Windmills

07 June 2016 | Ocracoke Island, N.C.
06 June 2016
06 June 2016
01 June 2016 | River Dunes, N.C.
23 July 2015 | Manteo to New Bern
23 July 2015 | Manteo, N.C.
23 July 2015 | Manteo, N.C.
23 July 2015 | Manteo, N.C.
23 July 2015 | Manteo, N.C.
19 July 2015
18 July 2015 | Manteo, N.C.
03 July 2015 | Oriental, North Carolina
13 June 2015 | Ocracoke Island, North Carolina
05 June 2015
01 June 2015 | Ocracoke Island
14 May 2015 | Carolina Beach mooring field
18 February 2015
20 October 2013 | South Harbour Village Marina, Southport, N.C.

Sunday, Oct. 9, 2011, Annapolis, Md.

09 October 2011
A jumper....
We were awakened at four in the morning by a helicopter close overhead shining a search light into the water. Robert got up and looked out the companionway and Spa Creek Bridge was filled with fire engines and ambulances. We thought someone must fallen or jumped into the water. Robert turned on the VHF radio and about 4:20 a.m. we heard the Coast Guard announce that the "person in the water near Spa Creek Bridge" had been assisted. This morning one of the guys at the City Marina told Robert someone had jumped in the water and wouldn't answer his brother who was still on the bridge, so the brother called for help. The person in the water was fine.

Around the Americas
My second day at the boat show began with a film about a voyage around the Americas on a boat called Ocean Watch. The session was led by Cruising World Senior Editor Herb McCormick who used the session to introduce his book "One Island, One Ocean" about the voyage. Ocean Watch's voyage was the first continuous circumnavigation by sail of the American continents, which meant the boat passed through the Northwest Passage so ardently sought by early European explorers, including John Smith who explored the Chesapeake in 1608. It was a feat that could not have been accomplished then or even a couple of decades ago because polar ice extended too far south. But that ice is melting. They made the passage from west to east starting in Seattle, Wash. They also went around Cape Horn from east to west, in the direction that should have been against the prevailing winds. But the ocean gods smiled on them and gave them an easterly.

It was an epic voyage by already storied sailors made possible by Sailors for the Sea, founded by David Treadway and David Rockefeller Jr. The vessel was a 64-foot steel cutter. The core crew: photographer David Thoreson, first mate Dave Logan, writer Herb McCormick, skipper Mark Schrader and oceanographer Michael Reynolds. Sailor's for the Sea's mission hopes to convert sailors and other recreational boaters into stewards of the ocean and coastal waters, Rockefeller said in the introduction to "One Island, One Ocean." The Ocean Watch voyage furthered that goal by documenting the need for conservation and through taking advantage of opportunities to provide education, especially to young people, along the way.

One story from the voyage gave a telling insight into the consequences of melting ice. Ocean Watch was asked to deliver supplies to ornithologist George Divoky on Cooper Island, a tiny barrier island in the Beaufort Sea. McCormick and two other members of the crew went ashore for a visit. For 33 years, Divoky has spent each summer on Cooper studying guillemots (a species of seabird in the auk family, not members of a British rock band). From 1999 until 2002, Divoky told the Ocean Watch crew, he saw one polar bear on the island. Since 2002, they've been there every year.
"And last year, they were here every day for my last week on the island, a different bear every day," he said. The bears are starving because the seals on which they fed have disappeared along with the pack ice that Divoky could see from Cooper Island for most of the first 30 years he spent his summers there. The polar bears are coming to Cooper Island in search of food - and that would be the guillemots Divoky studies.
"I mean, people ask me if I believe in climate change," Divoky told McCormick. "And I say, 'No, but I believe in polar bears.' When I see a polar bear, I know that's a polar bear. But I also know I was out here for so long, and I didn't see polar bears. So, you now, something's going on."
The saddest images from the film and in "One Island, One Ocean" were of Peruvian beaches littered with trash and dead wildlife, apparently killed by the garbage, which was dumped off shore by incoming freighters to avoid paying the established fees to offload ashore, McCormick wrote.
When the film was over, I asked McCormick if they had done any research on how fast climate change was happening and whether there was anything we could do to change it, he said that's a really big question, telling me what I already should have known - such a question has no quick answer that could be given in the three minutes before the next presentation was scheduled to start.
Then he nailed it.
There are 8 billion people on the planet, he said.
"That's the thing nobody wants to talk about. There are too many damn people on this planet. Nobody wants to talk about it for a lot of different reasons.... We've got to figure that one out."
One Island, One Ocean
Around the Americas on You Tube
Herb McCormick blog
David Thoreson blog

A writing lesson

After McCormick's presentation, I stayed to hear Lin and Larry Pardey again. This time they were talking about adding to your cruising fund with writing and photos. Lin told this story about how she became a writer and about her one and only writing lesson. She and Larry were in Panama and she happened to read a magazine article that made her mad. It said people needed big boats to cruise, but that a few Spartan souls were cruising on 30-foot boats. She and Larry had been cruising on 24-foot Seraffyn for two years. She wrote a blistering letter to the editor saying there were plenty of small boats cruising. Three weeks later got a telegram from New York that said simply, "Prove it. Monk."

