14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Return to the Coast

04 March 2006 | Whortonsville, NC
Doug Mayle
As you faithful readers may note, it has been some time since I made an entry on this blog site. Despite the impassioned outcry for information about what is going on in Sheryl's and my life, I endeavor to keep this blog focused on all things sailing oriented.

With that said, let me catch you up on what has transpired since we last saw Ashiya Jan 1st, 2006. Work has required me to travel extensively in 2006. From places I visit routinely (Boston, MA; Princeton, NJ; and Mystic, CT) to places diametrically opposed along the weather spectrum (Gothenburg, Sweden and Freeport, Bahamas).

With my all-to-frequent absences, Sheryl has taken her exercise efforts indoors and joined a fitness center. She works out every evening throughout the week and most weekends, too. In addition to sweating over standard cardio equipment, she is doing some strength training and trying out class-based training including everything from cardio-kickboxing to balancing on a bosu ball. Her motivation is to develop strength, agility, and balance which will serve her well aboard a sailboat in a rough swell. Although I am certain that being in good physical shape could only help in such conditions, I must say, without bias, that she is going to look absolutely stunning catching rays on the bow of Ashiya while sailing along in calm waters this summer.

Several weeks ago, on a rare appearance here in Durham, North Carolina, I accompanied Sheryl to a Saturday morning cardio-kickboxing class. I had participated in this type of activity nearly 6 years ago, and although my mind seemed to remember the moves quite well (like riding a bicycle), my body was obviously rusty. Fifteen minutes into the class pain began to shoot through my lower back. Unfortunately, some form of misdirected pride would not allow me to quit at that point. Forty-five minutes later I exited the class with tears in my eyes. Two weeks passed before I was able to perform any movement without pain, and although much improved, the residual effects of my overzealous kickboxing gyrations are still evident. I definitely need to focus on strengthening my core muscles, because chronic back pain on a boat could make life miserable.

In other news, Sheryl and I have spent the long, cold winter nights considering the notion of selling our house. We have finally come to the conclusion that we will put it up for sale in April and move to an apartment in Cary, near to Sheryl's work. After considerable number-crunching, I do believe that this will save us a little money. Considering the extra mileage we plan to put on the car this year driving to the coast, it will certainly extend the life of the good ole PT Cruiser. Anyone interested in buying a home in Woodcroft?

So, now that we are up-to-date on what has transpired in the interim since the last blog entry, let's talk sailing. Well, maybe not sailing per se (because it is still a bit too cold for us to head out on the water), but we did go out to the coast to visit Ashiya and a few members of the Whortonsville Yacht and Tractor Club this weekend [In attendance were: Robert & Tammy, Richard, Stefan, Art, and Garrett.]

We awoke early on Saturday morning to drive to Oriental, with hopes of arriving in time to peruse the 'Spring nautical fleamarket.' Unfortunately, by the time we arrived all the good stuff had already been purchased, largely by Garrett. We met him, Robert and Tammy at the Inland Waterway Provision Company. Robert and Tammy had been so kind as to think of us and purchase for us two collapsible water containers. The reason that they associated us with the need to have these water carriers is that the last time they saw us, in December, we were carrying milk jugs of water from the bathhouse to fill our small onboard tank. You see, Nick shuts off the water to the docks at the first sign of freezing temperatures. Thank you, Robert and Tammy for such a thoughtful gift.

After we enjoyed a really good cup of coffee from The Bean, we drove on to Whortonsville. Ashiya was floating nicely in the middle of the slip, held fast by her docklines, just as we had left her two months ago. All systems were in fantastic shape. Both battery banks were showing 11Volts and had plenty of juice to start Mr. Engine Sir. We idled the engine long enough to warm it up and checked out the rest of the boat. There was one spot where we have a small leak, but there was no real water damage. More importantly, the bilge was bone dry.

We hung out around the docks getting caught up with everyone throughout the afternoon. And, although the whole gang was planning to go to the Southern Palace (a.k.a. the 'Twin Towers') for dinner, Sheryl and I decided to drive back to Durham that evening, so that we could spend the entire day on Sunday working on preparing the house for sale. Not to mention that our home would not be getting down to a low of 28 deg that evening. The same could not be said for Ashiya. I am certain, however, that warm weather is out there on the horizon and is heading our way. Check back often, faithful reader, for before long this blog will become ripe with stories of summertime sailing.

Until then.
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]