Every morning except Sundays I try to join the "walk"-about 5 km. So far all the folks we've met are Canadians, with at least 5 from Alberta! There are a surprising number of Edmonton registered boats here. Our current plan is to haul out here to have some bottom work done on the boat and to leave it in Mazatlan for the summer. I head back to Edmonton January 23-9 weeks passes quickly.

29 December 2015

Shrimp market

I think we'll barbecue the prawns we just bought at the shrimp market. We found the market by accident while on our way to find the amazing gelato that Dianne and I had the other day. There was 20 or 30 different kinds of shrimp and prawns. Life is good!

27 December 2015

Mazatlan

Ok. Time does give one a better perspective. But lousy internet remains frustrating! Wrote a long post while at the amazing coffee place called rici's Cafe but somehow it never uploaded so rewriting now. (Kind of)

We've come a long way!

09 November 2014 | Cabo San Lucas
Cyndie
We really should have tried harder to update the blog as we went along but there were some real challenges in getting internet for long enough to compose something. Even here in Cabo at the marina wifi is out because of hurricane Odile. We had a hot motor sail from San Diego to Bahia Tortuga. A 'rolling start' that never actually ended because of the lack of wind. Our watches of 3 hours on and 9 hours off worked well with the four of us so we kept that up for the whole trip. I had the best watch times but made up for it (I think) by doing a lot of the food preparation. We loved Bahia Tortuga-quaint, rugged little town that came alive for the 170 boats from the Baja Ha Ha. Diesel was delivered to the boat by Enrique, garbage guys came around (often), and the water taxi was a easily available for the days when landing a dinghy was challenging due to breaking swells on the beach. A huge beach party potluck was quite the experience-imaging putting more than 500 people through a potluck line! Zak hiked up the hill and took some amazing photos of the anchorage.

We ended up staying an extra day in Bahia Tortuga because there was still some uncertainty about what Hurricane Vance would do. About 30 boats decided to leave anyways and we caught up with them in Bahia Santa Maria. Richard, the grand Poobah on Profligate kept everyone informed and organized. It was quite remarkable that so many issues could dealt with amongst the 170 boats.

Leg 2 to Bahia Santa Maria was a great sail - lots of wind from the right direction. We headed off shore and travelled in a fairly straight line for Bahia Santa Maria rolling up over 200 miles under sail. Zak tuned the sails and kept us moving fast! We arrived in Bahia Santa Maria after sunrise (spectacular sunrises and sunsets on my watches). Endless beaches and just a few fishermens' huts. That night we had a another beach party with live music from a teen band. The next morning was an early start again to make up time so that everyone who had flights etc could get to Cabo on time. And the Baja haha loves to party so off we went to Squid Roe for old music and lots of dancing. Zak was up on centre stage dancing like only Zak can dance! No camera with me but I know hundreds of photos were taken so I'm sure someone will send me one! There were crowds watching from all levels! Lots of fun!

Yesterday was another beach party with awards for the rally and all kinds of other awards and the famous surf kissing contest. Sunday and we are having brunch and typing away at the restaurant. The Baja haha is over - what a great way to travel down the coast of the Baja! Lots of new friends and great memories. Looking forward to moving on again tomorrow.

Thanks to Les and Rick who helped get the boat to San Francisco and to Zak and Ron who crewed on the last three legs. Everything went so well on board with the four of us!

We've had a great time - it's actually hard to even remember what I do for work! Wish I was retired not! I really like the lifestyle, the heat, the wind, the friendliness of everyone around us.
Comments

About & Links