14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Mango Flies to New York City

01 October 2008 | Culebra, Puerto Rico
CURRENT LOCATION: Anchored in Ensenada Honda, near town on Culebra
18 18.326' N, 065 17.979' W

Puerto Rico has a rather notorious reputation for the less than humane treatment of their stray dog population. Known as satos, there are many more of these homeless mutts than there are shelter facilities dedicated to dealing with them. This is indicative of a huge cultural divide between what we are accustomed to in the way of animal treatment in the continental US compared to some of the stories we have heard while here in the islands. I will spare you the gruesome details.

In Culebra, there is a volunteer organization which is focused on improving the situation for satos on our little island. Animal Welfare of Culebra raises money (largely from donations) to pay for dogs and cats to be spayed and neutered. In addition, they work to find good homes for these potential pets.

Our friends Mark & Terrie (owners of Palmetto Guesthouse) have been active participants in these animal welfare efforts, adopting or fostering animals in their home. Often, it seems that the canine and feline population of the guesthouse outnumbers the human occupancy.

For the past 3 months, Mango (pictured above) has found a comfortable home at the Palmetto. During this time, he experienced a remarkable and dramatic transition from abused street dog to a pet who was loved and well cared for. His quiet and friendly manner reflected this attention, and he quickly evolved from a mangy mutt to a visibly happy and healthy pup.

This was to be but an interim stop on his way to a more permanent housing situation. While staying at the Palmetto this summer, one of their guests met and fell in love with Mango. Anne hails from New York City and just happens to be the owner and hostess of a guesthouse, East Village Bed & Coffee. Therefore, Mango's experience as a meeter and greeter of tourists will be of great service in the years to come.

I mention this story because Sheryl was fortunate enough to be able to assist Terrie in the transition effort for Mango this past week. They traveled to the big island by ferry with dog crate in tow and rented a car. Mango had to make a quick stop at the vet and then it was on to the airport. It was a bittersweet event for foster parent Terrie as her ward was placed in the crate and boarded the plane to start his new life in the big city.

The American Airlines employees pictured below, Jennifer and Suzanne (Terrie is in the middle), are kind enough to contribute their efforts to the cause. These two NYC based flight attendants checked Mango as their personal baggage, saved the animal welfare program the cost of shipping him as cargo, and made certain that he was delivered safely to Anne.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Sheryl's role as Assistant Mango Mover and official photographer of the event made for a long day. She left the boat just as the sun was rising and returned several hours after sunset rowing a dinghy through the darkness. It was a long, productive, and thoroughly rewarding day.



Site Meter



Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]