Ashby Girl

31 March 2011
21 October 2010
20 August 2010
14 July 2010
20 June 2010
20 May 2010
11 January 2010
12 October 2009
30 August 2009
24 August 2009
12 July 2009
02 July 2009 | Photo of the many wind turbines you can see along the Atlantic Coast
16 June 2009
16 June 2009
02 June 2009
20 April 2009
24 February 2009
24 February 2009

SUMMER IN GREECE

21 October 2010
Young Debs, has finally learnt to row
SUMMER IN GREECE

Well we are both feeling a bit sad at the moment as a few days ago we arrived at our winter marina in Messolonghi, which now means that this is our home for the next 6 months and our summer has come to an end. We arrived here in Messolonghi a bit earlier than expected due to some bad weather affecting our area and also we were not sure if we would like it here, so there was always a chance if we were not satisfied with the marina we would then have time to move on and find an alternative winter marina, but after a few days of looking around the area we have decided that this will be the place for us this winter.

We first arrived in Greece on 11th June at a small island called Erikoussa, which is situated north of Corfu, then very slowly we worked our way south zig zagging between the small islands and mainland Greece. Come August we reached Nidri on the island of Lefkas where we have enjoyed many a good time and we know the area very well. On the way down we have met lots of people who have been cruising this area a lot longer than us and obviously know a lot of lovely bays which are not on the charts or in the pilot book. So after some tips we decided to head north again and revisit some of our favourite places that we have been to before and also visit some new bays that have been recommended to us. Around the beginning of October we then started heading south again gradually working our way towards Messolonghi. We were on the island of Kefalonia in the very popular town of Fiscardo where we decided that due to the bad weather approaching that now would be the best time to investigate our winter berth at Messolonghi, so from Fiscaredo we had a couple of days in Sami and then headed to Messolonghi. It would probably have been a good idea to have left a day earlier as our trip from Sami to Messolonghi was very rough and due to the conditions of the sea it seemed to take forever. We do love it here in Greece, but since our last visit 5 years ago we are really noticing the changes. All prices have increased which is understandable, but to the extent that a lot of the cruisers we have met that have been here for many years are now moving on to Turkey. Also they are enforcing the charges in harbours more vigorously, mind you this is still the luck of the draw if you are not onboard most of the collectors don't worry, weekends you may not see anyone, if its raining you definitely wont see anyone and it appears if they can collect a small a amount of revenue each day that keeps everyone happy. We have been in a harbour where the authorities have not worried about our friends on the boat next door who were just sitting on the back talking to us at the time, but have collected the fees from us and the people the other side of us, it is a very strange system they have here but we can visualise it is only going to get worse.

When the weather finally improves we can then start some of the many winter jobs that need addressing and also to get to know some of other liveaboards that our here in Messolonghi. Throughout the summer with the harbours here in Greece being very busy there have been a number of times that we have returned to the boat to find yet another mark, lose pulpit or a bent stanchion, we now have 3 bent stanchions that need replacing as well as a number of other jobs, lets hope we can get most of our jobs completed this winter.

We will update around Christmas time to let you know how our winter jobs are going and also how we are settling in at the marina, last winter we made many good friends let's hope that this year is the same. Have a look at the photos titled (l) PHOTOS Greece Summer 2010.
Comments
Vessel Name: Ashby Girl
Vessel Make/Model: Bavaria
Hailing Port: Brighton
Crew: Captain Mike Baker & First mate Debbie Baker
About: Both Debbie & myself are currently in full time employment, live in a nice house, have lovely holidays in exotic countries, enjoy life to the full. By spring 2009 we hope to have learnt how to sail, sold up and set sail to live a life upon the high seas.
Extra: Yes your thinking, nothing new, loads of people have fulfilled their dreams. However we are not wealthy and we can only do this on a very tight budget.

ASHBY GIRL

Who: Captain Mike Baker & First mate Debbie Baker
Port: Brighton