arrow heads south

16 October 2016 | Whitehall Bay, Annapolis, MD
11 October 2016 | Jackson Creek, Piankatank River, VA
09 October 2016 | Portsmouth, VA
05 October 2016 | Portsmouth, VA
02 October 2016 | Portsmouth, VA
29 September 2016 | Manteo, Roanoke Island, NC
28 September 2016 | Roanoke Island, NC
27 September 2016 | Little Alligator River, NC
23 September 2016 | Portsmouth, VA
22 September 2016 | Old Point Comfort, VA
21 September 2016 | Deltaville, VA
19 September 2016 | Deltaville, VA
18 September 2016 | Dymer Creek, VA
17 September 2016 | Reedville, VA
16 September 2016 | Solomons Island, MD
10 September 2016 | Baltimore, MD USA
13 May 2012 | Home port, Middle River, MD
08 May 2012 | Dymer Creek, VA
05 May 2012 | South Mills, NC
29 April 2012 | Carolina Beach, NC

Back to the warm

31 January 2012 | Canaveral Barge Canal
Our pretty, white, new alternator.

We flew back on 1/28 and have spent the last few days on engine upgrades, engine repairs, and provisioning. The upgrade comprises amping up to a 110 amp alternator with 'smart' external regulator. With the alternator off, it is easy to pull the heat exchanger tube bundle for cleaning (ultrasound) so we had this done, though the bundle was cleaner than expected. Possibly this is helped by the regular coolant changes by the Chief Mechanic (aka Captain). Unfortunately we found a small leak in the welding on the exhaust mixing elbow (don't ask) which had also been pulled for cleaning. The CM had believed this was a gasket leak that would be cured by nut tightening. New exhaust elbow.

The CM did the monkey work on the project - draining the seawater and coolant circuits, removing the elbow, general cleaning up - and a very capable technician handled the alternator install, regulator programming, and tube bundle.

Meanwhile the Chief Cook (aka Admiral) has been provisioning. The CC went through the local supermarket like locusts through a Kansas wheat field, only slower. Arrow is now loaded to the water line, including twenty-four (24) cans of, right, canned meat. We could feed a civil-war regiment on this and they would love it - two regiments if they were reb's.

Tomorrow, 2/1, we plan to return our rental car and pull out of our winter layover slip, with thanks to Acting Captain Tom for his watch. Depending on what time we leave, we might just motor a couple of miles east to the Banana River and anchor for the night with a view of the Port Canaveral cruise ships and the Kennedy Center launch facilities. Or we might resume our southward journey immediately, trying to finally decide whether to go to the Bahamas sooner, or later. Decisions, decisions. In any case we expect continuing beautiful weather... it's been 70's in the daytime, 60 at night.
Vessel Name: arrow
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 343
Hailing Port: Baltimore, MD
Crew: Jack and Terry
Extra: Me and my arrow. Straighter than narrow. Wherever we go, every one knows. It's me and my arrow. Me and my arrow. Taking the high road. Wherever we go, everyone knows. It's me and my arrow. (Harry Nilsson)

s/v arrow

Who: Jack and Terry
Port: Baltimore, MD