14 June 2009 | Annapolis, MD
11 June 2009
10 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
04 June 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
31 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
29 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
26 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
25 May 2009 | Little Creek Marina, Norfolk, VA, USA
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
13 May 2009 | through 21-May-2009
12 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
11 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
07 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
04 May 2009 | St George's Town, Bermuda
21 April 2009 | through 02-May-2009

Carolina Currents and Cruising Conversation

29 January 2007 | Whortonsville, NC
Doug Mayle
Before I begin this week's blog entry, allow me to comment upon the selection of the photo above. Sheryl recently purchased a new camera, for the purpose of capturing all the wonderful experiences we intend to have while cruising. The camera is advertised as being, 'shockproof from 5 feet and waterproof to 10 feet.' Although we will have to wait for warmer weather and clearer water to test the latter and are hoping never to test the former, Sheryl has been putting the other features of the camera through its paces. As Sheryl looks for a willing subject to photograph, which does not describe me, Prudence is always willing to show off her photogenic qualities. Hence the selection of another photo of our Southern Cross tied up in her slip at Ensign Harbor.

While at the coast this week, Sheryl and I had the opportunity to share coffee and conversation with the publishers of Carolina Currents , Rob and Jo Lucey. Rob and Jo have just returned from several years of cruising aboard their 38-foot Morgan sloop, Sea Spell, most recently visiting the islands of the Caribbean. They are currently docked in Oriental and are putting all of their time and effort into the production, publication and distribution of "Carolina Currents: The North and South Carolina Sailor's Magazine." They have produced two issues and are currently working on a third.

It was great to have an opportunity to talk with them about their cruising experiences, living aboard, their ongoing transition back to land, and some of the details of their fine publication. With any luck, Sheryl and I may be able to get some words and pictures into print. More importantly, though, we really enjoyed their company. Two hours melted away before we knew it, and it seemed as though the conversation could have gone on all day. We are hopeful that we can create more opportunities to share time with them both in the future.

The remainder of the weekend was focused mainly upon relaxation, punctuated with a few boat chores. Inland Waterway Provision Company was holding a 25% off sale on EVERTHING in the store, so we spend a few more kitty dollars than had been in the original plan for the weekend. On the positive side, the expenditures were useful boat upgrades as we came away with a new cleat and plumbing for our stern rail grill. The new cleat attaches to the track for the jib fairlead and can be used as a mid-ship cleat for a spring line, something which was previously absent on Prudence. The plumbing includes a 'T' fitting connected to the galley propane tank which allows us to connect a line to the stern rail grill and forgo those pesky little screw-on propane bottles. A quick test shows that the system works great! We should be able to grill fish or heat up the pressure cooker without adding heat down below. Of course, the true testing will have to wait until the weather turns a bit warmer. These days, any surplus heat generated in the galley is quite welcome, especially after sundown.

Finally, since the photo above clearly shows Prudence still in the slip, I will provide an update on our engine status. Since it had been about 2 months since we had started our engine, we decided that it would be a good idea to circulate the oil and recharge the batteries. I used duct tape in an attempt to seal the leaking heat riser, and we fired up the engine. It took two tries to get it to fire, but once started, it purred like a kitten (a kitten which was dripping salt water onto the transmission and drive shaft coupling). I set a bucket under the leak and let the engine run for about an hour and a half, then rinsed the area with fresh water and let the engine compartment dry out. Finally, I used a bit of penetrating oil to drive off any remaining moisture and protect against corrosion.

We hope to get in touch with our mechanic this week and turn his attention to the task of manufacturing our new bronze heat riser and re-plumbing the exhaust system. With the holidays now past and his return from a Florida vacation, we are hopeful that he will be able to get us up and running soon. It could just be my imagination, but Prudence seems to be tugging at her docklines, anxious to get out and stretch her sails.

Believe me, dear Reader, when we get out on the water again you will be the first to know. Stay tuned.
Vessel Name: Prudence
About:
We are Doug & Sheryl, owners and crew of the sailing vessel Prudence.

This blog starts in 2005, when we initially had the idea to quit our jobs and live on a sailboat while we cruised to the Caribbean. At that time we had never owned a boat and had no experience sailing. [...]