Ashby Girl

31 March 2011
21 October 2010
20 August 2010
14 July 2010
20 June 2010
20 May 2010
11 January 2010
12 October 2009
30 August 2009
24 August 2009
12 July 2009
02 July 2009 | Photo of the many wind turbines you can see along the Atlantic Coast
16 June 2009
16 June 2009
02 June 2009
20 April 2009
24 February 2009
24 February 2009

NORTH SPAIN

02 July 2009 | Photo of the many wind turbines you can see along the Atlantic Coast
We left La Coruna on Wednesday 17th June after a 3 night stay. We headed down the coast to Camarinas. When we arrived the wind was picking up and over the following day this increased to 30 knots + in the marina. This meant that we could not get off our pontoon, so our stay in Camarinas was a bit longer then we had anticipated. Camarinas is very much a small fishing port with some shops and a few bars and restaurants. There are a few picturesque bays where you can anchor and this is an ideal and inexpensive place for a stopover, or even to spend a bit of time at anchor within a picturesque bay.

We left Camarinas on Monday 22nd June to head further down the coast to Bayona. The sail down was a bit rough with the wind directly on our nose, the scenery on the way was outstanding, a lot of people we have met say that this area is the best sailing area that they have ever sailed. Bayona marina is superb, the view from our berth is outstanding, the staff are very helpful and everything is here that is needed, this is a great place for a stopover and we are both a bit sad to be leaving but the weather is a bit unsettled at the moment so we have decided to go while we can. We spent two nights in the marina and the third night at anchor just outside the marina in the bay. We were both a bit apprehensive at first about anchoring overnight but once into it we both really enjoyed the experience and we will be anchoring whenever possible. When leaving in the morning Young Debs managed to get the electric cable for the remote control that operates the anchor completely tangled within the windless, this was corrected but only after causing more damage to an already shredded the cable. We are now leaving North Spain and heading for our next port which is Leixoes in Portugal.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ashby Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria
Hailing Port: Brighton
Crew: Captain Mike Baker & First mate Debbie Baker
About: Both Debbie & myself are currently in full time employment, live in a nice house, have lovely holidays in exotic countries, enjoy life to the full. By spring 2009 we hope to have learnt how to sail, sold up and set sail to live a life upon the high seas.
Extra: Yes your thinking, nothing new, loads of people have fulfilled their dreams. However we are not wealthy and we can only do this on a very tight budget.

ASHBY GIRL

Who: Captain Mike Baker & First mate Debbie Baker
Port: Brighton