That was in the era when you only got telegrams when somebody died, she said. They didn't know anybody in New York and for a while they couldn't figure out what on earth the telegram was about. Finally, they realized it was from the magazine editor. With encouragement from Larry, she set about writing an article that would prove it. They were having dinner one night with a friend whose wife was the South American bureau chief for UPI. Sometime during the gathering, Larry said his wife was going to be a writer. The woman asked Lin if she'd like a private writing lesson. Lin said yes and went to visit the woman the next day. The woman sat her down with some paper and told her to write a story from the dinner the night before. An hour later, the woman came back and asked Lin to show her the story. She didn't read it, she just told Lin to go back and cut half of it out.

When she came back the next time, she asked Lin to show her the story. Then she told her she'd just learned the two most important lessons about writing. First, there's a story in everything, it's up to you to find it. Second, your words aren't precious, you can get rid of half of them. (I hear echoes from a previous lifetime...)

It was a great way to start a session filled with great information about writing better articles, taking better pictures and selling them to sailing magazines, by a couple who've written 11 books, in addition to the magazine articles, videos and DVDs they've produced.
Lin and Larry Pardey's books

...And a sailing lesson

I went from ways to make money to ways to get rid of a fair chunk of it. Don Street's session on offshore preparations reminded me of our need for a passive way to generate power - he's not much of one for running engines or generators.

He recommends at least two sea trials in 25 to 30 knot winds to test the integrity of the boat's rigging. We try really hard to avoid 25 to 30 knot winds. Seeking them out will require a whole new mindset.

Some of his recommendations went right over my head because I don't have enough experience, but some I think I understood:
*Take a good look at the boat's pumping capacity - 10 gallons a minute is not enough.
*Put a T-valve or a Y-valve on your engine's saltwater intake and run a hose into the bilge. If you get swamped and the pumps can't keep up, let the engine suck water from the bilge.
*Make sure your steering cables are not worn and that you have replacements and know how to install them.
*Install your emergency tiller and go out and sail dead downwind and see if you can steer with it. If not, go back to the drawing board.
*If you lose your rudder you should be able to get the boat into a harbor by using a drogue to steer or if sailing wing-on-wing, sheet a staysail dead downwind and the boat will wander 20 degrees or so, but will steer.
*Check your rigging very carefully and have a rigger go over it.
*If you have a sloop rig, have a removable staysail, don't depend on reducing the size of the roller-furling jib in heavy winds. The reduced jib is located too far forward and can cause the boat to be blown sideways when it comes out of a trough. A good proper double reefed main and a staysail will handle most blows.
*A heavy weather staysail sheet should be twice the length you need and looped through the sail's clew instead of tied on with a knot. Knots will hold if tied properly, but often aren't.
*A storm trysail track should always be on the port side of the mast.
*Make sure you have a preventer on your boom. He explained how to rig one, but I'm afraid he lost me. Robert explained to me how to do it later.

It's hard not to like a guy with Don Street's sense of humor even if he does make you feel out-of-your-league and not very bright to boot. I expect it might help if I read his books "The Ocean Sailing Yacht, vol.1" and "The Ocean Sailing Yacht, vol. 2" which he recommended with the caveat that new materials and technology have come online since they were published in the 1970s. They're out of print, but still available on Amazon. There may be new stuff out there, but in my limited experience (see blog entries on the shallop "Explorer") Don Street was right when he said there's nothing in yachting you can invent, it's all been invented.
The Ocean Sailing Yacht
Don Street's blog

A dingy traffic jam
I spent the remainder of my time at the show picking up LED lights and cleaning solution per Robert's orders. Then I sat on the dock waiting to be picked up and watched the dingy shuffle for a while.
We tried to go to a fundraiser where Lin and Larry Pardey were giving a slide presentation at the Annapolis Maritime Museum, but it was delayed because of the boat show and we wanted to get an early start for St. Michaels on Monday, so we went back to the boat. We were starving, so Robert made quesadillas and black beans. Yum. Then we walked downtown to get some eggs at the CVS, but they were sold out. That's OK. I love walking in Annapolis.



