Ashby Girl

31 March 2011
21 October 2010
20 August 2010
14 July 2010
20 June 2010
20 May 2010
11 January 2010
12 October 2009
30 August 2009
24 August 2009
12 July 2009
02 July 2009 | Photo of the many wind turbines you can see along the Atlantic Coast
16 June 2009
16 June 2009
02 June 2009
20 April 2009
24 February 2009
24 February 2009

FEBRUARY 2009

24 February 2009
The picture above shows the solar panels located on the gantry, also the container for the kedge anchor.

Well the date of 27th April is now approaching fast and we still have a fair bit to do. We started with a to do list of well over 3 pages long and this was just the major items. The list seemed to get longer as time went by, but now the list is moving in the right direction and we have just under 1 page left of things to do.

We initially decided against having Radar fitted but after speaking with other cruisers that have sailed the Med we decided to go ahead and have it fitted. The only thing now is we need to take a course to learn how to use it, which we are currently looking into. We also just had a new foresail made which is a heavy Gib sail, this is for bad weather, and it's a lot smaller then our existing foresail and is a lot less likely to tear under bad conditions. We are still plotting our course; trying to learn how to splice rope properly, have a ton of reading to get though on all different subjects from legal matters, formalities on entering ports to how our latest gadgets work.

Like most people we awoke one morning to about 6 inches of snow, this was brilliant because every thing came to a stand still and we were unable to go to work. We are now near the end of February and can not wait until Spring, we can then remove our tent cover from the back of the boat, and it always feels great to remove the tent as you know that the warmer weather is upon us. We are having a bit of a farewell bash for friends and family, this will be at the end of April at the Yacht Club.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ashby Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria
Hailing Port: Brighton
Crew: Captain Mike Baker & First mate Debbie Baker
About: Both Debbie & myself are currently in full time employment, live in a nice house, have lovely holidays in exotic countries, enjoy life to the full. By spring 2009 we hope to have learnt how to sail, sold up and set sail to live a life upon the high seas.
Extra: Yes your thinking, nothing new, loads of people have fulfilled their dreams. However we are not wealthy and we can only do this on a very tight budget.

ASHBY GIRL

Who: Captain Mike Baker & First mate Debbie Baker
Port: Brighton