Comments
Vessel Name: Arwen
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol 29.9
Hailing Port: Oriental, NC
Crew: Robert Currie, Joy Franklin and Madison
Social:
Arwen's Photos - Main
Musicians and friends at Ocrafolk
29 Photos
Created 7 June 2016
25 Photos
Created 24 July 2015
Photos from Island Farm
12 Photos
Created 24 July 2015
Photos from the waterfront, Fort Raleigh and the Aquarium
22 Photos
Created 24 July 2015
Images from our stay in New Bern
33 Photos
Created 11 July 2015
While we were at Ocracoke in early June, we visited Portsmouth Island for the first time. The State of North Carolina purchased the island in the 1970s and deeded it to the Federal Government for inclusion in Cape Lookout National Seashore. But for more than 200 years, it was home to a coastal community. Some homes, the school and the Methodist Church still stand on the island which can be reached only by boat.
19 Photos
Created 5 July 2015
Images from the Croakerfest opening ceremonies, the Croakerfest parade and the July 4th fireworks in Oriental, one of a fairly dramatic lightning display we watched from the boatyard (rivaled the fireworks!), and one of an Oriental dragon (the town symbol) decked out for Independence Day. Fireworks photos by Robert.
32 Photos
Created 3 July 2015
8 Photos
Created 15 June 2015
Photos from the 16th Ocrafolk Music Festival
60 Photos
Created 9 June 2015
3 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
Dolphins, birds and a bobcat
11 Photos
Created 18 October 2013
9 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
19 Photos
Created 12 October 2013
5 Photos
Created 12 October 2013
11 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
A tour of Elizabeth II, a coastal American Indian village and an English settlement.
24 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
19 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
6 Photos
Created 7 October 2013
6 Photos
Created 7 October 2013
Among the big ships
20 Photos
Created 7 October 2013
The Coast Guard and the Virginia Aquarium Stranding Response Team rescue a young loggerhead with pneumonia
13 Photos
Created 4 October 2013
Of flying dinghies, nautical spiders and other miscellany
22 Photos
Created 4 October 2013
Photos from the annual general meeting of the North American Guild of Change Ringers in Hendersonville
44 Photos
Created 4 October 2013
Sunsets, sailboats and salty dogs
14 Photos
Created 20 September 2013
Taken Sept. 14 on the Chesapeake Bay between the mouth of the Severn River and the mouth of the Choptank River.
48 Photos
Created 20 September 2013
6 Photos
Created 20 September 2013
16 Photos
Created 20 September 2013
A town with lots of interesting buildings
19 Photos
Created 20 September 2013
Worton Creek to Harve de Grace, Md.
6 Photos
Created 8 September 2013
Images from a beautiful river
9 Photos
Created 8 September 2013
A charming small town
6 Photos
Created 8 September 2013
6 Photos
Created 3 September 2013
Images from the island
5 Photos
Created 3 September 2013
Scenes of the island from the water
10 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
Everything's just ducky
6 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
Oueen Anne County seat
9 Photos
Created 28 August 2013
A controversial party central
10 Photos
Created 28 August 2013
Scenes from Back Creek, Weems Creek and the Severn River
6 Photos
Created 28 August 2013
Images from the campus
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2013
The Names of Things - with apologies to my friend John Wood who wrote a wonderful book by that title.
6 Photos
Created 23 August 2013
Images from St. Michaels
6 Photos
Created 22 August 2013
Exploring Calvert Cliffs
5 Photos
Created 22 August 2013
Sea birds and good food
6 Photos
Created 22 August 2013
Getting ready to relaunch Arwen
7 Photos
Created 22 August 2013
19 Photos
Created 20 October 2011
13 Photos
Created 20 October 2011
12 Photos
Created 20 October 2011
28 Photos
Created 20 October 2011
29 Photos
Created 20 October 2011
35 Photos
Created 12 October 2011
19 Photos
Created 9 October 2011
26 Photos
Created 6 October 2011
11 Photos
Created 6 October 2011
26 Photos
Created 6 October 2011
10 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
26 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
50 Photos
Created 28 September 2011
75 Photos
Created 28 September 2011
15 Photos
Created 18 September 2011
7 Photos
Created 18 September 2011
23 Photos
Created 18 September 2011
25 Photos
Created 18 September 2011
33 Photos
Created 9 September 2011
22 Photos
Created 31 August 2011
11 Photos
Created 31 August 2011
22 Photos
Created 20 August 2011
16 Photos
Created 20 August 2011
20 Photos
Created 20 August 2011
28 Photos
Created 20 August 2011
28 Photos
Created 20 August 2011
50 Photos
Created 20 August 2011
47 Photos
Created 8 August 2011
24 Photos
Created 8 August 2011
46 Photos
Created 6 August 2011
19 Photos
Created 3 August 2011
59 Photos
Created 3 August 2011
16 Photos
Created 3 August 2011
20 Photos
Created 3 August 2011
20 Photos
Created 3 August 2011
28 Photos
Created 3 August 2011
20 Photos
Created 1 August 2011
27 Photos
Created 1 August 2011
32 Photos
Created 1 August 2011
15 Photos
Created 27 July 2011
19 Photos
Created 6 July 2011
21 Photos
Created 6 July 2011
18 Photos
Created 6 July 2011
25 Photos
Created 6 July 2011
8 Photos
Created 6 July 2011
21 Photos
Created 6 July 2011
39 Photos
Created 6 July 2011
13 Photos
Created 6 July 2011
Madison's life afloat
37 Photos
Created 3 July 2011
No Photos
Created 31 December 1969